Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Amp install, has anyone managed to rid the whine by ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:00 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

A shield should always only be grounded on one end only. There's nothing wrong with a shielded signal cable if it's done correctly. I prefer shielded cable on low voltage signals to remove the induced noise.

I always decide which end I want grounded then fold back the other end of the shield and tape it down.

Don't confuse the power ground with the shield ground. The amp and the reciever both require their power to be grounded, but the shielded signal cable between them is what requires only one end to be grounded.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:32 AM
Body Roll
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
A shield should always only be grounded on one end only. There's nothing wrong with a shielded signal cable if it's done correctly. I prefer shielded cable on low voltage signals to remove the induced noise.

I always decide which end I want grounded then fold back the other end of the shield and tape it down.

Don't confuse the power ground with the shield ground. The amp and the reciever both require their power to be grounded, but the shielded signal cable between them is what requires only one end to be grounded.
Yes. Here's the electrical reason behind this- Let's say you've got two components that you want to connect together, and they're far enough away from each other that their grounds are at different voltages. Connecting the grounds will cause a current to run through the ground wire (because of the ground voltage difference). You want this current running on the power ground wire, because if this current is running right next to the signal wire for a long distance (as in a shielded cable), the ground current will induce a voltage onto the signal which comes out as an audible hum.

So grounding the signal shield at one end prevents this ground current from running right next to the signal wire and forces it to run on the power ground.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:08 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

fantastic thread,
So to sum up,
1- remove negative (-) from radio
2- or take a negative (-) from radio to negative (-) of amp and use of unshielded audio cables if possible
3- or ground the radio out RCA that goes to the amp, to the radio ground
did I get it right....

Quick Reply: Amp install, has anyone managed to rid the whine by ....