Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp install, has anyone managed to rid the whine by ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
cy7878
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp install, has anyone managed to rid the whine by ....

I installed an Alpine PDX amp to the stock CR210 radio. Periodically I get a whine that was unbearable. It doesn't change pitch with the engine RPM, but does change pitch if I moved the radio around its cage. At the advice of Crutchfield prep (who thought I was installing a Blaupunkt unit that I bought from them which did the same whining thing but only louder), I cut the negative wire off the factory hardness. I was going to route the wire to the trunk ground point where my amp is grounded. But also at his advice, I tried to see if the radio would power on even without the neg wire and it actually did! The prep told me there was a chance that the radio will get enough power off the antenna to turn on. If not, I can always run the negative all the way back to the trunk.

Since I'm powering the speakers off the amp, not having its own negative power feed actually wasn't a problem. And now my electrical whine is gone.

Has anyone else done this? I'm curious.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wierd. Never done that myself.

dave
Old 04-20-2009, 10:58 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine. The radio is stilled "grounded" through the antenna rand/or radio cage.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:07 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Couple things that should solve the problem.
1) Run the ground from the radio to the amplifier grounding point. (Looks like you have the covered)
2) Use UNSHIELDED RCA Cable from the radio to the amp...NOT SHEILDED Cables....they make high quality UNSHIELDED Cables...(I know, I know...ancient chinese secret)
Old 04-21-2009, 12:50 AM
travanx
Pro

why unshielded?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:47 PM
cy7878
Instructor

Originally Posted by J.B.H.
Couple things that should solve the problem.
1) Run the ground from the radio to the amplifier grounding point. (Looks like you have the covered)
2) Use UNSHIELDED RCA Cable from the radio to the amp...NOT SHEILDED Cables....they make high quality UNSHIELDED Cables...(I know, I know...ancient chinese secret)
What I didn't realize before about running the ground point to the amp was that still entails cutting the hardness wire inorder to rid the first ground loop. As I tried with clips using another wire I still got the whine, but what I was doing was just creating another loop.

Had I known this problem can be solved, I would not have cut the wire. Instead just pop the pin out of the hardness, which will aloow me to reinstall the pin. Now, if I have to take the amp out, I would have to connect another wire to patch the one I cut.

Last edited by cy7878; 04-21-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: adding
Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by travanx
why unshielded?
I don't remember...but it works... (wow, if that isnt a technical answer, I dont know what is..hahah)
Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J.B.H.
I don't remember...but it works... (wow, if that isnt a technical answer, I dont know what is..hahah)
Does this sound like the reason?
http://www.mediacollege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388
Old 04-21-2009, 08:16 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Sounds about right...I would actually use Audison or other high quality unsheilded cables...and...running a wire from the ground on the radio to the ground on the amp...should take care of the probem...
Basically run the ground the way you run the amp control wire...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

I will actually be hooking up my new stereo setup this weekend
Kenwood Excelon KDC x-993
Audison Srx4
Hertz HSK 125's
Old 04-21-2009, 09:15 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you have a ground loop...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)
Grounding the radio back to the battery (or solid ground at the amp) removes the common ground wire between the noise generator and the noise receiver (in this case, your stereo receiver).
Old 04-22-2009, 05:11 AM
cy7878
Instructor

Originally Posted by kjr914
Sounds like you have a ground loop...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)
Grounding the radio back to the battery (or solid ground at the amp) removes the common ground wire between the noise generator and the noise receiver (in this case, your stereo receiver).
You are right. I had a ground loop. Just cutting the neg wire off the hardness without doing anything else rid the noise. Now I think now my radio is getting a negative ground from the antenna because I have not connected anything in place of the wire that I cut.

That's the funny thing. I didn't think this can work when I heard it. But I figure I had nothing to lose by trying. The worse that can happen is the radio won't turn on because there is no negative going to the radio. In which case I can just proceed with plan to run the ground wire back to the trunk.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:15 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

This is an old ground loop trick I have been using for years. Put a small piece of wire on the outer terminal of the rca. Tape it in place . Then put the rca back in the radio. I used a barrel conector just to show you how to do it. Then ground the other side of the wire to the chasis of the radio. That will get rid of 99% of any noise.
Attached Images      
Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 PM
travanx
Pro

So the idea is to ground the radio only to the amp? I have my radio grounded to the stock wire and also to the amp and get some whine sometime.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Using unshielded cables accomplishes the same effect.

Quick Reply: Amp install, has anyone managed to rid the whine by ....