Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Thanks for the Porthos tip, Rome. This looks exactly like what I had in mind:
http://www.porthos.com/Silver-Oak-2-...-In-Wooden-Box
If your giftee is a wine snob, he/she may be a little disappointed that this particular gift box includes the Silver Oak from Alexander Valley, as opposed to Napa. If he/or she is not, I'm sure they'll love it. (Personally, as a mere mortal, I find it hard to tell the difference, but I know wine snobs are particlar about this).

If he/she is particular about their wine, you might want to go with a single bottle of Far Niente. (Someone else also mentioned above). It's in your price range, and no one can quibble with that selection.

Good luck.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
Your local wine store should be able to help you out with gift presentation. They may or may not have wooden boxes but should have very nice cardboard boxes. Either way, don't limit yourself because of a nifty wooden box. Mike
Thanks for the reality check. These guys are good, and not to far away near UCLA, and I expect they can hook me up in the manner in which you described:
http://www.wallywine.com/

Originally Posted by rome
If your giftee is a wine snob, he/she may be a little disappointed that this particular gift box includes the Silver Oak from Alexander Valley, as opposed to Napa....If he/she is particular about their wine, you might want to go with a single bottle of Far Niente. Good luck.
No, she's not a snob. Probably a 8/10 wine drinker. I'm adding Far Niete to the list. My concern is that if it's "too nice," she may put it down forever and with no cellar capability in warm Pasadena. That's what appeals to me about 2 x $60 bottles.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Wally's has a great selection. They also have a gift section on their website.

I bought a bottle of 67 bordeaux from them as a gift and it was phenomenal.

Quick Reply: OT: Nice wine gift for +/- $125?