Bonster -- 993 Trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonster -- 993 Trip

Gonna be in Tucson by around 3PM -- need a place for a car wash (BAD), laundry, nice motel, and a lovely (BEEF!!!) dinner, THANKS!!! Sounds like a 993 meet to me. P-car love . . .
Old 04-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

BBQ??? Woot!!! Gotta go sleep now. LOVE my "Bluepurr" (that is his name, like it or not, lol). D
Old 04-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, they do sorta purr, at Interstate speeds.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never watched soap operas but this thread reminds me of one (in a positive way). Been following the thread for a while. Can't believe it but I'm sure I'll follow it to it's conclusion. Best of luck on the trip-have fun!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:33 AM
bart1
Race Car

Hope the trip goes perfectly! These road trips with new 993 are great. You'll notice a lot of people checking out the car.

And bluepurr won't mind getting dirty for the sake of a road trip. They are soldiers that way.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay . . . so how's this . . . Pinnacle Peak in Tucson at say, 6PM? Is this is as good as it was 15 some-odd years ago? If not, where's a good place for us to meet? I know there are probably only a few in this area, but some is better than none! Cell phone is 916-320-4020. Give a call (and leave a message -- I do NOT talk on the phone while driving, lol) and let me know what's up. Or just post here.

We are packing up right now, and should (SHOULD) be on the road not later than 8:30 this morning, after getting gas and eating breakfast. That ought to put us in Tucson at around three in the afternoon or so. If we honestly had our druthers, we'd rather meet up at someone's house and bring some steaks to BBQ and some wine to drink. That would be PERFECT. But we'll most certainly settle for a restaurant.

I might not be back online for a while -- but rest assured, I will be 'tuning' Bluepurr in the mean time.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 PM
aaronazevedo
Instructor

Have fun Bonnie! It was great meeting you! I am so happy that my little old car is going to be so well loved by a fellow rennlister!

I'll follow the trail of my old (your new) 993 with sadness, curiosity, and genuine excitement.

Thank goodness my new (new to me) '06 M3 convertible will be waiting for me when I get home from my business trip to China.

Be well!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:33 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by 95C4VanIsle
I have never watched soap operas but this thread reminds me of one (in a positive way). Been following the thread for a while. Can't believe it but I'm sure I'll follow it to it's conclusion. Best of luck on the trip-have fun!
+1. Almost like being there. The story continues...........
Old 04-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay . . . I guess nobody can make it to join us for dinner. No matter, we'll be there. Since nobody replied yet, we'll be there more like 6:15 or so. Give me a call at 916-320-4020 if interested. If you don't get ahold of me but wanna come, just look for the car.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I will post at least a pic or two after dinner. I can't believe this . . . I washed the car at 9 this morning. I even put a coat of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax on it. The front is FULL of bugs. Yuck. Valentine One worked very well, and I cruised at 100 for a good hour to do the Italian tune-up. Can't believe how quick we got here . . . and we goofed off quite a bit. I LOVE this car. Enjoy your Bimmer, Aaron -- I'll choose the other German muscle.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Rinty
Drifting

The front is full of bugs...
You mean, like this?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh gosh, Rinty, not quite that bad, but not far from it. I have seen where a good shooting of PAM or other cooking spray helps get those dang things off. It shows up hard core on colors like yours and mine. Man! My car looked SO beautiful this morning after the wash and wax (DUH - should have taken a pic). Now it's got pollen and bugs on it. Bluk. Stupid Arizona (no offense, lol). Make that stupid SoCal AND Arizona. Ha!

For those who might be watching . . . tell me something . . . about 250 or so miles into today's leg of this trip, out of nowhere the ! light for the drive belts came on. I immediately slowed down, threw on the flashers, and exited I-8 east. Before I could even leave the freeway, the light went back out. I looked under the hatch and saw no visible problem. I left the hatch open and let the engine cool, after which I checked tension and track of the belts -- all seems okay.

Okay . . . well, the AC belt seems a little lax by comparison, but it is staying in its track on its pulley. However, the AC has been terrible on this baby. I mean, I'm lucky if I've got 55' coming out of the vents. Any ideas?

The vehicle is not overheating, so I do not know what the heck to think. I am nowhere near an OBD1 reader, so I cannot tell what threw the error code. After I got back on the road, the same light would come on for about ten seconds, then go off for between five and fifteen minutes. Wash, rinse, repeat scenario. It did NOT do this upon test drive, nor any time until today. Help?

THANKS!!! Meanwhile, onto Texas we go tomorrow. YeeHAWWWW!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bonni,
I live in Tampa and I used to leave my thermostat at 18-20C but it never seemed to get that cold. Then I realized if I just set it to all the way cold it made a big difference. I think it's the only way the flaps on the mixer box just shut off the flow of hot air off the exhaust boxes. Try that out if you haven't already.

If you turn your AC on recirc, fan speed on 4, and max cool, you should get the following after ten minutes - but I think you need to be running on the road to achieve these.
With ambient air temp of 86 deg F, you should have 45-50F at the center vents
With ambient air temp of 95 deg F, you should have 48-55F at the center vents

Sorry to say you are pretty close.... I recall reading in another post that you have to have just the right amount of refrigerant in the system for it to work well (not too much, not too little).

dave
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 PM
bart1
Race Car

As far as the light, you can do the flash test on OBDI cars. I'm on my iPhone, but maybe somebody can post the procedure & codes. Um, the 993 AC is not great, but much better than a pre 90 model!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Figured out the problem -- it was indeed the sensor. It was intermittently getting stuck to where it would not slide along the belt. The cause seems to be some moderate corrosion on the aluminum (?) arm that it is attached to. Literally all I did was wiggle it, and no codes today. Wild! When I get home I will do a better job at cleaning it up in there, especially since I live only a couple of miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Lol.

Dave . . . thanks for that bit of advice. Yes, I have done all that -- but it still seems like it should do better. I am using the organic (me) thermometer right now. When I get home I will stick a thermometer in the vents and find out what's happening. Being in Florida, I really need better than what's currently occurring. That or I need to fill the pax seat with ice. Lol.

Quick Reply: Bonster -- 993 Trip