Sponsored by:

ROW M030 Alignment Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 02:48 PM
kapflaco
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROW M030 Alignment Problem

I hope someone may have some insight on this. I had the ROW m030 Bilstein HD setup installed a few months ago and am my mechanic / friend is having a hard time getting the front alignment settings right.

Basically the rear is set at RS height, but we cannot get the front end at or near ROW m030 ride height because there is too much negative camber per his alignment machine (visually it looks fine). My mechanic thinks that we need to get the front RS adjustable strut towers to dial in enough positive camber so that the front tires do not get chewed up too quickly. He says that he cannot get close to the 0.5 to 0.75 degrees of negative camber for the front recommended in Jeff's Rennlist DIY on ROW M030.

My car is a 1997 cab. that is only street driven. This does not sound right to me as I thought I would be able to lower everything to at least ROW M030 or lower without having to buy any other parts other than what was included in Gert's ROW M030 kit. Anyone venture a guess as to what might be the issue?

Thanks for your help!

Kendrick
Old 04-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested to see the response. Mine has just been lowered with the kit and has not gone for alignment yet.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm at Euro M030 ride height, and my rear camber cannot be brought into spec, which I was quite amazed, as M030 was a Porsche offered option. I did not install any other ancillary parts to the springs and shocks. Perhaps I should in order to stop eating rears so quickly?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:04 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should have details on my alignment next week. I think the plan is around RoW Sport height (M030) based on my request for it to be set "as low as I can go with no worry about rubbing." I believe I was somewhere around RoW Standard height to begin with, and the shop said they could go 10mm lower all around after looking at the car...

... but, I am having to replace the rear toe arms and in so doing decided to upgrade to ERP parts, so that will definitely muddy things a bit.

ROW Standard: Front 154mm, Rear 147mm
ROW Sport: Front 144mm, Rear 127mm

Anyway, I'll report back what I find.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:23 PM
kapflaco
Intermediate

Yeah, please do report back what you find. I had to replace my rear lower control arms at the time of install a few months back anyways as they were worn, but not because of any rubbing or lowering issues. Though I am still running 17" Cups that came with the car.

Ed., I believe that the rear camber is falling into spec. on mine, and that the front is the only issue. I know that there is an RS mount for the front struts as it is in the Porsche 993 repair manual, but I thought that was really intended to add extreme negative camber for track purposes and not really necessary for RoW M030. Maybe the track rats will chime in soon...
Old 04-18-2009, 11:25 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Kendrick,
You should not need any additional components for the front. Who is doing the alignment?

Andreas
Old 04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
kapflaco
Intermediate

My friend and long-time mechanic Pete Mikon at Euro-Imports. He always has a set of 911's in there, but works on other marques as well. Our relationship goes beyond trust. I do know that this is the first RoW M030 kit he has installed.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:09 PM
kapflaco
Intermediate

I just heard from Gert and I think the issue is that my mechanic is trying to get down to RS ride height. The kit is not meant to be lowered that much. I will post more as this evolves.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:10 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Typically the issue is that one cannot get enough negative camber. Even at RS height, which is quite low for a street car IMO, you should be able to get reasonable camber settings.

Quick Reply: ROW M030 Alignment Problem