Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blaupunkt Brisbane SD48 NRDS: Yeh or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:47 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Blaupunkt Brisbane SD48 NRDS: Yeh or Nay?

I just hate the way my Alpine stereo stands out, and I don't like the porsche factory head units.
This one caught my eye at Frys the other day. I had never seen a newer aftermarket head unit that could somewhat look good in a 993.

What do you guys think? http://www.blaupunkt.com/us/7648002310_main.asp

Is that a good alternative to the stock head units? I am sure the sound is not extraordinary, but it is cheap/modern and still looks early 90s enough for our cars. Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2009, 12:10 PM
tlwood99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I would be a "Nay."

Obviously this is subjective, but the Nak CD-400 is IMO the only way to go aesthetically. I got mine here: http://www.woofersetc.com/p760/CD400...-CD-Player.htm These are better than the OEM look, which was a little too modern for the car (and had lousy controls).

They are NOS, and while having first rate SQ, suffer from a high failure rate of the CD mechanism (and apparently 0 service). I went with this and have been very happy with it. If the CD fails, I will just rely on the iPOD hooked into the AUX channel.

There is also the Nak CD-300 that is cheaper. Not sure if it fits as well looks wise though.

The older Blaupunkts are good visually, if you can find them. Reputedly poor SQ though.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:20 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, having a CD player would be in keeping with a 14 year old car.

That Blaupunkt has great styling and looks very restrained compared to most modern head units. It would be nice if the display had another line or two of text, though.

Crutchfield has lots of comments here: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_023BBAN...684&tab=review
Old 04-13-2009, 01:35 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have it and I love it. I have no use for a CD player anymore so shedding the weight assoc. is a nice plus. I bet the whole unit weights less than half as much as other units. Literally weights nothing compared to regular unit. It's easy to use and you can pick the screen color. Blends in quite well compared to all the other noise you have to choose from.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:34 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you post a pic of the stereo "on" /screen activated...curious to see how the LCD in the new blaupunkt matches with the other lights in the cabin (especially the OBC if you have one)....

I agree...this looks pretty good for keeping with the "tone" of the rest of the interior.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by civerson4
Could you post a pic of the stereo "on" /screen activated...curious to see how the LCD in the new blaupunkt matches with the other lights in the cabin (especially the OBC if you have one)....
I agree...this looks pretty good for keeping with the "tone" of the rest of the interior.
Please post the pic of the unit turned on to match the interior. I read up on this unit and Crutchfield said it has multiple color displays. This is the issue I have with aftermarket stereos. None of them match the factory dash illumination colors. So I agree with Chad post up pics with the unit on if you can. Thanks

Mike
Old 04-13-2009, 04:49 PM
daltvater
Pro

Took some for you all. You can pick from something like 4000 different colors, I did just notice that the **** is always blue. These are taken with the screen on full bright. I drive with it at its most dim setting so at night it doesn't illuminate the cab but you can still see the it. (basically grey and black is my setting) which looks factory to me except for the blue ****.

Really bright because they are over exposed.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:50 PM
daltvater
Pro

Bright ones were taken sans flash, hence over exposed and bright looking Same setting on the radio though.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I went on Crutchfield and read the specs and reviews. Really for what I want out of a stereo (ability to match my interior) this fit the bill perfectly. I am focusing on the other parts of the car and not a super intense stereo system. So I went ahead and ordered one. My system will have door speakers with tweeters and rear speakers all run by a 4 channel amp. Thanks for the help daltvater, this was a decision that was easy to make once I saw it in your car.

Mike
Old 04-13-2009, 05:41 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks very nice.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 PM
daltvater
Pro

I looked forever to find something clean looking the Nakamichi looks cool but for that price it should come with speakers or something.

I killed the rear speakers and put 6.5 in the fronts. Amazing how little sound you actually get out of the rears. I don't even notice a difference.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:54 PM
daltvater
Pro

On the stereo install one thing of note. I didn't hassle with hooking it up myself. I went to one store that said it would be $300 to hook it up. (because it was German etc) Then I took it to CarToys and they charged me $40 and did it in $15 minutes while I waited. Just thought I would give you a heads up in case the same happens.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:10 PM
tlwood99
Intermediate

Looks much better installed than in the website photo. I stand corrected. It looks good.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:16 PM
daltvater
Pro

Originally Posted by tlwood99
Looks much better installed than in the website photo. I stand corrected. It looks good.
It ain't pretty but nothing is, someone should start a company that designed stereos that don't look like they all belong in an import tuner. They would make a killing.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 PM
tlwood99
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by daltvater
It ain't pretty but nothing is, someone should start a company that designed stereos that don't look like they all belong in an import tuner. They would make a killing.

I would argue that Nakamichi did just that, then promptly went broke (of course, it would have helped if their product lasted more than a year).

I could niggle about the blue and aluminum ****, but its pretty subdued. All in all I think you found a reasonably priced, and no doubt more reliable option.

Quick Reply: Blaupunkt Brisbane SD48 NRDS: Yeh or Nay?