Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Amp under the passenger seat - Measurement and some options

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:46 AM
shu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes do the speakers......there are many threads on what fits. I just completed my focal VRS polyglas component speakers in doors. I actually removed all the "focal" emblems on the grills and it looks very close to stock. I'll post some pics later. I'll probly install the new JVC AVX-77 this weekend. Havent decided on an amp as of yet.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:54 AM
shu
Racer

focal vrs components

new head unit (JVC AVX 77) full touch screen
I installed dynamat in the doors when the panels were out...... The sound is amazing!

Last edited by shu; 05-21-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Why didn't you keep the stock tweeter housing? It looks like the aft crease from the housing is still in the door.

Do you like the headunit? I checked it out on Crutchfield and it looks cool, but it seems like there is something that prevents DVDs from playing when the car is moving. Does the headunit have enough power to drive the speakers or will you have to install an amp?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:12 PM
shu
Racer

I did considered putting the tweeter in the pod but it just didnt fit quite right. Stuck out a 1/4" . I could have angled it in there (did a test fit) but the sound was blocked by the pod. Im still happy with the install. Yes there is a little crease by the pod....Ive been trying to figure a way to get that out.

As for the JVC AVX77, I am really enjoying it. The DVD player while the parking brake is on....... its easily bypassed. As for looks, very subtle and you can change the background image color and text color. Theres infinite possibilities. I have it set with a black / plain background with white text.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:48 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

These Focals look very nice. What size are they?
I would not worry about the crease around the tweeters.
Dremel would be the only way to make them fit in these damn stock pods, but your setup looks great as is.
I like the head unit too. Nice choice.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:35 AM
shu
Racer

I did dremel the inside of the tweeter pod but was still not happy with how the focal tweets sat. I think they are the newer, bigger 1.1 ti tweets or something. The ones I have seen at car toys were smaller.

Anyways, the focal components are the 165VRS (6.5" slim fit woofer 2.2" depth). Yeh, Im pretty happy with the headunit. The only con so far is that scrolling thru the ipod is slow.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:08 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes there is a little crease by the pod....Ive been trying to figure a way to get that out.
A body shop guy taught me a trick for that. Try heating it up with a hairdryer. You need to get it pretty hot but the vinyl can take a fair amount of heat (think how hot it gets in the sun). It worked wonders on some wrinkles I had in an old Benz console.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:52 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

My rear deck slightly wrinkled after I left the car in the sun too long. I'd be careful.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:44 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Update: I started to install my MB Quart 3 component system. I first thought that I will not be able to fit the mid and woofer under the grill. The woofers are not a problem but there is not much room fur the mid because they have a fairly big magnet. It needed some thinking but I found a way to get it done. The only way to effectively use the small room was to mount the woofer and crossover on a bracket made from plywood which fits the mounting holes of the old Nokia speaker enclosure and mount the mids directly on the door pocket. This needed some patience and basic mechanical skills but it fits and looks completely stock. After I figured everything out, the second pocket took me 30 minutes this morning to mount the mid. With this solution you might think that the MB quart system is built for this.

I will post pictures later.

P.S.: I fixed the broken holes in the door handles too. The post a couple of days ago came at the right time...
Old 05-24-2009, 12:36 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Update: I am done with the installation of my MBQuart 3 component door system (handmade in Germany like our 993s) !!! Everything fitted well but the Tweeters took more time than expected. They are very small and fit the OEM housing but I did not want to glue them. MB Quart delivered an angled bracket but to mount it it into the OEM housing it needed some dremeling. Next problem was that I needed to take off (cut off) and drill the OEM mounting plate to install the MBQuart bracket over it. However, with some patience I got it in. I took my time and got it all done over a weekend with watching some Bundesliga soccer in between.

The sound is very, very good but I did not spend any time to fine tune and I have not listened to my favorite tunes, too.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:47 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Sounds great, I for one will look forward to seeing what your custom enclosures look like.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:34 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

I am on my way to the airport. No time for a lot of text but the pics are in kind of a sequence.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:44 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

That's sweet, will look forward to more pics if you have them and any add'l info...
Old 05-25-2009, 03:08 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Nice!
Could you by any chance post a pic of your rear speaker grills? I am thinking about getting the HiFi grills for my car.

Cheers,

Johan
Old 05-25-2009, 10:41 AM
zone5
Burning Brakes

e9stibi--
I was wondering, is it possible with your set up to mount the bass speaker to the hole in the panel rather than constructing an enclosure? Or is the speaker too deep? Or is there interference with the mid etc etc??

Quick Reply: Amp under the passenger seat - Measurement and some options