Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

GT3 Seats Install - Complete!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:55 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Have been reading old threads for GT3 seat installation info - the loss of headroom seems to be a common complaint. Can you guys who have these seats please measure the seat to headliner distance shown in the photos below & post here?

Ideally for 3 scenarios:
1) modified 996 sliders only
2) 996 sliders w/ BK lowering brackets (R-9078 / R-9079 http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9079.php)
3) BK floor mounts (R-9082 / R-9083 http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9082.php)

'H-point' to headliner - looks further back along roof due to angle of photo, the end of the tape measure is really at the rear / outside corner of the sunroof:

Add 2" for the tape measure case = 36" total.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I will do this later tonight with the BK arrangement. if I forget, please pm me.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts

I have the BK floor mounts & it measures 38".
Old 06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nurburger
I have the BK floor mounts & it measures 38".
You provided the data for the same setup that I have. I assume that you have the BK mounts that connect to slider (e.g. Recaro) and not the brackets for direct floor mounting.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by e9stibi
You provided the data for the same setup that I have. I assume that you have the BK mounts that connect to slider (e.g. Recaro) and not the brackets for direct floor mounting.
I think he has the direct floor mounts - without sliders.

Which sliders do you have? Recaro or 996?

Thx!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Mine are bolted directly to the floor using the BK mounts & spacers - no sliders. I'm 6'5" & fit with room to spare.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:04 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ToSi,
I found the rake of the seat helps as well. I'm on BK sliders on the factory rail positions. Tilting the seat backwards, gave me needed room (an impt ~1/2" or so), but makes it a slightly longer reach to the steering wheel. I'm 6', but beware just using someone's height as we are all different torso lengths. I think your measurement is a decent idea for comparison.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:00 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

97 cm on Recaro sliders.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

97cm = ~38 1/8" so virtually the same as Nurburger's floor mounts. Interesting.

E9, which BK mounts do you have? The 9079? which front mounting hole are you using?

Nurburger, thanks for the quick reply!

KJR, agree that tilt is critical. Found these photos in another thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-r-9079-a.html) comparing the BK mounts to stock & the amount of tilt is huge.

Actually, this is the real reason behind my asking for measurements.. I wonder if folks are misinterpreting the more upright seating position for a loss of headroom when installing these seats. Granted there's bound to be some measurement error but if we add an inch to E9stibi to account for the BK brackets, the OE mounts should put the seat ~1" lower than the base 993.

What am I missing?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:16 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look great.
chuck
Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Originally Posted by ToSi

E9, which BK mounts do you have? The 9079? which front mounting hole are you using?
Yes, and I put them in the front top hole to tilt them a little bit for extra room. I am 5' 10" and have plenty of room with helmet and sunroof. If this is not enough, you just take out the cussions for track driving.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

I just installed these seats in my 993 using the OE mounts. Was also reading about worries on loss of head room etc. I am 5'8" and like an upright driving position. I find with the seats in I am actually lower then I was with the stock nonsport seats. Can measure for you if helpful

bill

Nurburger, thanks for the quick reply!

KJR, agree that tilt is critical. Found these photos in another thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-r-9079-a.html) comparing the BK mounts to stock & the amount of tilt is huge.

Actually, this is the real reason behind my asking for measurements.. I wonder if folks are misinterpreting the more upright seating position for a loss of headroom when installing these seats. Granted there's bound to be some measurement error but if we add an inch to E9stibi to account for the BK brackets, the OE mounts should put the seat ~1" lower than the base 993.

What am I missing?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by clib
I just installed these seats in my 993 using the OE mounts. Was also reading about worries on loss of head room etc. I am 5'8" and like an upright driving position. I find with the seats in I am actually lower then I was with the stock nonsport seats. Can measure for you if helpful

bill
yes please - if you don't mind, could you move the seat to approx. the same fore-aft location as mine? Base of backrest roughly inline with the rear most part of the parking brake lever.

Thanks for confirming the height suspicion - hopefully a measurement will put the issue to rest.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

yes please - if you don't mind, could you move the seat to approx. the same fore-aft location as mine? Base of backrest roughly inline with the rear most part of the parking brake lever.

Thanks for confirming the height suspicion - hopefully a measurement will put the issue to rest.
With the seat as close as i can figure in the same position and measuring up from there to the very rear of the sunroof (yours looks a bit more tilted back measuring angle which might make yours artificially seem a lower seat height then it is), I get 36.75 inches - yours looks right around 36. And that is about how it feels to me, an inch lower or so then stock.
PM me your cell phone or email and I can send the pics to you from my cell phone if interested.

That position by the way is with the seats ALL the way back. So you might want to mount them further back on the car's rails so you have enough leg room and easier in/out. I mounted mine to the first hole on the floor rail mounts on the car. You'll see what I mean when you start to mount them - just go back a few holes. Its nice to have some backward room to ease getting in/out of the car.

bill
Old 06-10-2012, 05:55 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I measured with my GT3 seats in with BK sliders in both rake positions (only the front moves) and with the seat in my close in driving position and slid back (i'm in the front mounting holes so I can still get stuff into the back seat). Since the rake change is only <1" or so at the front this doesn't seem to change the seat bottom level, thus headroom, at the back of the seat (as geometry would imply, thinking about it).

But this is a dead vertical measurement. I feel I get an extra 1/2" or so from the backward rake position, due to the more laid back torso positioning. It's just enough that I (at 6' tall) I clear the ceiling with my size Large Bell BR-1 helmet.

I measure approximately 37.75" dead vertically to the roof in all these configurations. In the more forward seating position, the tape measure hits the sunroof about 1" behind the center crease and in the back position, about 1" in front of the back of the sunroof opening.

Sorry I forgot you were measuring to the back of the sunroof, so my measurements are slightly different....

Quick Reply: GT3 Seats Install - Complete!