Best Garage Floor Epoxy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Best Garage Floor Epoxy?

I know this has been covered before but I am getting ready to do my garage floor and wondering what everyone is using? DO NOT want to use the Rust Oleum stuff but want better quality and I will be putting down 2 coats (tan + flecks) plus a clear coat. TIA!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:55 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out www.garagejournal.com for more info. I used the 2 part Epoxyshield (is that Rustoleums'?) from Home Depot last fall with good results so far. I did not clear coat. I've been running my heavy old Snap On floor jacks over it, axle stands and dropping tools and it certainly seems durable. It was only $200 for my 24x26 but you can spend a lot more money if you want to. The one part Epoxyshield is not as durable.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy at Artcrete did mine. He is a local guy, but I'm sure you can find a similar product/guy in your area. 2 part epoxy w/ flakes then 2 clear coats. Not cheap. Looks awesome. Holds up well. The surface is not hard tho. So if you plan to jack on it (which I do alot) you need to protect the surface. The key to a good installation is the preparation work.

My garage is in my basement and it went thru a major remodel...so I needed to coat the floor to cover the mods...

I get complements all the time.

http://www.artcretecolorado.com/

Bob-

Last edited by boulderbobo; 11-15-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A friend of mine just did Armourpoxy on his floor, see the attached link for his write-up in European Car Mag...

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/e...ear/index.html
Old 04-07-2009, 01:43 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a company that makes the best products for floors I've seen. The stuff my customers have had done with their products is amazing. They have franchise operations throughout the country.

www.designcti.com
Old 04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used http://ucoatit.com and after 5 years it is performing well. I did not put the clear coat down, I just used the basic product and have had zero issues. It is not cheap but it is definitely worth it. The first product I used was the Rustoleum and it barely lasted a year. Based on the time and money I spent for the Rustoleum and the time and money I spent on Ucoatit I would have spent more using the Rustoleum to keep it in the same shape. I've dropped tools, use my floor jack a lot and still no chipping or peeling.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

U Coat It is on my floor almost four years and it still looks great. ucoatit.com They have a life time warranty also.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2009, 01:56 PM
helmet155
Pro

I have something different in my new place and I really like it.

Previously I used the ucoatit.com for my 2 car wide x 2 car deep garage in Michigan and it was alright.

This time, I have a black thin felt type floor covering - similar to a weight room floor covering and it is glued down to the concrete. Probably about 5mm thick. I love it and I can vacuum it clean and it really keeps the dust to a minimum - essential if you want to keep your car clean for long periods of time.

I can't stress enough how much less dust is in the garage and how long my cars stay clean without the covers on.

When I work on a component that may leak oil/coolant/goo, etc I throw down plastic then cover the plastic with an old area rug that can be cleaned with degreaser and hosed off...
Old 04-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Other than epoxy (I need only a temp solution right now) has anyone used Race deck modular floors? http://www.racedeck.com/

It's something I can maybe take with me(?) (we're hoping to move up north one of these days.)

Bob- it looks like you live up near Chautauqua(?) I went to CU a million years ago....
Old 04-07-2009, 03:10 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

I would check into the Benjamin Moore product. That is what I may go with. It looks like they have a few options depending on the floor issues. I'm sure they all have this, but this looks to be pretty good stuff and you can probably get it local without paying shipping.

I don't see the info on their website.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:19 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Bob- it looks like you live up near Chautauqua(?) I went to CU a million years ago....
Hi Canyon, Yup. 7th and Cascade which is just under a block away from the park. Awesome neighborhood. My wife works for the university now in their aerospace group. Good folks.

What year did you graduate?
Old 04-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Hi Canyon, Yup. 7th and Cascade which is just under a block away from the park. Awesome neighborhood. My wife works for the university now in their aerospace group. Good folks.

What year did you graduate?
Thought it looked familiar
Nice part of town. A good friend Patty Limerick (US western historian) lives up there. I graduated in '85 and then went to the UW in Madison for grad school.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:59 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,210 Posts

I used Rustoleum 2 part epoxy 10 years ago and it has been perfect ever since. I have 2 spots with a small section that came up from dropping a very heavy tool on it otherwise no lifting or anything.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Would you guys mind summarizing the prep process? I know it should be acid etched first, but what if there is already an epoxy finish on the floor (a crappy one that, although it didn't lift, did stain)?

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:07 PM
jhummel68
Racer

IF the old paint is sticking well and you feel comfortable using that as your base coat, I'd go to Home Depot/Lowes and rent an orbital buffer and use sanding screens (36 grit) to roughen the surface. Adding a light mist of water to the floor while sanding will help keep the dust down. Remember, the finished product is only as good as the base it is on. If you rough the paint and don't strip it, acid etching may not work so well because the acid is designed to react with the concrete. The existing paint might keep the acid from getting to the concrete.

Quick Reply: Best Garage Floor Epoxy?