Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 993 Calendar

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm down to help as well. I work from home so I have some extra time usually. I think a thread could work OK as long as we preface it with the fact that there shouldn't be any "discussion" in there, only large (print sized) pictures of 993's for the calendar
Old 12-27-2009, 05:39 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks a million guys!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi Jim,

Couple of questions for you bfore coming up with some suggestions for you... What resolution will your printer (lulu.com) require? Reason I ask as some of the files can be pretty large in higher res pics..? Also - how many photos do you need hosted (yea - I know - there are 12 months in a year so at least 12 ) but have you decided on the final pics yet?? If not - you could need a gallery type application - as there could be dozens of higher res pics????

Anyway - I'm pretty sure between all of us we can come up with some pretty easy solutions for you, and I do have some code/servers/bandwidth laying around if you need???...

My thanks for pulling this together - and let me know your thoughts, OK?

My best to all for wonderful 2010!

John D.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I "think" I'm ok on bandwidth. Generally, the more pixels the better, but I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed. Of course, we only need 12 photos, but someone will have to select them. I figured I would assemble them all and then figure out a way to select the 12 that go up this year - it might be through some serious consultation with my wife and daughter, or maybe black993 or yourself can help out. I haven't resolved that issue yet.

Right now, I 'm thinking the posts will be to my me.com (apple account) public site and then I'll move the "published few" to lulu. Black993 (see your pm) is going to give it a test run and give me his thoughts (having made the same mistake as me - volunteering in public).

I think if we do a string here it'll get out of control.

JH
Old 12-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Actually, even though it'll add to the marginal cost, I think it'll take a couple months to get this out into production, so I'll probably do what we did a year or two ago and do a calendar through march or so of 2011. So, there may be more than 12 photos needed. We'll see!!

JH
Old 12-28-2009, 02:01 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sent Jim a PM about this but wanted to share here as well

A page back or so, someone had mentioned letting members choose and print their own 993 calendar pictures. Something where we could upload images, and then at any time go in, select 12 of them to download, and send them off to a printer (online or other) to be done at any point. Makes it a little more personal.

We would need to have a minimum size requirement (find out an average size needed for a quality print) and have someone who could moderate it for content and size (just in case, not that you guys would do anything crazy........ )

I looked into ImageVenue and created an account there, but I am getting some no-family-friendly pop-ups from their sponsors when viewing the images so I dont think that will fly.

Just throwing out ideas.....but as long as there are 12 993's and a few dates on some paper, I'll be sure to own one
Old 12-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Default We have a plan

Justin and I have gone back and forth over several options over the last couple of days and this is what we've come up with. Your comments are appreciated.

1) Everyone who has a photo they're interested in having on the calendar will email them to a smugmug gallery where they will be posted. We'll distribute the email address and details via a separate thread here on Rennlist. Haven't found any guidance on size of images, etc., but assume the more pixels the better.
2) We'll make the gallery with everyone's pictures available for everyone to visit. While there, you can rank photos and make comments and then we'll use that input to select the photos for the calendar.
3) If you want to do your own calendar via apple or some other service, you can download photos from the smugmug gallery and create your own calendar with your own selection of photos.
4) We'll take the selected photos and assemble a calendar at lulu.com where folks can go there and buy one or many. Lulu will take care of printing, packing, shipping, etc. Depending on final price, we'll probably bump the price a few $$ per calendar to make a contribution to Rennwish.

This way, folks can take their choice of photos if they'd like a customized calendar and/or buy the stock calendar and contribute a few $$ to a worthy cause at the same time. Thoughts/comments?? Pending something big that we've missed, we'll start the wheels turning on this.

It "should" work well. We'll see!! Justin/Jim
Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Default Starting the plan

Check out the new thread "Submit Photos for 2010 Calendar - Information Here!!" (which I would link to if I could figure out how to do it). I'm going to list all of the details there for submitting photos for others to use for their calendars, submitting photos for the "stock calendar" and details on ordering the new calendars.

Thanks. JH

Quick Reply: 2010 993 Calendar