Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 993S2 sold $36K

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009 | 06:03 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a tip and would prefer to have a 6-speed. I bought the tip as a daily driver and that only lasted for 14 months. I still love the 993 and shift it manually 100% of the time, but I long for the 6 speed. The Boxster S is a 6 speed so I can play with that when I want. But they are two different cars. If I could get Scott’s blue cab for a good price I would swap out the sports seat and other pieces and be happy.
Old 03-29-2009 | 06:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

wow, i thought that car was in pretty poor shape, especially with a nice chunk missing out of the front bumper.

I'll be frank, I wouldn't pay $37k for that example...

not to mention Paul Miller is one of the most expensive dealers I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
Old 03-29-2009 | 08:08 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
wow, i thought that car was in pretty poor shape, especially with a nice chunk missing out of the front bumper.

I'll be frank, I wouldn't pay $37k for that example...

not to mention Paul Miller is one of the most expensive dealers I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
I did not inspect the car closely since it was already sold (although maybe not!). The car was parked front nose to the fence so maybe there was something to hide. It was not a pristine, museum example but rather reflected 11 years of use with the typical front end chips and alike. But it was very nice and had lots of potential for a buyer who is interested in tips. A little TLC and nip and tuck would make it a beauty queen.
Old 03-29-2009 | 08:19 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

not to mention Paul Miller is one of the most expensive dealers I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.[/QUOTE]

Quadcammer -- Interesting you say that. I have visited a number of NJ Porsche dealerships and have been impressed with several and disappointed with a few too. Saturday I visited Paul Miller and Jack Daniels. The sales staff at Paul Miller seemed fairly attentive and had some decent showroom traffic. They were finalizing a sale on a 2006 997. Pleasant enough place.

On the other hand, I visited Jack Daniels and what a bunch of losers. I was the only person in the showroom. Three salesman were huddled at the front desk and did not even look up. An inexperienced 4th salesman finally approached me and could not tell the difference between a 2008 and 2009 C2 in the showroom. I have had positive dealings with them before but they need to clean house and fire the entire sales staff. In an environment when every sale counts, these yo yos need to get their *** kicked by the owners Mike and John Daniels. Sad thing is that Jack Daniels has taken over the now defunct Prestige Porsche and it is not a good sign to me that it was a good move by Porsche NA.
Old 03-29-2009 | 09:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atcbi5
My S is tip and I am probably going to sell it for a new Turbo. I don't know what the big fuzz is all about the tiptronic. I have both types and most of the time I want to be in the tip. My turbo will be tip, not that constant shifting clutch in out stuff. That stuff gets old quick. I was told by a very reputable mechanic here in South Fl, "nothing wrong with a tipy" I agree. That's how Porsche see's the future PDK!
Let me be the first to say . . . - 993.

"Gets old quick"? Hmmm, maybe I could interest you in a fine, lightly used, porthole Buick Riviera. At the risk of offending all of the tip folks, let me say that, unless you have a physical malady, I guess I just don't understand why someone would buy a sports car and not want a manual box. It's a freaking sports car, the essence of owning a sports car being the sheer involvement in the experience; a tip just takes that directness away. Yes, I have driven a tip before. The first 993 that I drove was a tip, and I hated how my desire and action to move the car forward was not in harmony with the transmission. Yes, I know that F1 cars have manumatic trannies.

I even have trouble buying into the "my 911 is my daily driver and I deal with stop-and-go traffic" rationale of a tip. I drive my 6 speed Miata as much as I can (when I'm not carrying clients) and stirring the box, rev-matching and heel-and-toeing with precision are great joys for me. In a BMW 5 series, I can sort of understand why someone would prefer an auto, for it is a sports sedan, but in a 911, sorry, I just don't get it, I will always shake my head at the folks who see shifting as onerous and I will feel that they don't truly love driving and the biomechanical connection with a fine automobile. Call me old school.

All IMHO, of course.

Flame suit on.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 03-29-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2009 | 10:21 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Mark In Baltimore

You are "old school" and you need to seek professional help....immediately! BTW...so am I!

Mark (in Morganville)
Old 03-29-2009 | 11:05 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Mark In Baltimore

You are "old school" and you need to seek professional help....immediately! BTW...so am I!

Mark (in Morganville)
What he said!
Old 04-02-2009 | 07:23 AM
atcbi5
Banned

A horse is a horse, of course of course.
Old 04-02-2009 | 09:07 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Except for when it's a horse of a different color, or however the expression goes.
Old 04-02-2009 | 11:31 AM
atcbi5
Banned

WHB Porsche, like the guy on your avtar said "Hey it sells itself". I think that dude is cool man. Like "we can't do this all day".

Quick Reply: 1998 993S2 sold $36K