Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad News for HID XENON Conversion Lights in Florida!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Don't waste your money on the OEM kit ... it is 10x the price of aftermarket and produces the identical result.
The 993 was designed for optimum HID lighting with projector headlamps....
I would have to disagree.
There is a night and day difference between the two, at least on my wife's Targa.
I like OEM Litronics.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:09 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

check out DDMtuning.com
Old 03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

European H4s are technically "illegal" as well, and have been since at least the 911SC, that didn't stop anyone from using them. I had European H4s with 100w bulbs in my SC for over 10 years, and never had any issues with the local Police.

Jaywalking is illegal too, how many times have you gotten a ticket for that?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:15 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kika: Damnit!! I got my license when I was 16, and that night I got my first ticket. Jaywalking on a blinking red hand in a crosswalk!!!! Guess who is scared of jaywalking?

Though my HIDs look nice. hehe
Old 03-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by travanx
kika: Damnit!! I got my license when I was 16, and that night I got my first ticket. Jaywalking on a blinking red hand in a crosswalk!!!! Guess who is scared of jaywalking?

Though my HIDs look nice. hehe

ok, so that is one. how many times since then have you been ticketed?

Could be much worse, a friend of mine jaywalked in Newport beach, did n't hear the cop tell him to stop, he proceeded across the sand, then into the water. The [insert adjective of choice here] cop waited until he came out of the water, then ticketed him for jay walkind AND Evading Arrest, which automatically put him in front of a judge. It was comical to say the least, he had to pay the fine for jaywalking, and got off with community service for the evading arrest thing.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:42 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Could be much worse, a friend of mine jaywalked in Newport beach, did n't hear the cop tell him to stop, he proceeded across the sand, then into the water. The [insert adjective of choice here] cop waited until he came out of the water, then ticketed him for jay walkind AND Evading Arrest, which automatically put him in front of a judge. It was comical to say the least, he had to pay the fine for jaywalking, and got off with community service for the evading arrest thing.

This kind of story really bothers me. If the officer truly thought the "suspect" was evading arrest, he should have put more effort into pursuing said suspect. Instead the officer wasted taxpayers' money by waiting for the suspect (probably more likely observing the "scenery"), tying up the court system, and giving an innocent person a record.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a case in Germany a few years ago where a Police car ran over a pedestrian on a zebra crossing and broke his leg. Turns out the car had right of way so the pedestrian was prosecuted for jaywalking.. go figure..
Old 03-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
This kind of story really bothers me. If the officer truly thought the "suspect" was evading arrest, he should have put more effort into pursuing said suspect. Instead the officer wasted taxpayers' money by waiting for the suspect (probably more likely observing the "scenery"), tying up the court system, and giving an innocent person a record.
Not that any of this makes it right, but we were in High School at the time, and my friend is a tall skinny guy, and had long hair then, so he kind of looked like a homeless kid. Actually his family is very well off, but, my guess, is this cop just wanted to "send a message"

Absolutely doesn't make it right, but I suspect it was within his legal jurisdiction.
sorry for the digression.

BTW, I love my HIDs! I don't get the comment about how Litronics are better. The only difference should be the automatic leveling system in the Litronic system. other than that, they both use the same bulbs.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:31 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
BTW, I love my HIDs! I don't get the comment about how Litronics are better. The only difference should be the automatic leveling system in the Litronic system. other than that, they both use the same bulbs.

I love them in both of my cars too, massive improvement over the standard bulbs. Like I've said though, I can see ZERO difference between the OEM Lits and the cheap ones. I have one of each.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ltc
There is a night and day difference between the two, at least on my wife's Targa.
I like OEM Litronics.
Does the Targa have HIDs or OEM bulbs?
there is a huge difference between Xenon and halogen bulbs.

I think a number of us would disagree with you if you are saying that there is a night and day difference between the Porsche OEM Litronic system and aftermarket HID kits.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I like OEM Litronics.
What's the difference?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuff
What's the difference?
About $2,000.

Andreas
Old 03-27-2009, 01:29 AM
TX Silver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Didn't want to get his gun belt wet.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:04 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c993k
I just called Vertex and I was informed that the Department of Transportation
has now deemed the HID Aftermarket Lights Illegal!!!!

thought they always were here in socal anyway. still sux
Old 03-27-2009, 04:52 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 24FPS
thought they always were here in socal anyway. still sux
Yes, they were illegal but there was never an order to stop selling them and take them off the shelves!

Quick Reply: Bad News for HID XENON Conversion Lights in Florida!