Sponsored by:

Distributor Belt Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Paul Elwyn
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor Belt Replacement Help

With the P-Car.com DIY instructions by Brian Smith in hand, I am in the process of replacing the distributor belt in my '96 4S, but now that the unit's on the bench I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm ready to pull the main dist. shaft, which Brian says will pull out with the drive gear removed, 3 phillips screws on top removed and elect. connector unclipped, but the belt fits tightly on the drive cog on both shafts preventing the main shaft from pulling out. I can see the belt in a bind against the shoulder of the drive cog as I try to push the main shaft out. Should I simply apply more force?

2. Brian says to dremel the tabs holding the brass plug in the bottom of the secondary distributor and pry the plug out to access the secondary shaft. What's the best way to replace the plug going back together, and what do I do if I damage the plug while prying it out?
Old 03-25-2009, 03:26 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,

I found the instructions on P-car very helpful but a bit over the top in what you need to dismantle. If you have reason to believe the bearing in the second housing is suspect then by all means take out the zinc coated plate, but I found that if you remove a couple of dowls in the housings which was easy peasy then you can change the belt without disturbing the second housing at all. No plate removal no major disassembly. The hardest part for me was the removal of the gear on the primary shaft (other than taking the damn thing itself out of the engine!) which you've already done.

The bearing in the second housing takes no real transverse load and was fine in my distributor.

As for the primary shaft, make sure the wires to the hall effect sensor etc are clear and it should just pull out. You should be able to see through the hole left by the hall effect connector.

Scary to do but not as hard as it looks initially.

Best of luck.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:38 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it possible to remove the distributor with the engine in place?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:00 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Distributor Removal.

Originally Posted by flying_low
Is it possible to remove the distributor with the engine in place?
Sure...It looks crowded but getting a few things out of the way makes it EZ. Just be sure to get the engine at TDC on #1 and remember the orientation of the rotors as they point to the rims of their respective housings.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:23 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

the gold colored drive gear will slide-off the main shaft as you remove it from the housing.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Paul Elwyn
AutoX

Originally Posted by chris walrod
the gold colored drive gear will slide-off the main shaft as you remove it from the housing.

Thanks to everyone for their responses, but before seeing any responses I removed the plug from the bottom of the secondary distributor, pulled the c-clip and spacers, pulled the 5 bolts holding the two halves of the distributor, and withdrew the entire top assembly with both primary and secondary shafts together and the belt exposed, which should be a relatively easy reassembly tomorrow if parts arrive on schedule. Now I'm cleaning and lubing. Next time should be even easier. (Man, that's a tiny belt!)
Old 03-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Paul Elwyn
AutoX

Originally Posted by guards red
Hi,

I found the instructions on P-car very helpful but a bit over the top in what you need to dismantle. If you have reason to believe the bearing in the second housing is suspect then by all means take out the zinc coated plate, but I found that if you remove a couple of dowls in the housings which was easy peasy then you can change the belt without disturbing the second housing at all. No plate removal no major disassembly. The hardest part for me was the removal of the gear on the primary shaft (other than taking the damn thing itself out of the engine!) which you've already done.

The bearing in the second housing takes no real transverse load and was fine in my distributor.

As for the primary shaft, make sure the wires to the hall effect sensor etc are clear and it should just pull out. You should be able to see through the hole left by the hall effect connector.

Scary to do but not as hard as it looks initially.

Best of luck.
Thanks, I'll go this way next time.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:56 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

For anyone contemplating this, sometimes the distributor is reluctant to come out of the engine case. Some owners went so far as to drill a hole in the engine tin, and drive the dix out from underneath. I found that a roll-foot, also called a doll-foot pry bar placed under the dix provides just the right leverage to bring it out with no drama.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:42 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a distributor belt (thanks Walrod!) and am going to do this myself at some point...is there anything else that needs attention on one of these distributors at, say, 100K, other than basic cleaning/inspection/lube?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I've got a distributor belt (thanks Walrod!) and am going to do this myself at some point...is there anything else that needs attention on one of these distributors at, say, 100K, other than basic cleaning/inspection/lube?
Noah,
The distributor has bearings that can, and do, go bad.

For those of us with less than average mechanical skillz, the distributor can be sent off to a gentleman in GA who will rebuild the entire unit for around $150.

Andreas
Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Thanks Andreas. I talked to the guy in GA and he said that all he does is replace the belt, clean/lube the unit, and inspect the bearings, and replace if necessary -- which he said is very, very rarely necessary. So I think I'm going to give this a try myself. No sense in departing with $150 for a simple job.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:39 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Thanks Andreas. I talked to the guy in GA and he said that all he does is replace the belt, clean/lube the unit, and inspect the bearings, and replace if necessary -- which he said is very, very rarely necessary. So I think I'm going to give this a try myself. No sense in departing with $150 for a simple job.
Noah,
I would expect you to tackle this yourself! If you can, please post some pics of your findings, as I would like to refresh mine as well.

Andreas
Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Will do! I might even get into this weekend, just for kicks. Need to make sure I have the right toolz first...
Old 03-26-2009, 11:48 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Need to make sure I have the right toolz first...

Andreas
Old 03-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Sure...It looks crowded but getting a few things out of the way makes it EZ. Just be sure to get the engine at TDC on #1 and remember the orientation of the rotors as they point to the rims of their respective housings.
You do not have to put the engine at TDC, all you have to do is put the dist back into the engine with the rotors in the same position. I have done a few of these, and all I do is remove the caps, mark the position of both the rotors, and remove the distributor. When I replace the distributor, I just make sure the rotors point to my marks and that's it.

The trick is to use a marker that will not rub off when handling the distributor, and not to crank or turn-over the engine while the distributor is off.

And I agree, you can shortcut the instructions quite a bit by just splitting the case, and threading the belt into the case. I am doing another one this weekend, and am documenting that procedure for www.pcarworkshop.com.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Distributor Belt Replacement Help