Speedster type 993 photo thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default how she looked in real life

supermodels look good even in bad lighting!

Last edited by curve lover; 09-06-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-31-2009, 08:41 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW looks great, any more shots?

PS. Is the base of a speedster a C2S with the roof cut off? It sure looks like it in the pictures?

One could only imagine the kind of work that has to go into a project like that.. First of all the chassis has to be stiffened (since it wasn't a cabrio to begin with). Kind of makes me think it would be easier to start with a 993cab and then turn that into a WB..
Old 05-31-2009, 06:19 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Is the base of a speedster a C2S with the roof cut off? It sure looks like it in the pictures?

One could only imagine the kind of work that has to go into a project like that.. First of all the chassis has to be stiffened (since it wasn't a cabrio to begin with). Kind of makes me think it would be easier to start with a 993cab and then turn that into a WB..
Viggo-- As I recall what he told me, the owner of the WB beauty seen above started with a '95 cab.

You're right about the 2 most obvious ways to fashion a 993 Speedster, & all the effort involved. A 3rd option: start with a 964 Speedster.

I just translated an article about the 1994 964 Speedster-based NB 993 featured in post 15, page 5 through 8. Similar to the magazine article in posts 109 - 111, it mentions the surprise of learning a 993 cab would've been easier to start with.

Enjoy, with disclaimer of Jäger translation & the help of multiple translation sites...
Old 05-31-2009, 06:21 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

From French 2002 Porsche Days, as translated by me ... er, moi, & lots of computerized help
"The 993 Speedster"

< Here’s a great site with announcements & reports, both current & historic. A site for true Porsche enthusiasts. In addition, one finds exceptional things: here I found a unique vehicle, the 993 Speedster. And, yes, it was for sale on this site! It’s the absolute pleasure of a superb vehicle, & more than rare since it’s the only one!! Thank you to Claude, as passionate as one would wish to be lucky enough to meet. Go ahead, find me more unique designs ... I’d love it!!! Friends / Sylvain > (phiehdv@wanadoo.fr)

Yes! It’s fitting that on www.flatmotor-vo.com Sylvain found this rare gem. Even among rarities, this Speedster 993 is an absolute pearl. I was already in contact with its former owner in June for a report you’ll see later. However, the 911 changed hands about that time &, of course, the former owner was no longer able to provide what had been his Speedster 993. Very disappointed, I didn’t want to release the article while wondering where the new possessor of this one & only Porsche was. As luck would have it, I soon made Sylvain's acquaintance at the Porsche Days festival. I immediately presented myself, & invited him to participate in this board.

Historic: The unbelievable history of this 993 Speedster starts with that of a 964 Speedster.

The 993 speedster was born on May 11 1994, the result of a purchase order for a 964 Speedster. Options like the bucket seats, the differential, 17” rims, air conditioner, trip computer, & alarm brought the price to 3.138.533 Belgian francs (77.802€; 510.347 French francs). On June 30 1994, the 964 Speedster was put into circulation at Liege, Belgium by Porsche TAG; now ‘Penders.’ Next, it was put into action ... the crazy agreement the dealer had with his customer: to produce one 993 Speedster. They had no idea of future challenges to resolve. Later they learned it would have been easier to convert a 993. So much more, then, was the reward for solving unpredictable problems that the 964 Speedster’s metamorphosis presented. To make this transformation official it was wise to do work within the factory’s own network. D’Ieteren, the Porsche importer, gave their agreement & began a task of untold proportions. The 964 Speedster was completely dismantled. The adaptation study was undertaken with a very high level of accuracy, due to the support of Porsche engineers. Still, problems proved numerous & very complex. The parts list required to transform the body & accessories constituted some 140 change requests. Going through the wings, lights, panels, etc., the only pieces common between the two models were the doors & rear view mirror. The running gear remained that of the 964 series. However, the twin-exhaust (one tip added for appearance), & 993-series wheels completed the visual transformation. Today the rims have been further updated to GT3s; their aesthetic is complimentary & fabulous.

To maintain high standards & finish this 993 Speedster properly, it went through an accordance certificate "testifying that the vehicle is completely in accordance, conforming to the type in the descriptive notice at the request for creation". Therefore, D’Ieteren officially validated this metamorphosis which finished the 993 you see here, a vehicle whose production was almost carried out by Porsche. Especially significant is how well our 993 Speedster corresponds to the lineage of its chassis N° WPOZZZ96ZRS455512, that of a Speedster.

Sylvain invited me to do country driving with wind in our hair - or rather lower, since the windshield is further down than a cabriolet. Pure happiness, not to be refused during a beautiful, sunny day. Slipping into this Speedster is somewhat profound, knowing it’s the only one in the world!!!! The delight of an invitation to enjoy Sylvain’s Speedster was a treat, an immense honor. Oh! I nearly forgot: the motor is no longer 964 standard-issue, since it now delivers 272 hp, thanks to an engine upgrade. How fitting -- the same power as the first 993.

Ah, European life! Registered at birth in Belgium, then to Luxembourg, & now here in the French territory.

You may share my immense regret that Porsche decided not to market this wonderous 993. All previous generations had their Speedsters: the 356, the 3.2L - both narrow & wide, ending in the 964 narrow-body (& 20 wide-bodies). What a pity to pass over 993 production! The 964 wasn’t successful in sales: 925 vs. 2,065 of the 3.2Ls (of which 1,894 were Turbo-Look). To continue with 964 production in NB only, seemed a marketing error that potentially doomed future efforts. Sylvain takes care of this absence, though, presenting the 993 Speedster, a singular example!!! ... & yet, Porsche often presents extraordinary exceptions to their own history. So, after excavating deep into my memory & records, they proved that a true factory-made 993 Speedster exists -- one single specimen. Accordingly, you’ll see it only rarely, such as 1998 at the fiftieth anniversary celebration. It belongs to the Porsche family collection, a gift to Ferdinand Alexander “Butzi” Porsche, creator of the eternal 911 line. Could Sylvain’s 993 Speedster have served as the inspiration, a prototype for Butzi’s? Ah! I dream that a day will come when new Speedsters are manufactured. However, it’s hard to visualize the Speedster concept applied to the 996. The flowing lines of the 993 are, for me, certainly the better response. Let us fantasize even more while imagining a 993 ‘2S’ Speedster, the pinnacle of beauty.
What do you think?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Another from my camera...

WOW looks great, any more shots?
V-- Happy to oblige!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:47 AM
V
Rennlist Member

So that's not an original one? I thought the speedsters all came with the Recaro RS bucket seats?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:59 AM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
V-- Happy to oblige!

wow.............i REALLY like the looks of that car.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I thought the speedsters all came with the Recaro RS bucket seats?
Viggo-- Good eye, & good question. Personally, I've long thought the Speedster & RS seats were some of the best -- & lightest! -- ever found in a Porsche. 964 Speedsters came standard with the Recaro racing shells you mention. However, it became a no-cost option for comfort seats when some owners' "buckets" didn't fit comfortably in the Speedster seats. Guess the owners were wide-bodies .

Cryin' shame... IF you can find an ultra-rare set for sale, these light-weight factory Speedster & Recaro seats now sell for more than most 993 hard-back sport seats (like those in this black beauty, often >$3k USD)!

One exception: a skinny celebrity's 993 (forget his name, something like "Fine-selled?" ) has comfort seats in his factory-direct Speedster. See post #62.

FWIW, Recaro Speedster & RS bucket seats are very similar, but slightly different. The RL posts comparing them say the Speedster versions are slightly wider & have slightly more padding, hence more comfortable.

No affiliation: germanSportsCars.net's 4,900 Euro RECARO bucket seats in leather original Porsche 964 RS:

Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So that's not an original one?
This gal was born was born as '95 cab; what a wonderful transformation!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...A 3rd option: start with a 964 Speedster.....
Dan at Speed Gallery built a 993 Speedster from a salvaged one when he was at By Design a few years back...silver with Turbo-S rear fenders...looked very sweet.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:32 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by David in LA
Dan at Speed Gallery built a 993 Speedster from a salvaged one when he was at By Design a few years back...silver with Turbo-S rear fenders...looked very sweet.
David-- Yep! It was born as '91 Carrera 2, though. That's part of what makes this black beauty so appealing: she's thoroughly 993 (but true Euro; not US DOT legal ). Dan's interior is average, but the exterior has an appeal that connects on an amazingly visceral level. You're so right -- its Turbo S rear air vents are boss. I've talked to Dan about that P-car a few times. A similar one was produced by them; I've corresponded with one of his coworkers about that, too.

I've got photos to share of the silver when it was incomplete salvage & then when the work was done. When we get to it here, would you prefer starting with the 'before' or 'after' pics?
Originally Posted by roche
wow.............i REALLY like the looks of that car.
ROC-- Agreed. More to like...

Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 06-05-2009, 05:44 PM
-CD-
Rennlist Member

The RL posts comparing them say the Speedster versions are slightly wider & have slightly more padding, hence more comfortable.
No, the shape from the bucket is the same!

Only difference is, that the 964 Speedster / 993 RS seat has a little difference in the layout from the back and a construction in the seat for more comfort in the seatcushin!

I will post some pics at the weekend!

Greetings Christian
Old 06-05-2009, 10:49 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The RL posts comparing them say the Speedster versions are slightly wider & have slightly more padding, hence more comfortable.
Originally Posted by -CD-
No, the shape from the bucket is the same!

Only difference is, that the 964 Speedster / 993 RS seat has a little difference in the layout from the back and a construction in the seat for more comfort in the seatcushin!
Christian-- Awesome. Good info; lookin' forward to your pix! Never too many shots of these killer seats. Glad that post caught your eye. Speedster Recaros are the shizzle.

Related references...
From 2007's Source for RS Seats (993/964) thread:
Originally Posted by LA964RS
RS man...the speedster and the RS are different seats. Speedster seat is a bit wider in the butt. Sort of like the way Recaro offers different sizes in the Profi series. Plus the speedster seat has the trampoline system in it which makes it more comfortable as it has a bit more cushion.
From '07 Pelican Parts post on their WTS: 964 Speedster (or RS?) Seats thread, comparing Speedster seats to Recaro Pole Positions:
Don't know about the RS seats but the Speedster seats are a little bit wider than the off the shelf Recaro's. They also has a spring system in the bottom.
Recent photos in Pelican's F/S : RARE PORSCHE (euro) 1992 Carrera RS leather buckets thread:
these are not like the Speedster seats.. the entire bucket shell is different. The RS buckets have more bracing on the back of the shell.

Here is a pic of the rear of the seats.. the black is the RS and the white is the Speedster.. note they are NOT the same seat.... they're very diff.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

94 Speedster
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Speedster type 993 photo thread