DIY oil change: 3 filter wrenchs and the Exxon Valdez

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
No oil changes for me either. Worth the money not to worry about it.

Mike
Yeah I might just continue to get it done plus I like and trust the guy that works on my car. I come out and BS with him while he is working on it and we check everything out while it is on the lift.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:08 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Good job! it will get easier next time.
For me, it's not the money. I enjoy getting to know the car by doing this stuff. It might sound corny, but I bond with the car a little by wrenching on it. An added bonus is that I know what's going on under there if I see a strange spot or smell a strange smell...
+1 Also depends on what you're doing: I try really hard NOT to wash the Corolla or M-B. My time is definitely worth more than a $9 coupon. However, a $250 911 oil change only costs me $75 plus 2 hours. I come out a little ahead, plus I get to look around, learn stuff, see what's goin' on.

Those with the means to fix take much more pride in the driving and also have a much better connection to the car. If it feels like an onerous chore, then I don't recommend it. It's supposed to be enjoyable. For those who "get it," it's just part of the whole experience.

Now, would everybody here please find $2 and go buy the Blitz 05090 "Specialty Funnel"? My oil snorkel is cracked at the base and I don't care! This funnel wedges itself perfectly into the filler neck like a factory part and works perfectly. I pour in 8 quarts then go for a short drive (I'm serious about the "no idling" thing--see the "Do you warm your oil" thread). Come home, pour in the last 2 quarts using my Blitz funnel, easy-peasy.

Last edited by dcdude; 07-24-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once a year a local German car indy sends a coupon for a $90.00 oil change for all customers, P-cars included
Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
Once a year a local German car indy sends a coupon for a $90.00 oil change for all customers, P-cars included
Labor only or parts (synthetic oil) AND labor?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
For me, it's not the money. I enjoy getting to know the car by doing this stuff. It might sound corny, but I bond with the car a little by wrenching on it. An added bonus is that I know what's going on under there if I see a strange spot or smell a strange smell...
+ 3 billion.

Andreas
Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience. It will definitely help when I give it a try.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:55 PM
ambro
4th Gear

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and experience in my first time DIY oil change tips post. Well, I did it yesterday and it was so much fun, I let it go over into this morning...

I planned well in advance and ordered a filter wrench from Pelican along with the necessary filters and seals -- I even got the rubber o-rings in case I took the oil tube out to access the engine filter.

All went as planned, including slowly, as I jacked the car up for the first time, examined the undercarriage for the first time, looked at the motor from both sides now for the first time and took apart more body trim than reasonable for an oil change.

All went fine until I got to the engine filter. The Pelican wrench was for a 964, not 993 and didn't fit.

So I took the filter to Kragen and found one that fit.

Got back under the car and it wouldn't take the filter off because the last guy (the service department at Sonnen Porsche by the PO) torqued it down massively.

It's getting late and the dinner guests were due in 45 minutes. Nonetheless, I order an adjustable filter wrench form Sears on-line for pick up and zip down there (20 miles away) in the touring. I forgot that's a nice car, too.

Sears, inspite of telling me on-line that it was in stock, did not have the wrench. But they did have another (cheaper) one. It looked like it would work.

I zipped back, said "hi" to the dinner guests, went downstairs and, with much grunting, took off the over-torqued filter and slipped the new one on. WITHOUT HAVING TO REMOVE THE OIL TUBE!

This morning I start filling the thing -- slowly, like everyone warned. Nonetheless, about a quart out of 10 bottles ended up on the floor. How the hell are you supposed to pour that stuff in without spilling it?

Anyway, crank without the DME relay, builds up pressure good. Replace relay, starts great and no leaks. Will take out for a drive in a few minutes to warm up and check level.

Other than the 3 wrenches and the slippery garage floor, it was a success!
Could you describe what the oil filter wrench that you picked up from Sears? I'm doing my first oil change on my `97 993 and want to be sure I pick up the right tool before starting. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:25 AM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This one

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02820523000P
Old 04-09-2010, 12:29 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 minutes before me, it is the be all end all.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:31 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snap-on/blue point... Same but probly $100 more hahaha
PT# FWA62121 from Snap-on

I tried every tool combo and find this to be the best.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 AM
lizSter
Advanced

I changed my 993 oil last weekend. Thanks to all the great tips here at rennlist, it was pretty uneventful. I removed the engine filter with this cheap tool from harbor freight and didn't have to remove the tube.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99629

Old 04-09-2010, 01:50 AM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats inkatouring! I had a similar experience with the oil filter wrench, but I got lucky enough there was a motorcycle shop next door to me with a dedicated snap-on tool truck. I was able to purchase a perfect fit german oil filter wrench.

I'm about to do my change soon, but also trying to muster up the courage to replace my clutch slave cylinder. Let me know next time you're about to do the next one perhaps I can offer some moral support. By the way, which hood are you in?

-nels

Last edited by nels415; 04-09-2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: DIY oil change: 3 filter wrenchs and the Exxon Valdez