Sponsored by:

DIY oil change: 3 filter wrenchs and the Exxon Valdez

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:31 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default DIY oil change: 3 filter wrenchs and the Exxon Valdez

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and experience in my first time DIY oil change tips post. Well, I did it yesterday and it was so much fun, I let it go over into this morning...

I planned well in advance and ordered a filter wrench from Pelican along with the necessary filters and seals -- I even got the rubber o-rings in case I took the oil tube out to access the engine filter.

All went as planned, including slowly, as I jacked the car up for the first time, examined the undercarriage for the first time, looked at the motor from both sides now for the first time and took apart more body trim than reasonable for an oil change.

All went fine until I got to the engine filter. The Pelican wrench was for a 964, not 993 and didn't fit.

So I took the filter to Kragen and found one that fit.

Got back under the car and it wouldn't take the filter off because the last guy (the service department at Sonnen Porsche by the PO) torqued it down massively.

It's getting late and the dinner guests were due in 45 minutes. Nonetheless, I order an adjustable filter wrench form Sears on-line for pick up and zip down there (20 miles away) in the touring. I forgot that's a nice car, too.

Sears, inspite of telling me on-line that it was in stock, did not have the wrench. But they did have another (cheaper) one. It looked like it would work.

I zipped back, said "hi" to the dinner guests, went downstairs and, with much grunting, took off the over-torqued filter and slipped the new one on. WITHOUT HAVING TO REMOVE THE OIL TUBE!

This morning I start filling the thing -- slowly, like everyone warned. Nonetheless, about a quart out of 10 bottles ended up on the floor. How the hell are you supposed to pour that stuff in without spilling it?

Anyway, crank without the DME relay, builds up pressure good. Replace relay, starts great and no leaks. Will take out for a drive in a few minutes to warm up and check level.

Other than the 3 wrenches and the slippery garage floor, it was a success!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way to go. It isn't really that hard - just a little more involved than most cars.

ps Last time I ordered parts from Pelican they said they didn't carry the small wrench.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Indy used a long funnel with a shop rag wrapped around the neck so it seals the opening to the tank.

That is what I am going to do....
Old 03-22-2009, 04:29 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just used a bent neck funnel, the factory accordian funnel, and ppoouurreedd ssllooww. Only dripped a few stray drops.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What I had to do to get my engine filter off the first time was dump one of those small tubes of Super Glue in the oil filter cap socket, slap the socket on the filter for about 10 min. then use an 18" 3/8ths extension and ratchet to remove the filter. Cap socket was one of the cheap metal ones from Pep Boys so I just tossed it with the filter. Filter I reinstalled will come off much easier.

I've also heard putting sandpaper in the socket works.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Really didn't feel like doing it myself so I paid $177 to have it done. Not a bad price I don't think.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Next time you change the oil, try this: Use a 1 gal. jug from stuff like bleach, distilled water, milk, etc. Then, measure the oil you remove b4 you pour it in your big 5 gal. re-cycle jug. You'll know exactly how much came out and, therefore, how much goes back in. Hold off on putting that last qt. in until after you've fired it up. It won't hurt the engine and will keep you from that initial overflow when the oil tank fills up.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

You can't just pour all 10 qts into the oil tank. Won't work! You have to start or crank the engine to get oil out of the tank and into the crankcase (it holds around 2 qts). I'm surprised nobody warned you. /shrug
Old 03-22-2009, 07:55 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cactus
Really didn't feel like doing it myself so I paid $177 to have it done. Not a bad price I don't think.
Not bad at all considering the filters and oil cost over $77, and maybe closer to $100.

And thanks for the mid-pouring cranking tip, Mr. Other Eric.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
No oil changes for me either. Worth the money not to worry about it.

Mike
Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Good job! it will get easier next time.
For me, it's not the money. I enjoy getting to know the car by doing this stuff. It might sound corny, but I bond with the car a little by wrenching on it. An added bonus is that I know what's going on under there if I see a strange spot or smell a strange smell...
Old 03-22-2009, 08:26 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
For me, it's not the money. I enjoy getting to know the car by doing this stuff. It might sound corny, but I bond with the car a little by wrenching on it. An added bonus is that I know what's going on under there if I see a strange spot or smell a strange smell...
Oh, it's all about the relationship with the car. If I could afford a 993 but not an oil change then I couldn't really afford a 993. A friend of mine is a catch and release fisherman and I tease him that he does it for the thrill of man against fish. I work on the cars for the thrill of man against car.

I just finished changing the battery ground on the theory that the electrical gremlin had something to do with that....
Old 03-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Inkatouring,

Congrats! It's about the sense of accomplishment--I concur.

On my first one I made a huge mess, was tired of crawling back out from under the car for a different wrench 100 times. (I ended up taking the oil line off for the engine filter) and swore I would never change my own oil again.

That didn't last...

Last edited by Mark Harris; 03-22-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr

+1
Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, +1 on Eric's comment. I get 8 quarts in there and then start the car up for a couple of minutes.. Dribble the last two quarts in there while the car is still cold.

dave

Quick Reply: DIY oil change: 3 filter wrenchs and the Exxon Valdez