Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Solution for soft brake pedal caused by ABS pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It was a pleasure to speak to you as well fine sir.

mike
Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was told about the faulty 95/96 abs pump by a shop when it happened to my car. I took it to another shop and had it flushed. Everything's been fine since (2002).
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (07-02-2020)
Old 07-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Hank
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like this thread has been around for a few years now, has anyone used the company BAA-reman for a rebuilb ABS pump that's mentioned in the first post? If so how did it go? I just ran into the same issue on my car and am exploring options. thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Arena993 do you mind posting the instructions on this thread?
I found some white deposits at the bleeder valves and since I cannot vouch for the frequency of brake flushes from he previous owner, I would be interested in using your method as preventive maintenance.

Thank You
Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Renaud Bizet
Arena993 do you mind posting the instructions on this thread?
I found some white deposits at the bleeder valves and since I cannot vouch for the frequency of brake flushes from he previous owner, I would be interested in using your method as preventive maintenance.

Thank You
+1
Old 06-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Tooltime5
2nd Gear

Default 993 soft brake

Originally Posted by SKM
The soft brake pedal caused by the ABS pump being clogged is very distinctive vs. a spongy brake pedal due to air in the system or a bad master cylinder.

I have a freshly rebuilt ABS pump for sale for 993 models with LSD and ABD options.
Hi SKM,
I have a abs system with this problem, can you fix for me ? My car has been in shop provost motor sport in bordentown i would be interested in buying from you or having you clean mine .. can you call me 609-658-1608 Michael
Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooltime5
Hi SKM,
I have a abs system with this problem, can you fix for me ? My car has been in shop provost motor sport in bordentown i would be interested in buying from you or having you clean mine .. can you call me 609-658-1608 Michael
Why don't you do it yourself ?

If you want to remove soft pedal BECAUSE OF SLUDGE, there are two ways:

Easy way or the patience way

Easy way, get new brake fluid with DOT 3 or DOT4 specifications, and flush the system with two bottles or three with a power bleeder.
With DOT3/4, the pedal will be harder than the DOT5.1+

Patience way if you have a lot of SLUDGE.
Open your brake fluid reservoir cap, and bleed the system empty through each caliper nipples.
Get 1 liter of isopropyl alcohol, or 70% alcohol that you use at home.
Fill brake reservoir to the top, and bleed one caliper until alcohol arrives.
Refill the reservoir until you do all four calipers filled with alcohol.
Go back to the reservoir and remove the alcohol left.
Fill with DOT3 or 4.
Bleed the first caliper, and refill reservoir
do this for the 4 calipers, refill reservoir if empty.
Do no use car for half an hour.
Now re-bleed the system again with fresh DOT3 or 4 brake fluid.
use car for 100 kilometers, and re-bleed while tapping calipers gently with rubber mallet.

1- why alcohol ? Alcohol dissolves the crystalline sludge as soon as it contacts it.
2- Why not keep alcohol in system for some time? Alcohol dissolves sludge in a fraction of a second, but will start to rust the brake lines if left for more than an hour.
3- Why bleed twice? first time to remove alcohol, second time to keep fresh fluid in car
Old 06-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
I sent my old clogged master cylinder to Paul Reiser (PCA tech advisor) for him to study per his request. Not sure if he ever did anything with it or found a fix.
Joel Reiser??? I have seen that waxy crud, and I flush my fluid 6X per year. Nasty stuff.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:37 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
Mark:

I have a fix for this problem. I have done it 2 times on 2 different cars and has worked perfectly. Nice thing it only costs a little time and a few dollars ($5.00). PM me your number and I'll walk you through it. BTW both cars I did it to had the ABD option w/locking diff. Just FYI.

Mike
Mike,
Is the process to lengthy to post? I'm sure others, such as myself would be interested in what you have to say...
Can we do a mass video teleconference?
Seriously, I am interested too.

EDIT: Sorry, did not realize this was an old post till after replying.
Cheers!
Old 11-29-2017, 11:16 AM
fst951
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Geolab hit it on the head. A customer brought in a 1995 993 with a creeping brake pedal. The isopropyl alcohol flush suggested by Geolab worked nicely. My problem still exists with a slight creep in the brake pedal, but it is far better. When I went to bleed the customers brakes I could hardly get either of the front calipers to bleed from the outer ports. There was a viscous sludge in the brake system. It was not clear brake fluid. It was opaque or yellow-white color in nature I used a rubber mallet and tapped rapidly. It took about 10 minutes per caliper, but they finally cleared out. I bled the brakes two times initially and the rears flowed fine. It was the fronts that were gummed up. I then ran the system dry and added the alcohol. I wouldn't use ethanol as it MAY damage the rubber in the brake system. I used commercially available rubbing alcohol at about $1.50 per liter/quart. I found that 1 liter/quart was enough to fill the system and bleed it. I then emptied the system of the alcohol. I then refilled the brake reservoir with Dot 3 cheap brake fluid and ran a liter through and bled at the bleeder ports and with the pedal. I had a much firmer pedal. Less creep I may see if I can use the KTS300 hammer or durametric to get the abs pump to function and remove any further sludge from the ABS valve body that MAY be allowing further fluid to escape and allow a lessened pedal creep.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:15 PM
hunterpeaks
Instructor

My solution was to replace the master cylinder. I replaced the ABS pump, bleed so many times, replaced left front wheel bearing. All the classic things. Nothing worked till I bit the bullet and got a new Master cylinder. No soft pedal after that. The hardest part of this was that it was only a year old to begin with. These cars (especially when you convert them into full race cars) just eat Master cylinders.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:21 PM
nine9six
Banned

Posted by Geolab

Why don't you do it yourself ?

If you want to remove soft pedal BECAUSE OF SLUDGE, there are two ways:

Easy way or the patience way

Easy way, get new brake fluid with DOT 3 or DOT4 specifications, and flush the system with two bottles or three with a power bleeder.
With DOT3/4, the pedal will be harder than the DOT5.1+

Patience way if you have a lot of SLUDGE.
Open your brake fluid reservoir cap, and bleed the system empty through each caliper nipples.
Get 1 liter of isopropyl alcohol, or 70% alcohol that you use at home.
Fill brake reservoir to the top, and bleed one caliper until alcohol arrives.
Refill the reservoir until you do all four calipers filled with alcohol.
Go back to the reservoir and remove the alcohol left.
Fill with DOT3 or 4.
Bleed the first caliper, and refill reservoir
do this for the 4 calipers, refill reservoir if empty.
Do no use car for half an hour.
Now re-bleed the system again with fresh DOT3 or 4 brake fluid.
use car for 100 kilometers, and re-bleed while tapping calipers gently with rubber mallet.

1- why alcohol ? Alcohol dissolves the crystalline sludge as soon as it contacts it.
2- Why not keep alcohol in system for some time? Alcohol dissolves sludge in a fraction of a second, but will start to rust the brake lines if left for more than an hour.
3- Why bleed twice? first time to remove alcohol, second time to keep fresh fluid in car

Geolab,
To do a complete bleed of the system, would one also want to bleed or cycle the ABS and ABD systems, if applicable to the vehicle?

TIA.

Last edited by nine9six; 11-30-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:04 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I have this if any body needs it.
elliot

worked perfectly 18K miles
Old 08-18-2018, 01:56 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 290 Posts

any updates on this? I think I am dealing with this....
Old 08-18-2018, 05:46 PM
nine9six
Banned

In order to completely flush the brake system, one needs to be able to cycle the ABS and ABD in order to evacuate the old brake fluid currently held within the systems; prior to the brake fluid flush.

To the best of my knowledge, there are several Porsche specific diagnostic tools which enable one to exercise the ABS and ABD systems.

1. The Bosch 9288, (Hammer).
2. The PST2, (Bosch KTS 500) or
3. The PIWIS I, (Bosch KTS 650).
4. The PIWIS II, (Bosch KTS 670)

I recently purchased a PIWIS I (KTS 650), which is compatible with the following vehicles.
Cayman, Boxster 986, 911 996, Cayenne, GT1, GT3 996, 928, 968, 944, GT2 996, Carrera GT, 911 997, 911 964 & 993, Boxster 987.

I am offering local (Socal) Rennlisters, (with the above-mentioned compatible vehicles) a very reasonable ($50) diagnostic look into their vehicles; or exercise the ABS/ABD systems, prior to the owners performing a brake and/or clutch slave bleed.

If interested, I can be contacted via PM.

Porsche Diagnostic Tester Information:

Porsche Integrated Workshop Information System (PIWIS) scan tool works with the latest and legacy Porsche vehicles, it's equipped with a Panasonic Toughbook laptop.

Overview & History

The PIWIS I, was actually a Bosch/Vetronix KTS-650. Prior to that the Porsche PST2 which was introduced in 1997 and ended in 2005 was actually a Bosch Diagnostics KTS-500, however the PST2 was slightly altered and colored differently than the KTS-500.

Preceding the PST2 was the Porsche 9288/Bosch KTS-300/301 (aka "Hammer" or "Pocket System Tester") works on cars to 1995 but doesn't do everything. The PST2 is backward applicable to OBDI but doesn't do some AC and Airbag issues on early cars covered by KTS-300/301. The PIWIS should eliminate the need for a PST2 but one may still need the KTS-300/301 for the earliest applications.

My best

Last edited by nine9six; 08-18-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Solution for soft brake pedal caused by ABS pump