Sponsored by:

speaker install? what you got?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009 | 01:39 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default speaker install? what you got?

After reading nuff's very helpful speaker install post, I started thinking about replacing my speakers (nuff's thread). I want to replace the stock door speakers with newer, better ones that will fit in the place of the stock ones, preferably that will use the same grills or have similar one, so that it looks stock, too.

SO, what are you guys using out there? You got pics?
Old 03-14-2009 | 09:41 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

No pics but I suggest MB Quart RFV series. They are the last series made in Germany you can still get them for cheap at some dealers. The 5.25" system (RVF 213) should fit non-hifi, maybe the 6.5" (RVF 216) but they are very hard to get.

And remember all the newer models are "Made in China". MB Quart went bankrupt and the Americans bough the brand name and moved manufacturing to China.

Here is a link for the RVF 213

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=16675
Old 03-14-2009 | 09:48 PM
cy7878
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would advice AGAINST ordering from onlinecarstereo.com!! I placed an order with them in Feb and although they didn't have the fronts in stock, they wouldn't tell me. After almost a week, I called and then they told me the fronts were on backorder and I would get them in 1-2 weeks. Since I knew the speakers were discontinued from the manufacture, if they didn't have it there is little chance they will get more, I had them cancel the fronts and just sent me the rears. Well, they didn't ship anything. They blamed UPS for losing a package that they never send, and now after 3 weeks are refusing to either replace what they never send or refund my money. I have called them 4 times already and each time they promised me a refund, that never happened. I'm waiting the 15 day after refund request to demand a refund from my credit card company (Discover Card).

Mind you, we are not talking about thousands of dollars. The rears I ordered were JL Audio 4 inch speakers that only cost about $100. If a company is going to screw me over $100, I hate to see what they will do in higher dollar amounts!

Sorry for the long story, but do not order from those guys!!

Last edited by cy7878; 03-14-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-2009 | 10:24 PM
LJ993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some Diamond Audio Hex separates in my non-hifi door panels. Driven by a bridged JL Audio 300/4 under the hood. I left the original amp to drive the 4 inch speakers in the back (cab). Speakers didn't break the bank and they sound great, a hugh improvement over the oem speakers. Couldn't even hear them if I was traveling over 30 mph with the top down. Phil 96 triple black cab.
Old 03-14-2009 | 10:33 PM
cy7878
Instructor

Originally Posted by LJ993
I have some Diamond Audio Hex separates in my non-hifi door panels. Driven by a bridged JL Audio 300/4 under the hood. I left the original amp to drive the 4 inch speakers in the back (cab). Speakers didn't break the bank and they sound great, a hugh improvement over the oem speakers. Couldn't even hear them if I was traveling over 30 mph with the top down. Phil 96 triple black cab.

DO you have a pic showing how the amp is mounted? I'm still struggling on where to fit my amp in the trunk and would love to see how other people do it. The JL Audio 300/4 Amp is pretty awsome, but I didn't think I can get it to fit under the trunk cover.
Old 03-14-2009 | 10:52 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cy7878
DO you have a pic showing how the amp is mounted? I'm still struggling on where to fit my amp in the trunk and would love to see how other people do it. The JL Audio 300/4 Amp is pretty awsome, but I didn't think I can get it to fit under the trunk cover.
I just moved my amp from the floor of the trunk to in front of the fuel tank. It involves mounting a board along the front of the tank. The carpet goes overtop and then the amp is mounted. There are a few pics somewhere on the forum which I used as a guide. I left room for a second amp if I mount subs. Right now I have new 5x7's in the parcel shelf and it sounds much better than just having the 6.5" door speakers.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2009 | 11:07 PM
LJ993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We are just heading out for some Phil's BBQ, if you are in San Diego, you gotta try it out! I will try to get some photos tomorrow. In hindsight, I wouldn't do it the way it was done on mine. I have enough room for a soft briefcase and nothing else under the hood. I have seen a nice mounting job where it was mounted on the front of the gas tank. Phil
Old 03-15-2009 | 01:42 AM
cy7878
Instructor

Originally Posted by matt777
I just moved my amp from the floor of the trunk to in front of the fuel tank. It involves mounting a board along the front of the tank. The carpet goes overtop and then the amp is mounted. There are a few pics somewhere on the forum which I used as a guide. I left room for a second amp if I mount subs. Right now I have new 5x7's in the parcel shelf and it sounds much better than just having the 6.5" door speakers.

So your amp over over the carpet and not under? Does that mean if you need to take the carpet off you will need to remove the amp as well? I as thinking to mount my Alpine PDX sideways between the tank and the fender and have the carpet cover it. I just figured out today how to cover the hole drilled by the previous owner, so once I have time I will get the amp in and take some pictures.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-15-2009 | 12:53 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my amp in the front too... carpet covered board right in front of the tank w/ the amp on top so it has some air circulation.

Speakers in mine are Infinity Kappas and do sound good. The rears I think are OEM, but being a cab, you can't really hear them well anyway. One of the speaker grills was missing on mine, and they stopped making the exact model I had, so I ordered some new Infinity's and used the speaker grills... painted them flat black. Sold the speakers I just bought here in RL to someone else who didn't need the grills.
Old 03-15-2009 | 01:18 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Oz Audio Marix Elite components in the doors, Oz Audio Vector 4x6 in the rear deck.
fronts powered by Lunar 2125 amp, rears off Headunit: CDR220
Old 03-15-2009 | 02:11 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the hi-fi option, and didn't want to add a new head unit or aftermarket amps. I found these Pioneer Premier speakers to be a great upgrade over the standard nokia speakers. The front speakers are 6.5" but fit straight into the door cutouts with no modification, and the grilles are very stock-looking. The rears fit under the existing grilles.

Front

Rear

Ordered off eBay. Great bang for the buck.

No affiliation:

Rears

Fronts
Old 03-15-2009 | 03:00 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 150 Posts

ADS amp and speakers with Alpine head and iPod hook up. I stuffed some foam in the door panels around the speakers and it improved the bass and took some of the hollow sound away.

Quick Reply: speaker install? what you got?