993 Forum 1995-1998

Ticking sound after winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Ticking sound after winter storage

I just finished replacing the lower uniball joints in my Moton rear shocks and after completing the job last night (around 1am) I wanted to hear the wonderfull sound of the air cooled flat sixer.
Car started ok and and idled nicely but there was a very audible ticking noise (something I know for sure was not there when I put her to hibernation mode last fall).
The frequency of the noise changed along with the engine rpm and I felt it got a litle quieter after running (idling) the car for some 5 minutes.

I did some searching and it seems a failed lifter would cause this kind of noise. However I'm a little skeptic as the noise definately wasn't there when I put the car into winter storage. How could the lifter go bad while the car is just standing?
I also read some posts about ticking noise after long storage, maybe that's the issue here?

There is still plenty of snow on the ground here so I can't even drive the car yet but as soon as the weather and roads get better I'll take her out for a spin. If the sound doesn't go away, I'll take her to a local Porsche doctor to see if they could identify the source of the ticking noise.

Anyone else had this issue after winter storage??
Old 03-14-2009, 01:15 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Give it 30 minutes for the oil to fully circulate and it will go away.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lifters.....it will go away....
Old 03-14-2009, 03:03 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The lifters are full of oil and are subject to engine oil pressure which maintains the correct clearance between the rocker, the cam and the valve. When the car has been sat idle for a long period the oil seeps out of the lifter and it will take a few minutes to fully free up and fill with oil. Thicker oil will slow this process a bit but it should be okay when the oil thins with heat and fully activates the lifter. Assuming the rubber seal on the lifter has not perished.

If it goes away, and if you leave it a few days before stating it again and it's fine, then you've nothing to worry about. If however it starts ticking before settling down again you may need to replace them.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+993 on the previous post's. Mine had the exact same clicking when I brought her out of hibernation 2 weeks ago. After about 20-30 minutes gone.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:57 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same with me and it went away after a short drive. It is amayzing how much I missed driving my car.....
Old 03-14-2009, 09:18 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When sitting for about 2 weeks or more, I remove the DME and crank until there is oil pressure. Then do it again. This usually helps some oil flow after storage.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound after winter storage