Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fishy story? Should I follow up or pass

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009 | 01:56 AM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
May I ask why you'd bother with this car? Unless it's the deal of the century (If it sounds too good to be true.......) I'd move on to a less storied car. Could be a hard sell in the future as well. Only the second 993 I've seen with cloth seats. I guess one plus would be the ROW transmission if it's a 95. LOTS of cars out there right now at prices that seemed crazy less than a year ago. Seems like too much trouble to me.
I love the seats... There are so many 993'S out there.. Why would you not want a euro car... I forgot about the gear box... I bet it makes more power too... I need to do some reseach...

No cudos for the fact it came from the motherland.... I for one love it. If I had my choice ever car I own would be Euro...
Old 03-13-2009 | 02:15 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

If there really are no registration issues then for that transmission alone this car would be a rippin' deal (good ppi) of course. I'd buy it in a second.
Old 03-13-2009 | 08:42 AM
zone5
Burning Brakes

This car has the SUV ride height -- I thought this was limited to the US cars for DOT bumper height issues.

Shouldn't it have the euro suspension settings??
Old 03-13-2009 | 10:38 AM
Marco8
Racer

Originally Posted by RS 197
Where is all this coming from... You guys have personal experience about these issues...

this car has already been imported, it has a legal title, they will not ask for the EPA paperwork...It is also OBD 1, with is way easier to pass emisions...

I could see a problem if the car did not pass and you ran into a crazy EPA guy... DMV has nothing to do with EPA....

If it in the county,with a title you are home free....It is a US car know... nobody cares anymore...There are no DEQ/ DOT/ EPA police waiting for you around the corner...

Most of our cars won't pass EPA anyways... I have very few at least..
+1, main thing is a thorough and well done PPI. And I agree ROW gearing makes this an interesting car.
Old 03-13-2009 | 01:27 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

FWIW, importing a grey market vehicle into the U.S. is a very expensive and labor-intensive thing. I cannot imagine a seller or buyer of this vehicle to NOT transfer copies of the DOT and EPA release papers to the new owner. Yes, it would be extremely rare to run into problems but, since this particular car was supposedly brought in only 5 years ago, that would be easier to trace than one brought in during the grey market hey-days of the mid'80's. I'm just saying if it's worth buying, it's worth investigating and having the papers in hand rather than running the risk of it being confiscated.
Old 03-13-2009 | 01:43 PM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
FWIW, importing a grey market vehicle into the U.S. is a very expensive and labor-intensive thing. I cannot imagine a seller or buyer of this vehicle to NOT transfer copies of the DOT and EPA release papers to the new owner. Yes, it would be extremely rare to run into problems but, since this particular car was supposedly brought in only 5 years ago, that would be easier to trace than one brought in during the grey market hey-days of the mid'80's. I'm just saying if it's worth buying, it's worth investigating and having the papers in hand rather than running the risk of it being confiscated.
Confiscated..... Where do you guys come up with this stuff...

They don't confiscate cars.... You must have read too many 959 articles.

A 95 C2 was imported to the US... Therefore it is legal.....The conversion is very easy, a few stickers, dash lights, bumpers...

Someone buy this car. I think it is worth 10% more with the Euro roots....
Old 03-13-2009 | 01:44 PM
RS 197
Pro

Does the car have a sunroof? I don't think so... Add another 10%
Old 03-13-2009 | 02:11 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Confiscated..... Where do you guys come up with this stuff...

They don't confiscate cars.... You must have read too many 959 articles.

A 95 C2 was imported to the US... Therefore it is legal.....The conversion is very easy, a few stickers, dash lights, bumpers...

Someone buy this car. I think it is worth 10% more with the Euro roots....

That may be so in Oregon, but not Kalifornia. We have stricker smog laws and inspections. Gray market is simply not that easy here, unless they relaxed the law in past 10 years when I had to convert the complete engine in my Gray market car (and that car had been registered in Kalifornia, moved to Washington and moved back and it still had to jump through very difficult hoops)-- and if anything the laws have gotten stricker since then. And our friend here asking the questions is in San Francisco.

Is it possible to do? Of course. Could it be easy? Maybe? Is it something he must check into before buying? Duh.
Old 03-13-2009 | 02:13 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

I think Joe wants this car more than the OP!
Old 03-13-2009 | 02:23 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by patela
. . . and I took it home to Reno, NV. . .
I don't know what the "Republic of Kalifornia" would require to register it, but I do happen to live locally and would be happy to check it out and take a few pictures for you. Let me know if I can help.
Old 03-13-2009 | 02:34 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Where is all this coming from... You guys have personal experience about these issues...

this car has already been imported, it has a legal title, they will not ask for the EPA paperwork...It is also OBD 1, with is way easier to pass emisions...

I could see a problem if the car did not pass and you ran into a crazy EPA guy... DMV has nothing to do with EPA....

If it in the county,with a title you are home free....It is a US car know... nobody cares anymore...There are no DEQ/ DOT/ EPA police waiting for you around the corner...

This just ain't so. Here in California you have to pass smog every two years until your car is 25 years old. Smog test guys are deathly afraid you are a smog-**** CARB inspector trying to trick them into passing a non-compliant car, costing them their license and a big fine. If you don't have the CA-approved smog parts on it or a "CA-OK" sticker you don't pass. You don't pass, you can't drive, you can't sell.
Old 03-13-2009 | 04:01 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

RS 197, FYI, just because a car was brought into the U.S., it doesn't mean it was done legally or correctly. Many states' DMV's are very, very strict and, when they recognize a non-U.S. VIN, they may investigate and require physical inspection at a DMV Inspection Station before they will issue a title. Yes, confiscation is rare but it does happen. Most of the time, an owner whose car is found to be illegal will be required to either bring it into compliance or ship it out of the country. As has been stated before, many insurance companies will not insure a grey market vehicle for fear that, if the vehicle is in an accident, parts availability may be an issue. In addition, some vehicles required door beams to be added and they may not have been up to spec., creating a liability issue that they prefer not to face. I'd say if you've had an easy time of it, consider yourself lucky and maintain a low profle about it.
Old 03-13-2009 | 07:17 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Joe is right . I don't know the price (maybe I missed that out) but let's look at the facts. If this car has not been in a major accident (which a good PPI should reveal):

1. pre '96 ROW gearing (big plus)
2. sunroof delete (Joe is right, the center button is missing on the center console. One is for the retractable spoiler, one is for the rear wiper and none is for the sunroof ).

As far as the seats being cloth, who cares with you are replacing them with Recaro PPs..

Do I smell DONOR CAR FOR RS CLONE??? go for it dudes, how many 993s with sunroof delete and ROW gearing for that price over there??
Old 03-30-2009 | 10:36 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

I was wondering about that car, too.

Regarding emissions, if it doesn't have a sticker that says it meets CA emission standards, then good luck! I think it could be brought in only by the current owner moving into the state, otherwise the level of difficulty will be much higher.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

Quick Reply: Fishy story? Should I follow up or pass