Sponsored by:

Fishy story? Should I follow up or pass

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:51 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fishy story? Should I follow up or pass

So I contacted someone about a '95 C4 which has sidemarker lights and cloth seats. Here's the response I got.... Do you think it's worth following up on, or should I stay away. What other things to I have to worry about in terms of parts availability and registration in California. Thoughts on a fair price?

Thanks!!!

This car was purchased new by an Army doctor stationed in Germany who used it as a high speed commuter on the Autobahn. He brought it home with him when he was reassigned to Fort Lewis, WA. It had about 60,000 miles on it when a good friend of mine In Tacoma, WA purchased it. When I finally talked him into selling it to me it had about 75,000 miles on the clock and I took it home to Reno, NV.
It was part of my friend's collection that included a Speedster, a '63 split window and a Z06 Corvette, a 355 Ferrari, an SS396 and other muscle cars. He was very meticulous about the care of his cars and because the paint on the 911's bumper and hood had experienced some wear from the Autobahn runs, he chose to have the whole car redone. A shop in Lakewood, WA that specializes in show cars did the work and it looks fantastic. This car has never been damaged or been in an accident of any kind and this work was purely cosmetic and done only to enhance it's appearance.

The oil (Mobile One Synthetic) has been changed about every 3500 miles and the BFG kdw tires, which have only 15000 miles on them, are in great condition. The only records I've kept, however, are relative to the warranty for the maintenance work that I had performed about 3000 miles ago to have the upper and lower valve cover gaskets, lifters, all three drive belts and the battery replaced. Other than that, this has been an entirely trouble free, dependable and enjoyable car.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Sounds fishy to me, but, with a good ppi and a good look over, could be nice.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:25 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A carfax report will generally tell you where the car has been all its life. It should show when it was imported and what states it has been in and mileage at each of those transition points. It may also identify if the respray was due to a major accident. This is fairly cheap information before looking further.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Sounds more fishy than a mermaids armpit.
These stories about car collections always make me think trouble.
And a "doctor" quote too.

Get a PPI from a well known (i.e. rennlist reccomended) shop, and see what their verdict is.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:36 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Only 15K miles on the tires - it's a steal go for it!!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Nickels
Advanced

This is probably a "gray market" vehicle. Being an Insurance Agent, these cars are difficult to insure. If you move forward with this, the seller should have some sort of documentation that the car was brought up to North American specs.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I wouldn't be any more skeptical of it than with any other arm's length deal. Proceed with a CarFax, PPI, and a healthy does of caveat emptor. But, don't forget: cars are like buses (are like women); there'll be another one coming by in about 10 minutes.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by ppashley
These stories about car collections always make me think trouble.

That part raised warning flags to me, too.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

What's the VIN? If it's a "ZZZ" VIN its not a US car. Then, especially in CA, you would need a sticker showing it's OK to register here. Could cost $$$ to comply. Probably not worth the effort unless it's special in some other way.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:16 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

What's the VIN? If it's a "ZZZ" VIN its not a US car. Then, especially in CA, you would need a sticker showing it's OK to register here. Could cost $$$ to comply. Probably not worth the effort unless it's special in some other way.
VIN is a ZZZ. What's involved in getting the sticker?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by patela
VIN is a ZZZ. What's involved in getting the sticker?
For that, I'm afraid, you will have to ask . . . the DMV
Old 03-12-2009, 06:38 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by patela
He was very meticulous about the care of his cars and because the paint on the 911's bumper and hood had experienced some wear from the Autobahn runs, he chose to have the whole car redone.

The oil (Mobile One Synthetic) has been changed about every 3500 miles and the BFG kdw tires, which have only 15000 miles on them, are in great condition.
My car was repainted by the PO who thought he was keeping it forever, subsequently had kids, got married and his plan changed. No signs of accident damage, clean carfax, clean PPI, so I bought it.

Why would you change Mobile1 every 3500 miles???

Those aren't the most expensive tires out there. However I know some people running the less expensive BFG and they like them for the cost/performance trade-off. At 15K mi, I HOPE he's talking about the fronts... You WILL be needing new tires.

I can't imagine cloth seat being very desirable when you go to sell this car sometime in the future.

my 2c...
Old 03-12-2009, 07:09 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

This is probably a "gray market" vehicle. Being an Insurance Agent, these cars are difficult to insure. If you move forward with this, the seller should have some sort of documentation that the car was brought up to North American specs.
According to the Carfax, the car was imported to the US in Feb. 2002, and declared to meet US safety standards by the DOT at that time. Would that suffice as documentation for insurance purposes?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

The PO, if he's not FOS, would have documentation describing the full respray (not a small undertaking). Also, the presumed 'doctor' would have been required to meet DOT regulations - one should presume that those records transfer as well.

As for 'only 15,000 miles' on the tires - they must look like drag slicks.

Parts availability should not be an issue - very liitle separates a U.S.-spec 993 from a ROW-spec 993.

Any pics?

Andreas
Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 PM
RS 197
Pro

I think it is really cool...Pictures... Not very many Euro 993s in the country... If you don't buy it pass the info on to me...

Quick Reply: Fishy story? Should I follow up or pass