Sponsored by:

Steering problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:57 AM
clipstone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problem?

So I'm driving to work this am at about 60 in the 993, which always seems to produce a weird vibration through the steering wheel.

Usually this vibration goes either just above 60, or just below. Today, instead of that, the thing goes mental, almost like it had reached a point where the vibration was getting bigger and bigger, to the point where the wheel, despite being straight, is literally swinging in my hand about an inch or so in either direction ... speeding up and slowing down make no difference and I begin to panic.

Pull off at the services - no flat tire, wheels still attached to car and do not seem to have any excessive play ... get back in and it drives fine the remaining 20 miles into work?

Any ideas ... wheels were all balanced so doubt it is that ... hoping its nothing too bad but knocked my confidence in the car and needs sorting.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

speed related vibration is usually a balance problem (wheels do throw weights from time to time) but the wild gyrating steering wheel must indicate one or more loose parts such as tie rods, bushings or ???
Old 03-12-2009, 09:15 AM
KLSpeed27
Racer

I had a tie rod fail on me but that just made the steering wheel go off center about 10 degrees, no vibration. I would jack it up and check for excessive play in the system. If it's as bad as you described your bound to notice something unusual...
Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 AM
clipstone
Instructor

Originally Posted by KLSpeed27
I had a tie rod fail on me but that just made the steering wheel go off center about 10 degrees, no vibration. I would jack it up and check for excessive play in the system. If it's as bad as you described your bound to notice something unusual...
To be fair unless the wheel fell off I would struggle to notice ... my mechanical knowledge is pretty lame.

Think I will get my local indie to check it out - cheers guys.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Have your wrench check the front control arm bushings as this is a common symtom, random wheel shakes.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

How about the rubber-damped inner tie rods?

Andreas

Quick Reply: Steering problem?