Newbie -- looking 4 993 c2s values

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Newbie -- looking 4 993 c2s values

Hello everyone!!
My name is Phil, and I'm a Porsche-holic.
I've been a P-car owner for 20 years. My first was (and still is) a 1963 356b. Many years later I went for some modern machinery and purchased a 2004 Boxster S. Love that car! I then threw a 1973 911t into the mix for good measure.
I'm now looking to buy a 993. Thinking maybe c2s. I want a top of the line car. No beaters. My question; What is the TOP of the c2s market right now. I've been lurking and checking posts here and checking classifieds everywhere. Ebay, you name it, I've been there. So what would you guys pay for a low miles (<25k mi.) well optioned c2s? Like what options?

Motor sound pckg., lots of leather, rear wiper, turbo II aero kit F+R, sport seats, 18" turbo wheels.
Reading through the current posts on prices looks like doom and gloom for those selling. Reading through the classifieds looks like we're still living the good times! Talk to sellers and maybe they think this economy is just a blip on the economic charts. I'm confused. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Phil

P.S. Anyone have a clean c2s they are thinking of selling?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 390 Posts

Your a Porsche-holic and owner for over 20 years, and only have 2 posts on rennlist - where have you been!

Welcome

Prices are all over the place, especially at dealers. However, I would think mid to high $40s will get you what you want, but may not under 25k miles. For that, you are probably looking at low to mid $50K.

ps - don't get to hung up on miles with 10 year old plus cars. There are many great examples out there around 50k miles or more, plus you will save money which can go to mods.

Good Luck
Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Top?

Alfie from Ira Porsche told me about a 1998 C2S with 4K miles that sold for over $70K maybe 6 months ago...maybe a bit longer.

I would imagine that a garage queen 1998 widebody with under 25k miles would still run a good $50K....maybe Alfie will add his opinion.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 390 Posts

Oh, I am sure you know about Michael.. he has a few: http://willhoitenterprises.com/inventory.htm

Plus a 19k mile C4S.

You probably won't like the prices.

No affiliation, but Michael is a likable guy, as long as you remember he is a salesman.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:18 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the opinions. Thought I might get a little better reponse. Probably most don't give a darn what a "newbie" posts. Should probably stick with what I know. Also these prices are way higher than earlier theads. What was that one --- a '97 or '98? c4s with like 23k mi. and prices were anywhere from $30k - $40. Now I'm hearing $50k for a c2s? I'm still cofused.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:26 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

You said you wanted a "top of the line car"...your words. You are not getting that for under $40K.....and if "top of the line" means low, low miles you aren't getting it for under $50K either....unless you are extremely lucky.

Condition and miles are critical for determining value and you set the bar as high as it goes.

However, you did get some good advice in this thread as well as a link to a solid dealer. Holt is another.

If you relax your standards, you will get a wider response.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:32 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Thanks for the opinions. Thought I might get a little better reponse. Probably most don't give a darn what a "newbie" posts. Should probably stick with what I know. Also these prices are way higher than earlier theads. What was that one --- a '97 or '98? c4s with like 23k mi. and prices were anywhere from $30k - $40. Now I'm hearing $50k for a c2s? I'm still cofused.
What kind of response were you looking for???

I agree with DC on this. The C4S is usually going to be cheaper than the C2S due to production numbers. If you want a low mileage garage queen, you're going to be looking at upwards of $50K. I think the previous posters were pretty much right on.

Get a low mileage car if you're not going to drive it and put it in a bubble. If you're going to actually drive it, get one that's been driven and exercised (read: normal miles), and been kept up accordingly. These cars don't like to sit.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:42 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Regarding low mileage cars sitting...

You need to make sure you at least bring the car up to proper operating temperature often enough to keep the gaskets from drying out. The general consensus that I have heard is that you should drive the car for a minimum of 30 minutes every 60 days. This will keep everything properly lubed up.

The mileage is not really the issue - the issue is whether or not the engine/seals/gaskets/etc. have been properly maintained. This can be done with surprisingly little mileage. You want to stay away from a car that has sit for a few years...unless you are prepared to have it thoroughly checked out for issues exacerbated by lack of use.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the comments so far - here's a nice one realistically priced
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...atriation.html
Old 03-12-2009, 02:37 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

And here. No affiliation. Ya da ya.. I have heard if you come off as not serious about buying a car from them, they are not friendly..

http://www.weissachautohaus.com/cars/090103/090103.html
Old 03-12-2009, 02:43 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Regarding low mileage cars sitting...

You need to make sure you at least bring the car up to proper operating temperature often enough to keep the gaskets from drying out. The general consensus that I have heard is that you should drive the car for a minimum of 30 minutes every 60 days. This will keep everything properly lubed up.

The mileage is not really the issue - the issue is whether or not the engine/seals/gaskets/etc. have been properly maintained. This can be done with surprisingly little mileage. You want to stay away from a car that has sit for a few years...unless you are prepared to have it thoroughly checked out for issues exacerbated by lack of use.
True about the exercising the seals. Apart from driving the cars, there's no real way to "maintain" the seals. I don't know the time frame as to how often you should be driving, but my mechanic yells at me when I don't take it out once a week. In my opinion, if you're going to drive the car, get one with some miles on it already. Then your chances of getting a car that's been regularly exercised are far greater. Plus, they're cheaper and you won't feel like money is flying out the window everytime you go for a drive. YMMV.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought I might get a little better response...RollingArt
Hi Phil:

It could be that that is because C2S / C4S prices are baffling. But that could just be me.

Last year when I was in the hunt, I found it hard enough just to get a handle on the prices of the narrow body non turbo/S cars. Part of the problem is that as the miles go down, the prices go up, at seemingly varying rates.

...what a newbie posts...
I've just been here a year, but I find it's a pretty friendly place.

Good luck in your search. These cars really grow on you.

Last edited by Rinty; 03-12-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie -- looking 4 993 c2s values