Parts - LA dismantler

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by stephenlin44
If you have been ripped off by Los Angeles Porsche Dismantler......
stephenlin44 – So, you posted for the first time on Rennlist today on four different threads with the same exact message; all targeting LA Porsche Dismantler. Is there more to the story?

I have bought numerous things from them for my 993 and Boxster S without a problem. They are great folks.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 on what Chuck said. I have only used them twice, but both times were flawless. Not a good first 4 posts IMHO.

Mike
Old 05-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Biggdawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LAPD

Google them and you will find the answers you are looking for. I would check other forums like Pelican as well. I have never used them however most places have reviews on the net.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I have not purchased anything from them because I have better prices elsewhere. I would like to mention 20th St. Auto in AZ to go along with the good experiences using DC Auto and Oklahoma Foreign for recycled parts. Doesn't LAPD use www.911pcar.com as well?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:58 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my BBS Lms there. Found them on Ebay, and picked them up within 2 hours.
Got a good deal on them. I was the first one to call and show up. Had I waited any longer, they would have raised the price for sure.

My impression with them is that you have to bargain, stand your grounds, shake hands, pay cash and leave. I would not expect, nor care, for much of a warranty on anything I bought there (obviously the price should reflect that!)

I would rate my overall transaction as neutral, not negative. They did honor the price we agreed on over the phone. The rims and tires were in great condition, just as they advertised.

I would personally deal with them again. I would deal in person, and only to buy parts I can see and touch (personal preference when buying from any junk yard or dismantler.) They do have a lot of hard to find stuff!

They did say they checked Rennlist and other websites quite often:-)
Old 05-25-2009, 10:42 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Got GT3 wheel carriers for my brake conversion. Item was as described and all part were there. Shipping was fast and barely took 4 days from CA to montreal canada. Sorry my story was a good and know a few guys around here who used them and had same results.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:25 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think customer service can be jugded based on flawless transactions. What counts most is when things go wrong and how much they are willing to correct their mistakes (assume it's theirs).
Old 05-26-2009, 05:22 PM
red89
Racer

Originally Posted by stephenlin44
They have been indicted for numerous consumer frauds recently, and in all likelihood will be shut down so if you have any claims you want to submit you should do it promptly before the money is all gone.
I bought seats for my brother in Spokane last Thursday. They arrived there today. Seems like a lot of BS to me.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fwiw, I spoke with Deputy City Attorney Don Kass. If anyone is interested you can pm me. There is no issue by the City Attorney's office with used parts being sold by LAPD. There is a single incident involving a repair/conversion that is being investigated.

In the meantime, here is a story about LAPD in the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,5246314.story

I suppose as with any business, there are good days and bad days.

I have no affiliation with LAPD. However, I am considering visiting their place of business to get some parts. They confirmed that they take cash, checks, or credit cards from local customers and will write receipts, despite what has been posted here.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
I am considering visiting their place of business to get some parts.
It is a great place to visit. Ask for a tour of the storage area. I am like a kid in a candy store. It is amazing what these great cars endure.

Last edited by Chuck W.; 05-27-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got some electrical parts from them for my rear foglight conversion. They sent the wrong part but a phone call and a few days later I had the correct part. Sorry guys but my experience doesn't support your tales of evil either.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority. I bought a part from them when I was in LA on business a couple of years ago. Met one of the guys at Dan Tana's after work, picked it up, all was well.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default LAPD

I posted my multiple experiences with LAPD the last time they got slammed. My experiences have been positive in dealing with nice people. The reason I am jumping in again is: Last week I phoned about an upper dash in Midnight Blue leather. Three business days later I received what I had requested at a fair price with courteous service. What else is there to ask for - nice people, quick response, good product, and fair price. Clearly each of these is open to interpretation as to what is nice, quick, good and fair. I would suggest that those in the area drop by the business and check them out (just off of "The 5"). Those not in the area try it out with a courteous and open mind. Your expectations may not be met, but mine (and clearly others) were.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:15 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a shifter from them and they even were willing to swap the boot to a color that I preferred. I received the part no problem and they were pretty easy to deal with. Their prices are a little outrageous (used red seatbelts for more than dealer cost new) but that is each to their own.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:45 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
It is a great place to visit. Ask for a tour of the storage area. I am like a kid in a candy store. It is amazing what these great cars endure.
It looks like stephenlin44 deleted his post about the District Attorney's Office investigating them for fraud. As I mentioned, I called Deputy DA Don Kass and he assured me that there is no investigation other than an issue about a repair/conversion they performed. He seemed surprised that somebody posted this on an internet forum. I can only gather that stephenlin44 may be one of the parties involved(?)

Anyway, I'm going to head over there and look around at what they have. And no doubt will end up parting with some of my $$

Quick Reply: Parts - LA dismantler