Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Ever get a ticket for > 100 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

I had a friend that had the exact same thing thing happen to him! So, he pulled out his pilot's license.

The cop said, "I asked for that." Ended up laughing and let him go with a warning.

Originally Posted by 993_Pilot
I got pulled over for going 95 in a 55 in my dads Porsche back in College. The first thing the officer said to me was, "Can I see your pilots license?" Well, I had just gotten my private pilots license, and was very tempted to pull it out. Thankfully I exercised a bit of discretion and resisted, because he ended up letting me off with a warning!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:47 PM
JMR
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 8 years ago I got popped by a PA State Trooper for 103 in a 55 in my E36 M3 and also charged with Racing on Highways (automatic 6 month suspension). I was in fact racing my friend in his 84 Carrera and, unfortunately, winning. That is why I got the speeding ticket. My friend was also pulled over at the same time by the same Trooper and issued a Racing on Highways ticket. The Trooper said we went by him so fast that he could only get a radar lock on the first car. He was very pissed.

We hired a big-time fixer and went to court. I pled to 85 in a 55 and got 5 points (at 6 you loose your license). My friend pled to Careless Driving and I think got 3. The judge berated us like we deserved. He even threw our licenses in the garbage during the tirade.

I changed insurance companies 2 weeks before the trial and truthfully answered the question, "Have you been CONVICTED of a motor vehicle violation in the last 3 years." I had not so my record was clear. Insurance company never checked my DMV again so there was no insurance impact.

I KNOW MY ACTIONS WERE STUPID AND I DID LEARN MY LESSON. Sold the M3 and bought a Jeep and a 993 track car. The Jeep has been my saving grace (on my 5th one now). I rarely, if ever, speed and when I do, it is barely. Never been stopped since.

Last edited by JMR; 03-05-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
The food and the company are both items that I would not serve at home.
...that's hilarious...
Old 03-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

117 in a 55 zone in nowhere Nebraska in spring of 1989 (spring break)

Gen II RX-7

Cop spun out following me off exit ramp, pulled his revolver when he did get us stopped. Didn't shoot us but wanted to ;-)

$99 + $4 credit card convenience charge, no points. Have a nice day boys.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I never exceed the speed limit....

Old 03-06-2009, 01:39 PM
speedbump2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About twelve years ago in Vermont, 108 in a 55 in, of all things, a '96 Saturn SL2.
I think going over 55 in that thing probably qualified me for a reckless driving citation

Cost me $300, and no points ever showed up on my NY license, nor any increase in my insurance rate.

Nowadays, in most East coast states, anything more than 40 over can get you arrested and your car impounded.

--Chuck--

P.S. - -
This has helped me out a few times:
Old 03-06-2009, 06:59 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Jail time for speeding? I could understand if it was a busy highway and the offender was travelling at a much higher speed than other traffic and endangering other road users but high speed on a deserted highway in a well maintained performance car is not the crime of the century in my book. Murderers get out after only a few years, why plug up the jails with speeders?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:17 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

102 in a 65---got a verbal warning
Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Jail time for speeding? I could understand if it was a busy highway and the offender was travelling at a much higher speed than other traffic and endangering other road users but high speed on a deserted highway in a well maintained performance car is not the crime of the century in my book. Murderers get out after only a few years, why plug up the jails with speeders?
Mr. Tim,

Couldn't agree more, but its all about revenue and in some cases, the "appearance" of safety.

Anything over 100 in OR now gets you a direct trip to the pokey, your car impounded, and a $1000 fine, regardless of circumstances. No warnings for anything over 90 MPH.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:31 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

In VT there are no "staties" on the highway between 1:00AM and 7:00AM. Local cops have been deputized to patrol the highways but only in their town. Considering that most but not all exits are 11-13 miles apart on the interstate you can have at it during those hours. Driving to Hillclimbs/DE's/Auto-x I routinely have a "little" fun as it is before 7:00AM when I'm traveling. One time in my former GT3 I drove from NYC (Cross Bronx Expressway) to my house in northern VT in two hours and thirty eight minutes. I left NYC at 1:00AM and was in the office first thing in the morning.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:56 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No 100+ tickets here, but I'm glad I'm reading this. I always figured it would be a hefty fine, but I had no idea what some of these states do. I can understand racing, crowded street, etc. being a major offense, but 100 isn't that far over the speed limit in some places. When we drive to Colorado to go skiing, we drive through west TX and New Mexico and I'll be cruising 90-100 on some stretches and I'll still have a few people passsing us. The speed limit is already 70 or 75 in most places and it's so flat, straight, and open, that it's tough to keep the speed down. Nothing to hit but birds and bunnies. We've made over 10 trips and got 1 ticket (my wife), so I think the cops are pretty tolerant. It would really put a damper on a vacation to be thrown in jail for speeding. I'm making a mental note to check TX and New Mexico laws before our next ski trip.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:46 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

100 in a 55 in 2001 in Mecklenburg County Virginia. I got on the highway and there were no cars in front of me. I accelerated through all 6 gears. There was a car about a mile or so in front of me, and he pulled over. I thought I had scared an older driver as my closing speed was 50-60 mph. I let up on the throttle and passed him doing about 75 mph. He turned on his blue lights. Opps. Wrote me for 100 in a 55. He was one of the few troopers in the county I didn't know (I was the local ME). Told a trooper friend of mine he clocked me at 120. Ended up with $500 fine and $500 lawyers fees. No jail or suspended license. Worst part was having to tell the judge that I was going to Winn Dixie for some milk.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:06 PM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I heard that in PA, if you get caught over 100, you won't be asked for license or...

registration, but for your wrists, because youre going handcuffed to jail.
Not sure if true, but that inmediately changed the way I drive.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not for over 100mph, but nailed badly in NC on the way to Deals Gap in my WRX (long before I had the 993)

The officer thought it would be a good idea to pass cars in the median while trying to "catch" us. We were going a mind-warping 85. Speed limit was 65. Said we were racing a mustang and if I remember right, the speed he wrote was 96mph. I'm 100% sure I wasn't going that fast, and the mustang had accelerated as we were passing him. I remember looking in my rear view mirror saying "damn, somebody is in some REAL trouble" after seeing the cop passing people in the median. Then he pulled in behind me.

Ended up with quite a bit in lawyer fees, $500 fine, and 40 (yes 40!) hours of community service.

He even asked if my license said "Indianapolis Speed Racer" on it and then told me "We don't drive like that here in NC boy"
I wanted to ask why he was passing cars in the median then but thought better of it. He was having a VERY bad day it seems.

I also later learned that the county we were stopped in was the worst possible place (besides current-day VA) to get a ticket on the east coast.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Police here in the UK cancelled all mine because they gave me authorization to speed! Well over 100mph - And I received a very nice thank you letter from the 'Chief'.

I'll explain before you all ship over here!

Driving on the freeway I notice a truly awful driver in the outside lane, well he was in the outside lane, then the middle, inside, hard shoulder rumble strip... All over the shop and clearly 'lashed'.

So call the Police, give them the car details and think nothing more of it. Phone rings 10 mins latter;

Police - Hello is that Mr L*****
Me - Yes
Police - We're having a bit of difficulty getting a car out, can you follow him?
Me - Yes but I'll break the speed limit, a lot.
Police - Well don’t put yourself or other road users in danger. We're concerned he'll duck off the 'motorway'.
Me - So your giving me authorisation
Police - Yes
Me - OK, I'll follow him
Police - We'll stay on the line so you can provide commentary
Me - OK
Police - What Junction are you
Me - At the merge with the other freeway( 6 lanes). Hang on.. f**king hell the idiot nearly took out a black Jaguar.
Police - Can you stay behind him so no one gets in
Me - Sure

15 mins later a marked car shows up behind me, I step out the way and they pull him. The 'idiot' driver was over twice the blood alcohol limit.

Quick Reply: Ever get a ticket for > 100 mph?