Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA Smog Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:29 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's nothing that special about CA versus a lot of other states. Any inspection that hooks up to your OBD2 port to check for flags is going to be the same...if there are codes thrown and the system is not reset you'll likely fail. If you can register it in a state without smog tests, or with only minimal ones then it's an obvious choice. Just don't get too many tickets in CA or you'll pay a big fine (they track where the car is through stuff like parking tickets).

By the way, most our cars can pass CA smog with no problem.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
There's nothing that special about CA versus a lot of other states. Any inspection that hooks up to your OBD2 port to check for flags is going to be the same...if there are codes thrown and the system is not reset you'll likely fail. If you can register it in a state without smog tests, or with only minimal ones then it's an obvious choice. Just don't get too many tickets in CA or you'll pay a big fine (they track where the car is through stuff like parking tickets).

By the way, most our cars can pass CA smog with no problem.
thanks for the answer.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:09 PM
billdog
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going through this hell now with my 97 993 Cab. 3 trips to the Smog check (after driving varying distances/speeds/etc. for over 250 miles).

Referee in Torrance (El Camino) told me that the only way to get past this is to go to a PORSCHE DEALER to have the inspected top to bottom and certified that it is in perfect working order and then bring back the documentation. He said this was the ONLY way to get a Porsche passed without the function codes operating.

Last I checked it wasn't legal to exclude 3rd party service providers, but there you have it. Looks like I have not choice but to go to a dealer.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Bill - the same referee manager at El Camino College told me the same thing. He said that you could take it to a dealer and if they certified that there were no faults in "Mode 6" data than they would smog it. It's ridiculous because CA's air isn't any cleaner because of some readiness codes, and my car's exhaust was very clean.

What's the trouble with your 993? In the end I took it to Otto's in Venice and after a few hours they got the codes to set and I got a regular smog test and passed, but my wallet was somewhat lighter.

Quick Reply: CA Smog Problem