Sponsored by: DashLynx

CA Smog Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
maxbrandt
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CA Smog Problem

My 1997 (54K mile) 993 is having a problem getting smogged in CA. I went to a referee and Passed the Comprehensive Visual Inspection, Passed the Emissions Test BUT Failed the Functional Check.

I am at a loss on what to do. The Porsche dealer wants $10K to do a valve job. My local Manhattan Beach mechanic will do it for $8K.

The car is not a polluter and it amazes me that I have to do a valve job just to pass CA smog. The car runs great and doesn't need a valve job.

Does anyone know what I should do?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

Help me out here; what is the "Functional Check". I too had to go to the referee due to the lack of codes. Once I passed the visual and emissions test I was given a certificate and was good to go.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 PM
maxbrandt
3rd Gear

My "Check Engine Light" (CEL) is not on. However, within the Functional Check, I failed MIL/Check Engine Light? The ref told me that a year ago he could have passed me, but the authorities are telling him to pass only vehicles that pass all 3 tests. I am sooooo bummed and no one seems to know what to do other than spend $$$ to fix a silly problem.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:08 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Merely the CEL doesn't work properly? Did someone pull an SAI code, in lieu of a functioning CEL? Any of these don't automatically put you on the "go to valve guide replacement, don't pass Go, don't collect $200."

Taking any of these vintage cars to a dealer is just an excuse to part with your money. That an independent has not further diagnosed the problem into a (likely) electrical issue, even on a casual over the phone basis, would also make me nervous.

The above is based upon how I'm understanding the problem..................
Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maxbrandt,
First of all, is your CEL bulb merely burned out? Check that first.
I had SAI / CEL issues and was able to clear all the error codes using the Durametric software and utilizing the BMW drive cycle routine set 4 of the 5 readiness codes. Passed smog. Let me know if I can help.
Phil
Old 03-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

All good suggestions here. I have been down this raod a couple times and I would definitely get it checked out by an independent shop. Let us know where you are located and I am sure there will be some recomendations for good shops.

BOL
Old 03-03-2009, 01:00 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it down to Tony Callas in Torrence (Callas Rennsport) and have him take a look. He's well known on this forum and will give you an accurate read of your options.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:48 AM
travanx
Pro

And please keep the thread updated. My smog on my 95 is next April, and I am scared at what Cali is doing. I think whatever you go through can affect a 95 still depending on what gets changed each year.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:12 AM
4sound
Advanced

The old days of being able to get Calif. to exempt the SAI issues are gone. Before, as long as the vehicle would pass the functional test and met the emission requirements you could get the 993 exempt.
race911 is correct. Being the owner of an independent shop, we have had 993 owners come in claiming another shop said the only way they could cure this issue was by having the valve guides replaced. On some 96-98 993's, we have been able to repair the problem without the expensive need of replacing the valve guides. No doubt, there are shops out there that will jump to suggest to do the expensive valve guide replacement before doing the due diligence needed to correctly diagnose the problem.
In today's economy, it's that much more important that the customer is given options that might be available to remedy the problem.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Take it down to Tony Callas in Torrence (Callas Rennsport) and have him take a look. He's well known on this forum and will give you an accurate read of your options.
This is a good idea; you need someone who will tell you what the issue is before recommending an $8-10k repair. And if you needed a valve job, I doubt the car would have run clean enough to pass that part of the test.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 PM
LA 993
Track Day

maxbrandt,

I am local to you and had very similar issues. I maybe able to help you. Send me your contact information.
Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey Max,
I'm in Redondo and may be able to help you out with some suggestions. You can email me at:
enochsleestack(at)yahoo(dot)com
Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 PM
artasst
6th Gear

I've got a '96C2 and been jumping through the CA smog hoops since 1998. Porsche went so far as to replace the guides on their dime. Finally discovered the "CA referee" here on Rennlist and sailed through until last December when he failed me for your exact same non issue. My independent on the West Side was able to get me passed. The ref said it is only going to get worse for us...the State is going down the tube and all they've got worry about is my tailpipe?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 PM
maxbrandt
3rd Gear

UPDATE! My 993 finally passed CA smog yesterday. I was able to get all my codes cleared and ready to pass the functional test by performing a "cold start". I let the car sit for at least 8 hours, started it up and let it idle for 2 minutes. Then I drove around town at very low rpm's (not more than 2,400 rpm's) at varing speeds at 20 mph, then a stretch or two at 30 mph along with several red light stops. I never reved the engine and just putted around for about 20 minutes on flat roads. I then pulled into a lot and let the car idle for 5 minutes while I unscrewed the gas cap. I screwed the gas cap back in and to my complete amazement, I had zero incompletes and was now ready to be able to get tested. The car passed with no ploblems. What a nightmare. I believe the key was the cold start and low rpms along with good luck!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:42 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations....

for the uninitiated (me)...what the HELL is the deal with CA smog etc.... I was debating registering a 993 in CA...but now I am having second thoughts...

any input on what this is all about and whether i should go ahead with "plan A"...or just claim residence somewhere else (aka "plan B") ?

alf

Quick Reply: CA Smog Problem