Sponsored by:

Tachometer/obc R&R

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 PM
fullbooker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Tachometer/obc R&R

I'm replacing my tach with dim OBC with another that hopefully is not dim. My question is:
Do I need to remove the steering wheel and steering column cover to remove the tach?
Also, if removing the steering wheel should I disconnect the battery to guard against air bag issues?

Does anyone have a DIY on this procedure?

Thanks for your help!

Phil
Old 03-01-2009, 10:16 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to pop the tach out with the steering wheel still in place. It might be helpful to remove the clock first and then push the speedo out from behind and then push the tach out from behind as well.

So, do you have any plans for the tach that you are removing? I could use one for a project...
Old 03-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

You know, the OBC just has little bulbs back there that take 5min to replace, & cost $5.

No, the steering wheel does not need to come out, but it's a super tight fit, & you need to spray some detailing spray around the are to help the rubber slip out instead of grabbing.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:15 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Aribop; do you still need a tach? I replaced mine because it was making a noticeable ticking noise at about 3700 rpms. otherwise it works well. non-OBC.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the OBC Tach in another car and the only way to get it out is remove the steering wheel. I know this is not what you want to hear but it is a fact. The OBC Tach is longer than the regular tach and it won't come out as a regular tach does.

Mike
Old 03-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
I had the OBC Tach in another car and the only way to get it out is remove the steering wheel. I know this is not what you want to hear but it is a fact. The OBC Tach is longer than the regular tach and it won't come out as a regular tach does.

Mike
Correct OBC tach's will not come out without the steering wheel off. I have a dim OBC and just did a 3 spoke steering wheel upgrade. I ordered a couple of the little bulbs ahead of time knowing my wheel would be off.

When I took the exisiting OBC bulb out I took a close look at it and the filament seemed fine so I didn't hold out much hope. Replaced it anyway and reinstalled.

Still dim. It is a common circuit board issue...not the bulb. Palo Alto Speedometer charges $400 for a rebuild.

Anybody have an tach with a OBC that illuminates correctly for less than $400?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Guys, i just did my OBC light, & was able to pull it out with the steering wheel in. I had to use some speed detailer to lube the dash & steering panel, it's a bit of a pain, but it will come out. The big problem is the rubber gasket, pull that to the end of the tac, it helps.

Quick Reply: Tachometer/obc R&R