Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is going to Portland International Raceway this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is going to Portland International Raceway this weekend?

From the schedule it looks like there is a Porsche club even at PIR this weekend. I was woundering if anyone here knows whats going on there and what the schedual is for events?
Will there be a car show?
Can I get in if im not a member of PCA?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 PM
ste993
Pro

I can tell you it's gonna rain!!

Check these:

http://www.portlandraceway.com/index...=28&Itemid=123

http://www.portlandraceway.com/index...=01&Itemid=123

Last edited by ste993; 02-25-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added links
Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 PM
ste993
Pro

By the way 944/951guy, I might go over there to check it out but won't be taking my 993. I'm not a PCA member either but want to go check it out. If you go I'll see you there.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

You don't need to be a PCA member to participate in Driver Ed events,...just bring your checkbook, your helmet, and an open mind toward learning something new,...

The WX forecast may not be rainy for the weekend so don't rule that out. Our weatherpeople are notoriously inaccurate and its too soon to make any predictions about the weekend.

That said, you REALLY can fine-tune your car control skills much easier in the rain and thats what truly makes one a better driver.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Will there be like a show and shine one of the days??
Cause my 993 isent ready so im not going there to track, Just want to bring my camera and take some pics.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

No car show, but there will be some great cars in the Paddock area. This will be a good event, as there will be Autocross, On track DE, Time Trial and a Teen Drivers clinic. I believe they also have a friday & saturday night dinner planned with guest speakers.

For a normal DE day we usally have a great mix of Cars, 993's, 996, 997, turbos, gt3's, gt2, lots of BMW's, and the ocassional ferrari, Carrera GT, lambo & other exotics.

Here's some info I received about it via email:

THE SPRING BREAK-OUT
A track junkies kick start to the driving season

February 27/March 1, 2009
Portland International Raceway

Registration ended Feb 18, 2009.

The program will consist of a Teen Drivers Skills Clinic, an Autocross Skills Clinic, two conventional Autocross events, two days of HPDE (High Performance Driver Education) and a Time Trial event. In addition, we have a Dinner and Speaker Program planned for both Friday and Saturday nights at the event hotel, Oxford Suites, in Jantzen Beach (about a mile from the track). Friday, Tom Kotzian, SCCA Solo II National Champion and Saturday, Cindi Lux, Professional Race Driver and Driving Coach will share their wisdom and stories with us. Space is limited for both of the evening speaker events, so register early to ensure a spot. (FYI, you may purchase up to 10 dinner tickets to include your family and guests). In addition, we have negotiated a special rate with the hotel and reserved a block of rooms, rates expire January 27th.

The Drivers Skills Clinics will occur in the mornings on both days. Saturday will feature a Teens Drivers Skills Clinic geared towards allowing teen drivers (21 and younger may participate) to experience firsthand, in their own cars, with skills instructors, techniques on avoiding collisions. Approximately 1 1/2 hours of classroom instruction on driver awareness and car control will be included. Sunday will be focused on Autocross skills and techniques ranges from the very basic to more advanced. Students will drive their own cars through exercises to teach them car control (i.e. skid pad, slalom).

Both Saturday and Sunday afternoons will feature conventional autocross events. These events are timed competition designed to put your driving skills to work. We generally see between 6-8 runs for each driver. The speeds are fairly low but it does feel fast as the course is generally very tight. At the finish line we always see adrenaline induced big smiles. Neither of these Autocross events will count towards the 2009 championship points.

For those who enjoy HPDE events, Saturday will consist of open lapping sessions in both the morning and afternoon (no Novice Drivers or instructors), followed by a competitive Track Time Trial. Saturday will also hold our annual HPDE instructors clinic. Sunday will feature a fully instructed HPDE that will include the opportunity for Novice drivers to gain some track experience under the guidance of our instructors.

More information regarding this event can be found on our website (www.oregonpca.org) and http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...F329F5A1DE6E5E. Registration will be open thru Feb 18, 2009. The cost is variable, provided by a menu of the various event selections so you can choose when and what you want to do.

If you have any more questions, please contact the appropriate person below:

ORPCA HPDE Chair
Don Clinkinbeard
dechair@oregonpca.org
503-970-4848

ORPCA Autocross Chair
Gary Chapman
drchapman@chapmansmiles.com

For registration questions or assistance:
Event Registrar
Britain Smith
britain@britainsmith.com
Old 02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

what day has the most turnout?
Paddock area?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't know, this is a new event to kickoff the season. The paddock is the parking area where all the cars will be between runs on the track (ie pits). With all of the different events going on, I'm not sure how it will be setup.

Just go out & wander around, you'll enjoy yourself.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:14 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

So the event will run Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and monday? Or friday and monday?
I dont see a time when it starts either.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Take some pics & let us know how it was!

I'm heading down on 3/22 for a Audi track DE day.

Quick Reply: Who is going to Portland International Raceway this weekend?