Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Are the dealers required to us PCNA for parts supplies?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the dealers required to us PCNA for parts supplies?

Here is the story...or another look at high parts prices:

Yesterday I went into the local dealer to buy a couple of crush washers and o-rings for the upcoming oil change (first for me...woo hoo got me a lift!). I checked my favorite supplier, Autohaus AZ, and the crush washer was $0.18 and the o-ring was $0.35. I figured even if the dealer was more it would be less than the $8.50 shipping. I got the crush washer for $1.67 but the farking o-ring was $10.xx. Each...as in a .40 ID o-ring. I was flabergasted to say the least.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand that it costs a lot of money to stock and handle parts through muliple distribution levels but holy crap! List price on the Autohous AZ site was $7.45 or something. It looks like what Autohaus AZ does is they go to the Porsche suppliers for this type of part and buy it directly. Can the dealership do this through it's distribution? They must have other distribution as they will do tires for the elete that bring their new cars in and fluids and shop supplies. Maybe they do and then charge list for the little o-ring.

So besides parts prices going up for two generation back cars as per industry standard practice, Porsche has one hell of an inefficient parts system. I only used the dealer as it seemed silly to pay $8.50 shipping for $3 worth of parts. What a suprise!

Ok here is another rant....Autohuas AZ does not have a USPS non insured/non trackable option for shipping little parts like I just ordered. I can see their side to avoid the pissing match if the little yellow envelope with $3 worth of little washers didn't arrive. Oh well...

Lessons learned:

Washers and o-rings do not come with the filter like BMW and MB filters kits include.

Read the DIY from p-car and Mikes pcarworkshop and note the extra goodies and order them up so the little parts come along for the ride.

In the grand scheme of things the $10 o-ring is not that big of a deal but it was enough difference to make me think of the alternative with Autohuas AZ.

OK....rant(s) off!

Cheers!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to order some parts from Autohaus and pick-up when in town and save shipping, brokerage,etc. However, they have no pick-up service so I bought parts elsewhere. I ended up buying a bunch of seal rings so I don't have to go through the same hassle next time. Today I bought some small plastic clips from the dealer for my suspension upgrade because it is just plain cheaper than buying them elsewhere and paying for shipping. OEMs, auto or industrial, tend to have huge parts mark-ups especially on small items. I have worked for a few of them. Perhaps this is because it is a hassle to run around and people will pay the higher prices for one stop shopping.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The .28 cent crush washers for my BMW e36 M3 power steering hose were $3.00 each at the local dealer..... frickin' highway robbery.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Something I posted a few days ago on the Sunset v. Pelican thread:

OK, a little history on parts importers. Worldpac (formerly Worldwide Trading) of Hayward CA was started by (I think) 3 German guys who started direct importing Mercedes and VW parts about 40 years ago. (Memory can get fuzzy here, anyone feel free to correct me.) EVERYONE started buying from them, dealers included. And those dealers were freely installing those parts on customer cars. Probably nothing has changed on that end.

At some point Worldwide started setting up satellite warehouses around the country. Autohaus AZ is/was one of them. No idea who owns it now, but in the mid '80's Gunther was still in charge, and they were a stocking Worldwide warehouse. Pretty much had everything the mothership in Hayward had. Twice a day delivery to my shop, excellent prices. Delivery drivers were stopping by the dealers to drop off parts, too.

Then SSF came along, Hans Kopecky (?). Not sure when they started, but I always felt they were stronger in Porsche. I don't buy wholesale anymore as I don't have a shop, but I still know some of the guys there.

Price? Well, do your research and buy from who you feel most comfortable. Origin? As some have observed, lots of things NOT bought from the dealer still come from Porsche. Hans' old girlfriend, Liz.......can't remember her name now.........was a broker. You would not believe how cheap some of the stuff actually is.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ken,

Your post from the Sunset vs Pelican is what inspired this post about the dealer and the sources.

Cheers!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bruce,
Yes, I expect that 98% of all dealer franchise agreements stipulate that their dealer can only sell OEM parts.

Sorry to say, but I think you got ripped off. Sunset, just "down the road" from you, has a "List" of $7.67 for the 999-701-269-40 o-ring. "My price" was $4.59. But even that still steams me, so I set about on an alternative.

I pulled out my trusty micometer. After replacing its dead battery at Harbor Freight, (on sale, $3.50 for an assortment of 20?) I pulled these measurements off my o-ring:
Width: 2.48 mm, OD: 15.74 mm, ID 11.19 mm.

Then I went to McMaster Carr and found P/N 9263K234: http://www.mcmaster.com/#9263k234/=pds9p
Dimensions seem very close to mine. 10 for $5.31. Seems like your local stealer has almost a 1900% markup? I think I may order some and let you guys know how it works out. Or a group buy. Or buy 2 packs and pass them out to your local RLers...

BTW- I paid 46 cents for the aluminum seals 900-123-118-30. Probably cheap enough not to mess with.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Chuck,

I didn't get ripped off as I didn't buy them from Barrier. They were 35 cents from Autohaus AZ.

When you source the o-rings, make sure you get the right material. Buna-n Nitrile Viton...etc.

Cheers!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Chuck, I think you mean
I expect that 98% of all dealer franchise agreements stipulate that their dealer can only sell OE parts.
Bosch is an OE (original equipment) supplier but also sells OEM (Original Equipment Mfgr.). OE will most likely be higher than OEM if for no other reason that now the auto mfgr. (Porsche in this case) will want to make a profit on handling the part. See Wayne from Pelican's definition for more on the difference.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce SEA 993
When you source the o-rings, make sure you get the right material. Buna-n Nitrile Viton...etc.
I noticed that as well. This Viton material seems to have their best specs- oil and chemical resistance and a temp rating up to 400 degrees! I wonder how hot these engines actually run?

And Bill, you're right. I sure meant OE, white box Porsche stuff.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Plenty of stuff from the aftermarket warehouses comes in OE boxes, too. That's not to say the dealer can buy that part cheaper than through the official distribution network. Basically, for us in the trade, it was a way to get an extra 10+% off from what the dealer would charge us with whatever wholesale discount was available. And in Phoenix, the two dealers at the time (1985-88) charged 10-15% OVER list. When I moved back here the Oakland dealer charged list.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are the dealers required to us PCNA for parts supplies?