5 stages of auto sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:33 PM
CDILL
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=geordie;6287850]
Originally Posted by CDILL
Congrats! I am happy for anyone who can get a great deal on a car. I am not saying that $35-$40k is what you will have to pay for a 993 but, for example if you were to do a nation wide search on autotrader.com the average price is $36,173 (as of 2-15-09 @10:53 Mountain time).

These are asking prices & do not indicate selling prices.

As many people have stated if you have one of these cars and are not in a hurry to sell you should not have a problem selling it for a good price.[/QUOTE]

Really ? Last time I checked, the Dow was at 7850, credit is very difficult to come by, unemployment is up & there is little likelihood of any positive economic news in the next two quarters. It is now possible to buy a '05 997 with less than 50k for under $40k.

I think you might want to recalibrate your 993 value expectations.

You are absoutly right about the Dow, and credit, unemployment and on and on and on. Most people that buy these cars do not have a 300 credit score, with no money in the bank, and are taking a loan out for the full amount of the car. I am almost positive that if someone is serous in buying a Porsche and actually has the means they will have no problem getting a loan. On the other hand I would love to meet to rocket scientist who is tradeing in their 993 to a dealer for mid to low teens right now. The person that is doing this probably dosn't really care because they are driving away in their new 09' 997 that they most likely wrote a check for. I can't even believe that anyone on this board would compare a 993 to any Porsche that has water pumping through its engine. Are you kidding me? The fact that we own the last of the air cooled cars is what actually makes our cars worth owning. And please if there is anyone on this board that is selling a good exaple of one of these cars with low miles for under $15k PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me be the first in line to buy it

Old 02-15-2009, 08:37 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

[QUOTE=CDILL;6288925]
Originally Posted by geordie

You are absoutly right about the Dow, and credit, unemployment and on and on and on. Most people that buy these cars do not have a 300 credit score, with no money in the bank, and are taking a loan out for the full amount of the car. I am almost positive that if someone is serous in buying a Porsche and actually has the means they will have no problem getting a loan. On the other hand I would love to meet to rocket scientist who is tradeing in their 993 to a dealer for mid to low teens right now. The person that is doing this probably dosn't really care because they are driving away in their new 09' 997 that they most likely wrote a check for. I can't even believe that anyone on this board would compare a 993 to any Porsche that has water pumping through its engine. Are you kidding me? The fact that we own the last of the air cooled cars is what actually makes our cars worth owning. And please if there is anyone on this board that is selling a good exaple of one of these cars with low miles for under $15k PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me be the first in line to buy it

There's an 88 cab with 98k miles in my backyard with an asking price of 12k, which means you could get it for 10k...
Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 PM
CDILL
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=TRINITONY;6288939]
Originally Posted by CDILL

There's an 88 cab with 98k miles in my backyard with an asking price of 12k, which means you could get it for 10k...
We are talking about 993's right?

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but it sounds like your asking price on the G50 cab is $10k do you want to PM me some Pics I may know someone who is interested in the car.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:08 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I appreciate all the wisdom in this thread about how to and how not to sell a car and the expectations one might have in doing so. When and if I have to sell my car this spring/summer (if my job turns to shi* like it looks like it will, I'll reluctantly try to sell it) my ad will read something like this:

96 C4S, $40k, tons of miles (84k), has rock chips on the front and some road rash on the wheels, CEL has been on for 2 years so it needs to have that fixed (SAI issue). No current pics but heh, it's polar silver with black interior - seen one, seen em' all. The driver's bolster needs to be redyed to make it nicer looking. The mats are needing replacing as they show wear. It rides kind of rough after recent suspension upgrade - will probably leave your teeth chattering if you're not used to driving a Porsche. I don't really have time to show it but if you really want it, you just have to have it, then I guess we can make some sort of arrangement for you to see it. Don't jerk my chain, don't kick it's tires - just basically, take it or leave it. Feel free to leave it. Please don't ask me for to have a PPI done on it. Just talk to my current mechanic. He'll explain all the stuff it needs or doesn't need. In fact, no worries if you don't want it. It's a potential money pit - why would you? If I end up having to keep it because none of you want it, they that's my problem. My wife will be pissed that I didn't sell it, but it's not like I didn't try. I mean, I ran this ad, and tried to field a few calls. Yeah, it's a bit over priced, but dang, I'm not giving this thing away. Call Steve but only from 830am-9am. I am too busy to answer calls about it any other time. 301-555-5555. PS - Please don't ask me to email you 30+ pics. Like I said, silver w/black. It's in my avatar - that should satigsfy that request.
Your obviously joking.

I read it as your not serious about selling the car, its over priced, your wife is pissed, and its a money pit with a check engine light on. If I were buying, I would want to speak to your wife and convince her you should dump it for $35k because if you dont, you will spend another $5k on brakes and fixing that CEL.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:19 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

[QUOTE=CDILL;6288993]
Originally Posted by TRINITONY

We are talking about 993's right?

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but it sounds like your asking price on the G50 cab is $10k do you want to PM me some Pics I may know someone who is interested in the car.
u did say aircooled....lol..anyways there's a 993 convert too for low 20's..

and sent u a PM...
Old 02-16-2009, 01:26 AM
geordie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/QUOTE]

I think you may have missed the point. Simply put, it is impossible to ignore the ramifications of the current economic climate, and the value of 993's are declining faster than we have gotten used to. While the 993 has enjoyed a "blue chip" status of sorts, like the blue chips on the big board, they are down.

As for your comment regarding credit, many of these cars were purchased with financing of some sort. If it's not readily available, that will have an impact too.

I am unclear about your comment ".... if someone is serious in buying a Porsche and actually has the means they will have no problem getting a loan".

You might want to consider the somewhat insensitive nature of some of your comments. You make a rather crass assumption that everyone who currently owns a 993 is insulated from the current economic predicament. I have noticed a number of entries, quite recently, on this & other boards, by 911/964/993 (et al) owners who find themselves in real financial distress due to unemployment & need to sell their beloved car to stave off foreclosure etc.

I think the 997 & 993 are both outstanding cars; the former is depreciating quite quickly & the "gap" between excellent examples of both has narrowed considerably, during the last 6 months. This, I believe, will put further pressure on 993 values.

Oh, and for the record, I am a long term (30+ years) ardent fan of all air cooled Porsche's. I recently had the opportunity to drive a 997 & it was superb.

Bon chance.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Smoke
Advanced

I can't even believe that anyone on this board would compare a 993 to any Porsche that has water pumping through its engine. Are you kidding me? The fact that we own the last of the air cooled cars is what actually makes our cars worth owning.
Given the decline in 997 prices, is this still valid? Though water cooled, I imagine the early 997 are a very attractive buy at this time.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have been looking to buy a 993........such beautiful cars.....because they are the most recent version of the car I have wanted since I was young. I have seen prices all over the place, depending on condition and how the current owner sees the market. But I have to say that I have seen 997s ( 2007, 2008) in top condition going for $55,000 to $75,000 with less than 1,000 miles up to 10,000 miles. Now, I understand the difference in the water vs. air cooled cars but with some 993s I have seen at with 40,000to 90,000 miles ( or more) at $35,000 to $45,000.........I have to think about this. I actually saw a 2002 996 turbo in top condition with less than 15,000 miles for less than $60,000...... talk about bang for the buck. Market situations change and even collectibles are subject to whether or not some want to or can buy it......just like stocks, homes, art, baseball cards, comic books, etc., etc.

I still prefer to find a great 993, but I also must consider the best investment for my limited resources.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:04 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Market situations change and even collectibles are subject to whether or not some want to or can buy it......just like stocks, homes, art, baseball cards, comic books, etc., etc.
:
Don't leave out rare Porsche books. Holy moly!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...sQ5fLiterature
Old 02-22-2009, 07:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I have been looking to buy a 993........such beautiful cars.....because they are the most recent version of the car I have wanted since I was young. I have seen prices all over the place, depending on condition and how the current owner sees the market. But I have to say that I have seen 997s ( 2007, 2008) in top condition going for $55,000 to $75,000 with less than 1,000 miles up to 10,000 miles. Now, I understand the difference in the water vs. air cooled cars but with some 993s I have seen at with 40,000to 90,000 miles ( or more) at $35,000 to $45,000.........I have to think about this. I actually saw a 2002 996 turbo in top condition with less than 15,000 miles for less than $60,000...... talk about bang for the buck. Market situations change and even collectibles are subject to whether or not some want to or can buy it......just like stocks, homes, art, baseball cards, comic books, etc., etc.

I still prefer to find a great 993, but I also must consider the best investment for my limited resources.
It is not an investment. Once you view it for what it is - a car that exists to be driven, you'll simply buy whatever your heart desires and you best respond to. Which is different for everyone.

Whatever you decide to buy, you'll get a whole lot more car for the same money vs. last summer or a couple of years ago.

Quick Reply: 5 stages of auto sales