Sponsored by:

5 stages of auto sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:06 AM
RutgersU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 stages of auto sales

1-Denial-My car is unique and not like every other Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari that is for sale and is worth every penny of asking price. Mods are NOT included at that price. It's a steal as is.

2-Anger- G!d damn low balling sacks of ****. Every offer I get is $5k under my asking price. They think they can steal it from me. Well, I'll just keep it and enjoy it. (enter smiley face here)

3-Bargaining-OK guys, last chance before I put it on ebay and all the other sale sites. I'll even throw in the mods for the same price.

4-Depression-I cant believe how little our cars are worth now. I never thought I'd see the day. I've put my soul into this car.

5-Acceptance-New price!!!! {Typically about $5k lower than the offers received in stage 2 (whoops) Sadly, still over market but he's getting there.}
Old 02-14-2009, 10:50 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 433 Posts

Having trouble selling your car, eh?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RutgersU
1-Denial-My car is unique and not like every other Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari that is for sale and is worth every penny of asking price.
In a few instances....a car really is unique. Just a short while of looking at cars and you can quickly see that different people have very different views on "mint/excellent/show-room/perfect". However, the condition of the car has much less to do with the selling price than does the time frame in which it must be sold. If you actually DO have a unique car, you have to WAIT for the right buyer. People who are willing to pay the premium for a unique car are far and few between...but they ARE out there. Contrary to popular belief...not everybody is without money right now.

Having said all that...I would tend to agree that in most cases, your statements above are about right.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:06 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 255 Posts
Default Tips on selling....taken from another board..

If you really do want a successful transaction, here are a few guidelines that may help you out:

1) Pictures - No serious buyer will make an offer without pictures, especially if the distance is too great for a personal inspection. The first question you will receive in your thread will be for pictures. Why waste time? Beg, borrow, or steal a decent camera and post them. It's free. You do not need to post 30 shots of the car, just enough to show the front, back, sides, and interior. If a long-distance buyer needs to see those 30 shots, they can ask offline.

2) Prices - It is unfortunate for the seller in these times, but the fact is that used car values are depreciating like never before. The average buyer on this forum probably watches auction values very closely, so asking what you think it is worth without checking actual sales figures is a waste of everyone's time.

But my car is a single owner and I have all of the service records - A valid point and may be worth a slight premium. Your mileage may vary.

But I have expensive mods - Sorry, that may be worth some premium, but most buyers don't care (or don't even consider that a bonus). Performance mods may recapture some value (but never all of it). Cosmetic mods may be positive or negative (those sick black rims may be great for you, and horribly ugly for the next guy)

No asking price, but looking for offers - The worst way to sell a car. You will only attract what you feel are lowballs. You are fishing for a misinformed buyer, and you will not find many of those here. You will only attract ridicule and silence.

3) Carfax - Buy one and offer it. Although Carfaxes are not the be all to end all, most buyers will want to see it. Why not make it easier?

These are very basic points, but there are too many ads that fail to meet basic standards.

and...

Anyways here are some pointers on selling the car...
1)-Owners..The more the less attractive the car
2)-Miles....The less the more attractive the car
3)-Condition...Any accidents/blemishes
4)-Service records...
5)-Picts
6)-Carfax report
7)-The car forums are the worst places of all to sell the car...For a serious sellers,autotrader and cars.com is the place to advertise...

if you are going to sell your car - there is only one rule that i think is important - set your expectations correctly and price your car right. time is money. literally.

if your car is worth 50k and you price at 65k nobody will buy it. you will endure many offers that you will consider "lowballs" and you will go through a lot of anxiety all the while the price of your car will be dropping every week/month.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:22 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Disagree. First stage is almost always a "feeler" where someone is hoping for a PM saying a member will buy it (before someone else does). Of course this never happens. By the way, see my "feeler" on page two.

1-Denial-My car is unique and not like every other Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari that is for sale and is worth every penny of asking price. Mods are NOT included at that price. It's a steal as is.

2-Anger- G!d damn low balling sacks of ****. Every offer I get is $5k under my asking price. They think they can steal it from me. Well, I'll just keep it and enjoy it. (enter smiley face here)

3-Bargaining-OK guys, last chance before I put it on ebay and all the other sale sites. I'll even throw in the mods for the same price.

4-Depression-I cant believe how little our cars are worth now. I never thought I'd see the day. I've put my soul into this car.

5-Acceptance-New price!!!! {Typically about $5k lower than the offers received in stage 2 (whoops) Sadly, still over market but he's getting there.}
Old 02-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

4 - I wish I had the money for another 993 right now to start my Speedster project
Old 02-14-2009, 11:33 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You must be selling a 944.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 AM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Having trouble selling your car, eh?

I'm neither buying nor selling. Just trying to help sellers identify and confront their demons. Unfortunately they have enablers that prolong the agony with ignorant but seemingly well intentioned(?) "wow, it wont last long at that price" posts.

I shoulda been a freakin' psychiatrist.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:02 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm neither buying nor selling. Just trying to help sellers identify and confront their demons. Unfortunately they have enablers that prolong the agony with ignorant but seemingly well intentioned(?) "wow, it wont last long at that price" posts.

I shoulda been a freakin' psychiatrist.
By the "RutgersU" screen name I figured that your name possessed some type of medical prefix.... Not so much.....
Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never went that deep when buying or selling a car.

Im more **** with my travel and just finished up booking a 9 day trip to Europe late May, early June--Paris, Amsterdam, and then finishiing it off by being a wedding in Venice.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
If you really do want a successful transaction, here are a few guidelines that may help you out:

1) Pictures - No serious buyer will make an offer without pictures, especially if the distance is too great for a personal inspection. The first question you will receive in your thread will be for pictures. Why waste time? Beg, borrow, or steal a decent camera and post them. It's free. You do not need to post 30 shots of the car, just enough to show the front, back, sides, and interior. If a long-distance buyer needs to see those 30 shots, they can ask offline.
I agree. I've never understood the ads that say "email for pics". Why not just post them???
Old 02-14-2009, 01:12 PM
CDILL
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 11 Posts

I keep reading all of these threads about how our cars are rapidly loosing value due to the suffering economy. I must say I am rarely presented with an example of this. Looking through the classifieds 993asking prices are still $35k-$40k for a car with reasonable miles, records, and in "good" condition. That is what I payed for my car 2 years ago. With that being said there is currently a 125,000 or so mile C2 in the classifieds for $25k. Not that this is a bad car but you get what you pay for. I am constantly toying with the idea of putting off finishing my basment, selling my 993 and buying a 993TT but, of course these cars still bring a premium for a nice example. If you are selling a "used" 993 that has had or needs paint work, has high milage, no records, the interior is trashed, and is your typical car entering its teens then I would expect to take a bath on the price. If you are selling a nice car hang in there tell the tire kickers and theives to pound sand! There is always someone looking and you should be able to sell your car no problems.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:27 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 433 Posts

The psychology of sales....

Most people want what they can't have or they want a killer deal, simple as that.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:24 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CDILL
Looking through the classifieds 993asking prices are still $35k-$40k for a car with reasonable miles, records, and in "good" condition.
I've emphasized the key word for you there.

That is what I payed for my car 2 years ago.

If you are selling a nice car hang in there tell the tire kickers and theives to pound sand! There is always someone looking and you should be able to sell your car no problems.

It is difficult to comment other than to say that a person with enough money to purchase a 993 should have a slightly better understanding of market forces and how market works in general.

PS. I'm a thief (sp.), apparently. I bought my 995 5+ years ago for $17K. John D. is another thief, having bought his for $18K at the same time. But you are obviously morally superior to us in every respect, since you paid twice as much for yours. Sheesh.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:29 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13

It is difficult to comment other than to say that a person with enough money to purchase a 993 should have a slightly better understanding of market forces and how market works in general.

PS. I'm a thief (sp.), apparently. I bought my 995 5+ years ago for $17K. John D. is another thief, having bought his for $18K at the same time. But you are obviously morally superior to us in every respect, since you paid twice as much for yours. Sheesh.

Quick Reply: 5 stages of auto sales