5 stages of auto sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:32 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 561 Likes on 379 Posts

It's marketing 101...

1) Target the right audience.
2) The message/details for that audience (Specs, pics, etc)
3) The "offer" - Why should they have more interest in what you're selling than what they can find elsewhere
4) Remove barriers to purchase - No gymnastics required by the buyer. Accommodate the PPI easily, etc.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:44 PM
got*ki
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RutgersU
1-Denial-My car is unique and not like every other Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari that is for sale and is worth every penny of asking price. Mods are NOT included at that price. It's a steal as is.

2-Anger- G!d damn low balling sacks of ****. Every offer I get is $5k under my asking price. They think they can steal it from me. Well, I'll just keep it and enjoy it. (enter smiley face here)

3-Bargaining-OK guys, last chance before I put it on ebay and all the other sale sites. I'll even throw in the mods for the same price.

4-Depression-I cant believe how little our cars are worth now. I never thought I'd see the day. I've put my soul into this car.

5-Acceptance-New price!!!! {Typically about $5k lower than the offers received in stage 2 (whoops) Sadly, still over market but he's getting there.}
Back on track to the original posting...which I think was intended to inject some observationist humor (ala Jerry Seinfeld) into the picture..It brought a chuckle to the start of my morning...Thanks!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:11 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I've come up with a theory 14 years ago, while buying our first house, that there are three stages to purchasing real estate. Excitement, Depression, Resignation. You are first excited about what you can find out there, then get depressed by what's actually out there, then resign completely and buy something that represent market and your now seriously reduced expectations.

I'm at the beginning stage of yet another Resignation, having to buy a condo in Boston now. So the original poster's summation is pretty near and dear to my own experiences as both buyer and seller.

And, oh, I sell stuff (software) for a living. Software that costs slightly more than a 993 and is also a semi-commodity, just like used 993s, so people can actually compare it to other software out there and make a decision on how much to pay (range is easily 10X between cheaper and more expensive examples). I think if I called my potential customers thieves and tire kickers, I would certainly not be able to keep a 993.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:14 PM
james944
Instructor

5-Acceptance-New price!!!! {Typically about $5k lower than the offers received in stage 2 (whoops) Sadly, still over market but he's getting there.}
Originally Posted by 993James993
You must be selling a 944.
Tough for 944 values to drop by $5k.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...a person with enough money to buy a 993 should have a slightly better understanding...Nile
The process of coming to some understanding of the 993 market was an interesting exercise for me, last year, and the information I got from this site was really helpful. I know some Rennlisters enjoy the hunt and purchase, but for me the process generated some low grade anxiety, mostly due to the far off locations of most cars.

I shoulda been a freakin' psychiatrist...RutgersU
Good original post.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly, a great observation form the OP! It seems a lot of folks these days are skipping from #1 directly to #5.

I would add one thing to #1: "I am NOT desperate to sell! If I don't get what I am asking, I'll just keep it."
Old 02-14-2009, 05:38 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Im more **** with my travel and just finished up booking a 9 day trip to Europe late May, early June--Paris, Amsterdam, and then finishiing it off by being a wedding in Venice.

And the colored girls go, doo doo-doo, doo-doo, doo doo doo
Old 02-14-2009, 07:31 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Might be worthwhile to examine those five stages from the point of view of an unmotivated seller.

So many of the market/buying threads recently have had a lot of the "are you nuts, look around, the economy's tanking, now sell me your 993 cheap" attitude. That attitude works well I guess, when you're dealing with a must sell to keep my house sort of situation (like that fellow on Pelican a few months ago).

It also might work OK if the seller has a dozen cars, 8 figures in assets and a bored, "maybe I'll sell one of the Porsches and add an Aston" sort of attitude. That's what it's worth? So be it.

But for the vast middle class of 993 owners, the tone and nuance of buying and selling these cars is somewhat different. It's always been very focused on finding the "right" one. And what do you do when you find the right one, but the seller won't take your lowball offer? Complain that sellers are irrational and out-of-touch with the market of course.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And the colored girls go, doo doo-doo, doo-doo, doo doo doo
Yea, I have taken a ride on the wild side in Amsterdam in years past. It will be my 4th trip to the Dam and going to have a pretty good trip lined up. Casa Rosa, Anne Frank's house (which I have yet to see) , a boat club venture, and a few other things. I would tip toe through the tulips but they will all dead by the time we arrive. And of course, visiting a few coffee shops along the way.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Might be worthwhile to examine those five stages from the point of view of an unmotivated seller.

So many of the market/buying threads recently have had a lot of the "are you nuts, look around, the economy's tanking, now sell me your 993 cheap" attitude. That attitude works well I guess, when you're dealing with a must sell to keep my house sort of situation (like that fellow on Pelican a few months ago).

It also might work OK if the seller has a dozen cars, 8 figures in assets and a bored, "maybe I'll sell one of the Porsches and add an Aston" sort of attitude. That's what it's worth? So be it.

But for the vast middle class of 993 owners, the tone and nuance of buying and selling these cars is somewhat different. It's always been very focused on finding the "right" one. And what do you do when you find the right one, but the seller won't take your lowball offer? Complain that sellers are irrational and out-of-touch with the market of course.
Very nicely stated. I think you'll find that many of these "bargain" 993s that have appeared lately are from sellers who must sell. They're also cars that "just need some TLC and a few $$$" to make them right. The result being that truly great, well cared for, properly serviced, all papers in order, NO BS cars are quickly glanced over as being too expensive. The thing is everything is a hard sell these days. It doesn't mean that a good car is only worth X dollars because there's lots of cheaper ones out there.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I see about 90% complaining from the sellers, 10% fom standers-by like myself and none from the buyers (to the tune of "oh, 993s are too expensive).

Other than that, if the seller doesn't wish to sell, now's as good time as any not to sell. I would not call them "sellers", though. "Owners", perhaps. Not "sellers".

In this market i'd be a buyer if I had any space for any more cars. Albeit I don't
Old 02-14-2009, 08:17 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
It doesn't mean that a good car is only worth X dollars because there's lots of cheaper ones out there.
It's worth what somebody would pay for it. There doesn't seem to be a line of people waiting to snap up anything nowadays, especially more expensive 993s.

If there are no buyers...

We can do a little survey here. Let's see how many people bought 993s and what they pay. Do they consider their cars clunkers? Has anyone who bought a "perfect" car for 50% over market value had not put more money into said car?

PS. I often question myself as to why I keep saying this. It is certainly to my advantage for the 993 values to go up through the roof. I also care very little about the world's fairness and other ephemeral concepts. it's just... so obvious that not saying it seems wrong.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:55 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Another thing to remember is that just about any "normal" Porsche is considerably cheaper these days. If the only reason a person is selling is to upgrade to a more expensive Porsche, a lower selling price really doesn't matter. The price difference between the two cars is more than likely smaller now than a year ago. Different story if you're selling just for the cash...........you'll lose. As I said before, everything is a tough sell these days, if you don't have to, don't do it.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:25 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CDILL
I keep reading all of these threads about how our cars are rapidly loosing value due to the suffering economy. I must say I am rarely presented with an example of this. Looking through the classifieds 993asking prices are still $35k-$40k for a car with reasonable miles, records, and in "good" condition. That is what I payed for my car 2 years ago. With that being said there is currently a 125,000 or so mile C2 in the classifieds for $25k. Not that this is a bad car but you get what you pay for. I am constantly toying with the idea of putting off finishing my basment, selling my 993 and buying a 993TT but, of course these cars still bring a premium for a nice example. If you are selling a "used" 993 that has had or needs paint work, has high milage, no records, the interior is trashed, and is your typical car entering its teens then I would expect to take a bath on the price. If you are selling a nice car hang in there tell the tire kickers and theives to pound sand! There is always someone looking and you should be able to sell your car no problems.
Spoken by someone not in touch with the current realities of the market ... major Denial
BTW, spell check is your friend ...
Old 02-14-2009, 09:46 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's worth what somebody would pay for it.
That's half right.

If there are no buyers...
Then there's no market.

Really, until a buyer AND a seller get together and agree, there's nothing happening. Mostly, that's what's going on--or not going on to be accurate--right now.

And what happens when a buyer goes deal hunting? John D and nile13 did pretty well. But einreb92's recent threads point out that the 993s a weak economy brings out may not all be such great deals.

As I've posted before--still waiting for the posts from new owners who picked up their 993 from Holt's or Schmidt or Truspeed for mid-$20s.

Quick Reply: 5 stages of auto sales