Sponsored by:

KW Variant 3 impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:53 AM
icelatte
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KW Variant 3 impressions

Gave some feedback on the set up I just installed on the 964 board so I thought I'd post them here for you guys as well.

Originally Posted by icelatte
Viggo,

I'm installing a set right now on my 993. Bump and rebound adjustment on the fronts are easy, the rears a little trickier, especially the bump adjusters on top of the struts in the engine bay.

I'm still playing with ride height. They recommend a range of adjustment for proper damper range of movement, but if you stay with their recs, you won't be able to get the rears as low as RS. Interestingly, you can slam the fronts in their recommended range, and I'm trying to raise them enough to match the rears.

Ride height adjustment is comically easy with just one lock ring that has a little allen bolt lock pin on it. What I really like is that the rear endlink mount is part of the strut, like the stock unit so you don't have to worry about it rotating like on the PSS9/10/ bilstein HDs.

I've called KW a couple of times and got someone on the phone right away. They try to be helpful but it doesn't sound like anyone there has seen the setup on a 993 yet.

I'll have it on the road in the next couple of weeks.

Chak
Originally Posted by icelatte
My mother is in town so the only impression has been taking her for rides to lunch but she does get a kick out of the car.

Still need an alignment and corner balance and I also installed Chris Walrods polyurethane front control arm bushings at the same time.

Slow bumps are more supple than the H&R street coilover setup I had before, but high speed bumps feel about the same. I'm using the stock rubber top mounts. I didn't realize how bad my bump steer and tramlining was before, but the fix is probably due more to raising my front ride height and the new bushings. I have the bump and rebound settings at the recommended settings which are on the soft side.

I won't hit the track until April and I'll play with the settings more.

I have the fronts at RS+5mm which takes me to the TOP of their suggested hieght range, and the rears are at RS+10 which is the BOTTOM of their suggested height range.

I called KW in Cali a couple times during install and they try to be helful but there's just a lack of real world experience with these on this side of the pond. I'm trolling the UK boards for some more data.

So far:

Pros:
Install straight forward, the front brake line mount is already just a fork to slide the brake line in so no dremeling of mounts or disconnecting brake lines.
Rear sway bar mount is welded as part of the body so no rotating collars.
Ride height adjustment is a breeze with a single collar and a small lock pin.
Camber bolts make adjustment easier than Porsche stock.
Nice ride over slow bumps.

Cons:
Bump and rebound adjustment may not be so easy when I need to do them at the track but I'll withhold final judgement.
Questionable ride height settings in their instructions and their ranges don't match up to proper matching front-rear heights.
Easy to get someone on the phone but lacking actual experience here (at least with 993s).
Attached Images   
Old 02-11-2009, 03:19 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write-up Chak . Strange re the ride height settings.. On the positive side is camber adjustability etc as you mentioned. Now you've really got me thinking.. I was conviced I would pick these over the Pss10's, but I'm not so sure anymore. I've not heard ANY negative feedback on the Pss10's and judging from the pictures, I think they allow for lower ride height and tweaking with the settings +/-..

Quick Reply: KW Variant 3 impressions