Good speakers for front doors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Good speakers for front doors?

I will be installing the new door panels into my cab. Since the panels are on my floor right now, I've decided to sort out the speakers at the same time. The doors are Hi-Fi variety.

I'm thinking of installing separates with 5.25" driver going into the Hi-Fi plastic enclosure and tweeter going into the angled OEM tweeter pod. Good idea? Bad idea? Ditch the plastic enclosure?

The speakers... I have a set of a/d/s AL6 that I like. unfortunately one of the tweeters bit the dust. So I'm thinking of using the midrange 5.25"s with a/d/s crossovers in the doors and getting separate tweeters. Any recommendation on something that would not sound too bright and fit into the angled OEM tweeter door top enclosure and match a/d/s midrange?

I am offered a set of Focal 130A separates as well. Anyone with comments on their sound? Anyone with other recommendations, especially something decent from MB Quart line? KEF? Anything else? I'm not looking to spend too much, otherwise I'd simply buy DynAudio 340.

The system will be driven by a Soundstream amp and as yet undetermined head unit (recommendation on something that matches stock dash illumination are welcome).

If anyone has something for sale, please do let me know as well.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:17 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the new Hybrid Audio tweeter http://www.hybrid-audio.com/news.htm

Or go to diymobileaudio, I bet you could find some used ads tweeters there.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/classifieds/

-dto
Old 02-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Sound is much about personal preferance. Having said that, I really like the Oz Audio Matrix Elite components that I have, very natural sounding with rich deep bass, tight not sloppy.
Unfortunately Oz Audio went out of business.

In the past Ihave had Boston Acoustics speakers that were very good as well.

Focals are very nice, but are also very pricey. for the $$ I like the sound of Hertz speakers, but they are hard to find, although Rod Birch should carry them, and I am sure he can ship them.

As long as you stick to a quality speaker, they should be durable. Others worth mentioning are MB Quart, Dynaudio.

If you do not like really bright highs, avoid the Japanese speakers, they tend to be a bit harsh for my tastes.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:17 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I do not like japanese speakers. I'm not even a fan of a number of US speakers. My personal taste is for a pretty dry and laid back English sound (home speakers are KEFs).

MB Quarts - I like their older speakers and I still have a pair of coaxials. But they've changed a lot lately. I'm hearing that only one or two of their lines are still decent, the rest are to be avoided. So, which ones are these?

Also, this is a 993 cab, so stereo sound is fairly secondary to me. But might as well put a decent mid-quality set in.

I have not heard of Hybrid Audio, nor Hertz. Any details on ow they would compare to others?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

What about Boston Acoustics? I've always liked their sound, but they might not be boutiquish (sp) enough for you.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

I believe Electromedia is the parent company for both Audison and Hertz. Both are Italian companies. The lower end Audison amps are outsourced and made in China, The higher end stuff may still be made in Italy, I am not sure. Like most companies, Hertz has several lines of speakers. I thought their High Energy Line stuff sounded very good. The high end line, Mille, is on par with Focal price wise.

If you search the archives, someone here put a set of Hertz components in their 993 and included lots of photos, you can probably get an update on how they have stood up since then.

Personally, I am a fan of the Canadian brand speakers for the home, where I use Paradigm and Energy systems.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:37 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark, I currently have a pair of BA tweeters, but they are a bit too large for this application. I do like some of their speakers, although some of their tweets are fairly bright for me. Their midranges sound pretty good (god, I don't believe any of it will really be evident or relevant in a cab anyway ). I don't really care about boutiqueness either

Kika, I like Canadian speakers quite a lot and I've recommended PSbs and Paradigms to a number of friends. They sound a bit warmer and livelier than KEFs, but there's something in old KEF's sound that draws me in.

On the Oz Audio - are these OK: http://cgi.ebay.com/OZ-AUDIO-5-25-2-...QQcmdZViewItem ?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nile13
Mark, I currently have a pair of BA tweeters, but they are a bit too large for this application. I do like some of their speakers, although some of their tweets are fairly bright for me. Their midranges sound pretty good (god, I don't believe any of it will really be evident or relevant in a cab anyway ). I don't really care about boutiqueness either

Kika, I like Canadian speakers quite a lot and I've recommended PSbs and Paradigms to a number of friends. They sound a bit warmer and livelier than KEFs, but there's something in old KEF's sound that draws me in.

On the Oz Audio - are these OK: http://cgi.ebay.com/OZ-AUDIO-5-25-2-...QQcmdZViewItem ?

Those are the Vector series Oz Audio speakers, which is not their high end line. I have the Vector 4x6 coax's in my rear deck, but that is just for fill, most of the sound comes from the front where the Oz Audio Matrix Elite's are, powered by a Lunar 2125 amp.

They are OK, although I have not specifically heard those speakers myself. If you do run across a set of oz Audio Matrix Elite components, there are 2 different ones, the original ones with a huge squareish crossover and the newer ones with a smaller triangular crossover. The older ones are the better sounding of the two. (first and only speaker to ever receive a perfect sound quality score from IASCA)

I did a quick search on ebay and did not see any Matrix Elite components for sale, although someone is sellig a bunch of the newer crossovers, the triangular ones)

If I am not mistake, doesn't KEF also make car speakers? If you like their sound, that might be the way to go.

With Oz Audio out of business, the probelm I could have is if something went bad, I don't think I can get replacement parts anymore.

FWIW I recall listening to some Precision Power speakers at a shop and really like the sound, it was very warm sounding, I was quite surprised how much I liked them, as they weren't all that expensive. I used to have a PPI amp in my 911SC, and it CRANKED!

The JL Audio stuff is also pretty decent.

Good luck

you might check this website: I have no affiliation, but they seem to ahve an extensive catalog. http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/

They also show the Matrix Elite components (5.25" only) with the larger crossover on their site.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:43 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kika, thanks!

I'm just debating with myself what to do here. I don't really want to throw away the a/d/s 5.25s and crossovers as I like them a lot. By the same token, getting separate tweeters apears to be more expensive than getting another component set, especially if I find a decent used one. And i very much want to stuff teh tweets in the OEM pods, which limits me to tweets under 40mm in diameter.

The question on a head unit remains - what would look good with OEM lighting? Most units seem to have blue lights now, even Alpine went that way. Should I look for old amber color displays? Green? White? Anything specific?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Kika, thanks!

I'm just debating with myself what to do here. I don't really want to throw away the a/d/s 5.25s and crossovers as I like them a lot. By the same token, getting separate tweeters apears to be more expensive than getting another component set, especially if I find a decent used one. And i very much want to stuff teh tweets in the OEM pods, which limits me to tweets under 40mm in diameter.

The question on a head unit remains - what would look good with OEM lighting? Most units seem to have blue lights now, even Alpine went that way. Should I look for old amber color displays? Green? White? Anything specific?
I ditched the pods and had holes cut, if you get a good installer, it will look fine. I think the Hertz tweeters come with pods, which may take a little work, but you could make something work. a/d/s speakers at least used to be the bomb in the old days, i don't know if they have sold out, or gone overseas, like Rockford Fosgate, but if you like them, I would recommend keeping them.

Lots of RLers upgrade to the CDR-220 from a 996 as it retains the stock look, and lets you use the AUX input with an ipod, that is what I did.

Other than that, the Nakamichis are about the only other deck that looks reasonably stock IMHO.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kika, I like Canadian speakers quite a lot and I've recommended PSbs and Paradigms to a number of friends. They sound a bit warmer and livelier than KEFs, but there's something in old KEF's sound that draws me in...
I didn't even know we had a speaker mfg up here. You learn something new everyday.
...The speakers... I have a set of a/d/s AL6 that I like. unfortunately one of the tweeters bit the dust...
I have 10 year old A/D/S's in my doors with a PPI amp and a Pioneer deck. I'm no audio expert but it sounds just okay - thin - no bottom end and I'm not looking for thumping bass. I'm in the process of planning an upgrade too but I've come to the conclusion that subs are a must for good sound. I read most of the archived posts and see that the Rod Birch/Car Audio Innovations subs (w/8" JL's or Focals) seem popular as are the Focal 6.5" (165) door speakers. None of this will add up to be an inexpensive upgrade unless I do get really cheap and buy a powered sub to put on the back floor. Good luck with your project!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Rudolph
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very happy with my MTX Audio speakers and sub the p/o of my car had installed. MTX's current Thunder Axe Separates and High End Components have tweets that should fit in the oem pods. See www.mtx.com
Old 02-02-2009, 10:34 PM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

I will agree with Nile13, I had a pair of od kef 104's and the were great but then I heard Paradigms and strarted out with some 9se which became the Moniter series. Then I bought for my dean what the used to called Import Moniters, and finally Studio 100's wiith matching center channel and sub. Needless to say I think that the Paradiams have a rich full sound with clear highs but not bright, and tight deep bass. They just smooth. I have had in the past OHM's, Magnapan's, and KEF's but I like the Paradigm's better. Just MHO.

As far as your Cab's speakers check out CDT Audio. I have their 6.5" Gold Series seperates powered buy a Alpine 4.150 amp and they sound amazing. They have great mid bass and go a little lower but you will need a sub to get lower. Very nice cross overs to.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:50 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

I have a pair of 5.25" CDT Audios, tweeters, and crossovers sitting in my closet. PM me if you want 'em.

Re. head unit, I would go with a Nak Cd500.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 PM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

+1 on the Nakamichi CD500, it sounds great and looks right in our cars.

jdistefa what CDT's do you have, Don't like them?

Quick Reply: Good speakers for front doors?