993 Forum 1995-1998

Recaro Seat Re-dye??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recaro Seat Re-dye??

I purchased some nice Recaros from another Rennlister and will steam clean them, etc. There are some wear spots and I was wondering if anyone has re-dyed their seats and if so what did they use? I have this vision of me re-dying the seats and then getting out of my car after a DE on a hot day with black dye all over my pants and shirt. The seats do not need much, just around where the harnesses rub. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:36 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several here have done it. I think they mostly use Surflex. Click HERE for a link to a supplier. If you do a search and you will find more info.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motorcycle shops carry a product called Auburn Leather Restorer, designed for black leather jackets, saddlebags, etc.

Black is black so the color is good, and the gloss is a pretty good match for the Porsche seats. Use some conditioner afterwards and it will all look nice. Used it on my 911s with nice results. The dye soaks into the abraded spots.

Wish they made it in Classic Grey!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts

Funny that I just posted this link in another thread. Black is by far the easiest color to dye. I'm not getting any transfer off the seats on the sets I've done. I've also touched up the black seats in my M5. I haven't had a reason to do anything to the 993 seats yet. This thread is from the sports seats in my 911SC. There are several other photos mid-process and after a few years use later in the thread.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=204374
Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Are these cloth or leather?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-12-2009, 12:14 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm a big fan of Surflex. I redyed a entire couch / loveseat set - its held up great. Of course its not exposed to high heat like a car but Colorplus has amazing service, does custom blending of colors if you send them a small sample and it goes on easily. and order the smallest amount - it goes a long way. Lots of other RL's have used Surflex with good results.

Quick Reply: Recaro Seat Re-dye??