Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Defense of the 996

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm just saying that I don't think it is a plus for the 996.
That's what I was saying too, it just took me a lot longer to type! LOL
Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 433 Posts

The Boxster saved Porsche. Porsche then applied the manufacturing processes of the Boxster to the 911. The 996 generation 911 was built to a price not the other way around like the previous generation 911's. Wiedeking went to the engineers and told them to build a car for $60k~ that still captured the "essence" that was a 911. Consider this, a "crate engine" for a 996 with everything bolted on runs well under $10k. A 993 engine runs well over $20k. The profit margin built into all Porsches nowadays is mind boggling. The introduction and subsequent success of the Cayenne is one of the reasons Porsche is as successful as it is today. Porsche fully understands that the 911 is why people want other Porsches and that is why it will always be rear engined and will never go away.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:37 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A large part of Porsche's turnaround was the reform of their manufacturing process. These changes started while the 993 was in production.

Interesting tidbit: at Porsche up to the late 90's each car spent considerable time in the final stage of manufacturing, called something like "defect removal". That's where body panels were aligned, paint was fixed, etc. A 993 was the first car to come out of assembly and into the defect removal stage with zero defects, and that was a direct result of the manufacturing changes.

A 1996 NYT article does a pretty good job of describing the actual reforms: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...=&pagewanted=1.

So while some folks like the think that our cars came out of the "good old Porsche that built cars by hand the proper German way", the fact is that our cars were built while Porsche was already well along in changing to what it is today. I like to think that the 993 is evidence that these changes aren't all bad
Old 02-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Can you say 2009 GT2 ?? It just kicked the @ss off the GT-R at the Ring....Take all that fancy shamcy computer crap off of the GT-R and it would be JAP JUNK ! Com'on Charlie don't give up on us now. I have to say, Porsche sticks with what works...KEEP IT SIMPLE .. case closed.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:57 PM
SirPzalot
Banned

About the looks of the 996. I didn't get the best looking girl in high school either, so get over it and love a 996.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 AM
BlkC4S
Instructor

It always bugged me that Porsche used a different engine for the "regular" 996/7 models, and it's an engine they've never been willing to race or put in their top cars. Now that Porsche has abandoned the engine it's even worse.

The RMS and other problems don't really bother me that much. Every 911 iteration has had its share of problems including our 993s.

Originally Posted by Barney1
Can you say 2009 GT2 ?? It just kicked the @ss off the GT-R at the Ring....Take all that fancy shamcy computer crap off of the GT-R and it would be JAP JUNK ! Com'on Charlie don't give up on us now. I have to say, Porsche sticks with what works...KEEP IT SIMPLE .. case closed.
I'm not a GT-R fan, but isn't there about a $100K price difference between these cars? And let's face it, the latest 997s have plenty of their own fancy technology: PDK, PSM, PASM, ...

The reality is the GT-R and corvette are serious competitors to Porsche, and as a customer I'm glad to see the competition.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:54 PM
911S3.6
Pro

The Gt-1 based engine that was SOP for 964 and 993 is expensive to make.
So, they only put it in the enthusiast cars such as GT2,GT3 and turbo, leaving the
Subaru motor for the Boxster, Cayman, and stock 996, 997s.
Now,( except the 2010 GT3 which will retain the dry sump GT-1 motor), they will all get the new factory motor.
It's a bean counter company now, and very good at it.
Two motors, the one in the Cayenne and one in the "other" cars.
Cheaper build, more profit.
And face it, the "average" Porsche profile driver couldn't care less or even know that there was a race bred motor with such provenanace in their car.
They are still awesome cars for street use.
Different M.O. these days.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

First I think all Porsches are great cars, even the 996 and 997's. Porsche has continued to evolve and with that came the dramatic change of air cooled engines to water cooled. More environmental than anything else in terms of emissions. Currently one of the best Porsches available is the Cayman, in terms of handling, reliability etc. I agree that the Boxster help to rescue Porsche from financial castrophy. At the end of the day it comes down to what moves you? We could sit and debate the styling of the 996 forever and it will appeal to different masses. I personally think the 993 is the most beautiful looking 911, but again you are talking apples and apples.

Quick Reply: In Defense of the 996