Sponsored by:

High Mileage 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Mileage 993

I'm thinking about a high mileage 993, over 120k miles. What are some of the things I should be looking for, asking about? How do I make sure that this vehicle has been well maintained if there are no service records to follow. any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:41 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a PPI done at a reputable shop. Euautowerks is a well known shop in Toronto if you are in the GTA. You are also welcome to join the Porsche group every Saturday morning at http://www.artisanobakery.com/LOCATIONS/islington.asp. A lot of excellent free P car knowledge to be had and it's a lot of fun too, especially in the warmer months. Check out the Canadian thread...https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...-saturday.html Good luck.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:43 AM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Why high mileage?

Out of curiosity, what is your motivation for considering a higher-mileage 911? If it's that the mileage drops the 911 into your price range, keep in mind that parts and service for these cars (or any car for that matter) don't drop along with the purchase price.

- Dave
Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Uber 911

Check out www.mobile.de and take a look at the mileage owners in Germany get up to. One can argue a high miler is potentially more reliable than a low mileage 'garage queen'.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:31 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 478 Posts

^^^^^That site amazed me. High milers are the norm with many over 200000KM. Lots of ex-US cars back home too.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:53 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by davesnothere
Out of curiosity, what is your motivation for considering a higher-mileage 911? If it's that the mileage drops the 911 into your price range, keep in mind that parts and service for these cars (or any car for that matter) don't drop along with the purchase price.

- Dave
My motivation for a higher mileage is two fold. First, I only want to spend a certain amount, I realize that parts and service do not drop with purchase price. I want to get an air cooled rather than water p car this time around. Secondly (some my find odd), I plan to use it as a daily driver. If I bought a vehicle with low mileage, I am afraid I am going to be relucant to drive it and rack up mileage, trying to keep it pristine. If I had a high mileage WELL MAINTAINED vehicle, I would not feel as bad racking up more mileage. I plan to purchase either a pristine 993tt or current model year turbo in two-three years depending on what Porsche offers. I would make that a weekend toy and keep driving the 993/964 (cars that I am considering now).

I sold my 996 Cab two years ago to free up some money and bought a 97 M3, now I want to get back into a P car and want something reliable/fun for every day driving and harsh winters in Canada.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99three
Get a PPI done at a reputable shop. Euautowerks is a well known shop in Toronto if you are in the GTA. You are also welcome to join the Porsche group every Saturday morning at http://www.artisanobakery.com/LOCATIONS/islington.asp. A lot of excellent free P car knowledge to be had and it's a lot of fun too, especially in the warmer months. Check out the Canadian thread...https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...-saturday.html Good luck.
Thanks, I have dealt with Courtney at Autowerks several times, he sure knows his stuff. But I am considering a car from the US, seems to be more 964/993 options available.

Thanks for the invite, I am definitely trying to get out there for one of your gatherings, I would love to pick the brain of some local guys.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:11 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring your M3 if you come to one of our meets. The e36 is one of my favorite BMW cars. How do you like your M3? Pics?
Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it to much if the car has been maintained.
Things to look for...
1. Oil leaks
2. Oil consumption
3. Worn bushing
4. worn shocks
5. SAI & valve guides, but if there is no CEL, or high oil consumption, it's not that big of a deal
6. Door brake, & worn interior

Quick Reply: High Mileage 993