Sponsored by:

Starter problem:

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:29 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Starter problem:

My '95 coupe has refused to re-start a couple of times when the engine is hot, although it won't do this every time, which is what's really baffling me?!?!

Anyone got any suggestions as to what it might be? Thanks in advance. Viv.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Have you replaced the DME relay? Sometimes the characteristics are like that. Worse case, you will have a spare, they do fail.

Cheers

Mike
Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 291 Posts

When you turn the key, do you hear the starter "clicking" or just silence?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:04 AM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the starter could be your trouble alright.

Normally the problem is with the starter solenoid being too heat battered and gunked up over the years to move. When the car is hot , I think the theory is that it takes even more electrical juice to drive the solenoid so that's when you see it at its worst.
As the previous poster said , under these circumstances you normally get a 'clunk' or a 'click' when you turn the key .. And nothing else!
Mine was replaced last year . My mech reckoned then that many of our cars would suffer starter failure as the motor is sitting right in the path of all that hot air as it exits the cylinders having been pushed through by the fan.
They're great cars but they're also just getting to that stage I'm afraid...

OT , but what's the story with your 'Irish guitar' name .. I like that one!!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If the starter turns, but produces a horiffic ratcheting noise when attempting a hot start, the bendix drive is shot = starter replacement: the noise is the clutch pawls inside the bendix destroying thenselves as the nose gear rattles in the ring gear. Those were the symptoms of my starter. You can live with for adequate time to arrange replacement, provided the car is allowed to cool down a bit.
A failing solenoid will often, but not always, 'click' as mentioned - but fail to turn itself, never mind the engine.
No noise/click/etc., = all sorts of electrical issues, so please pass on some more data ...
Old 02-01-2009, 01:22 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies:

Mike J, I haven't replaced DME relay, will look into that.

NC TRACKRAT, it's neither clicking nor silence, more like a failing lurching sound - like a dying battery. However, I had the battery checked last night and it's still good.

Shamrock, Thanks for the info. I wasn't feeling too inspired when I came up with my Rennlist name that particular day. Fact is, I'm Irish and I just happen to play guitar. I could've done better I know. Joyce and Yeats et all would be most disappointed in my letting the team down!

Garth S, I've been trying to replicate, but as mentioned, the car doesn't always exhibit the symptoms - which is why it's such a mystery. I'll post more as I find out.

Regards.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Franz993
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you need a new DME relay. This happened to me recently and symptoms were similar. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:05 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Franz993
Sounds like you need a new DME relay. This happened to me recently and symptoms were similar. Good luck!
About how much $ to replace? I've spent SO much money on this car in the last few years.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:35 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's the DME relay, you're in luck. Should be able to get one for about $40. Try Sunset Porsche; no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Redblurr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen to me once. The weather was around 95 outside ,which is pretty hot for where I live. My car got hotter than I ve ever seen before. I turned the car off to go into a store for a few minutes and when I came back and tried starting it, it sounded horrible. Not just a click or silence. I turned it over and It just did not sound right at all. I then gave it a few minutes to cool down more and tried her again. Luckily It started up and off I went. This has only happened once . Now, I dont let it get that hot. I think it was a combnation of hot weather and ****ty oil that made it get so damn hot. I'm still puzzled about the whole thing but have taken measures to prevent over heating (ie: Oil fan overide switch installed) And of course I get my oil change at the appropriate intervals. (Brad Penn Racing oil only) Not sure if this helps at all but at least know that your not alone.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Franz993
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

As mentioned above, let's hope it's the DME relay. Part number is 993-615-227-00. Should be around $30 shipped. If it's not this then you keep it as a spare.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:54 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought the DME relay shuts off the fuel pump not the starter? When mine went bad the starter worked fine.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
I thought the DME relay shuts off the fuel pump not the starter? When mine went bad the starter worked fine.
Yes, the starter will work fine, a DME relay failure will only shut off the ignitition and fuel pump.

I suggested the DME because its common, and from the wording of the first post I could not tell if the car cranks. "refuses to re-start" is not enough information. Later, the information that the starter turns over but does not sound right came to light, which does not sound like the DME.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-01-2009, 08:52 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 437 Posts

I had the exact same problem. Cold starts, it would fire right up. Hot starts, bubkus. I replaced the starter, problem solved. It didn't cost too much if memory serves, $250~, plus two hours labor.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. The DME did not fix this. And the startup is only a problem after the car has been running a while, I shut the engine off, and then come back like 5min later. Any suggestions where to buy the starter from? Maybe I will do a short shifter or something while the car is at the mechanic?

Quick Reply: Starter problem: