OT: Hey, Let's Be Careful UNDER That 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:52 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhsu
A big favor I ask here:

for the umpteenth time on Rennlist, I am asking (I must have Jack-Up-Car-On-All-Fours-Step-By-Step-Dyslexia), please....

share with us your specific steps on getting the car on all four stands. Including whether you use wheel chocks or not, emergency brake, etc. I would love to hear it again and maybe I can get it through my thick skull. Thank you!
Jack on left side on rear, put stand under front left - repeat for right side.. When u lift from the rear, the entire car rises so there will be enough room to slide the jack stand under the front mounting point. Now with this method you may want to put a block or paver under the rear wheels so that there will be room to slide the jack under the car from the rear...in the next step.

Jack under engine, put stand under left and right rear...

And there are other ways..like jacking the entire front up in one using a 1 X 6 under the front......then the rear from the engine. This way it's accomplished in two steps.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Always good to remember, if you're going to be removing your wheels, back off on all lug nuts just enough so that you can get them off easily when the car is up on all fours. Otherwise, you'll need someone to step on the brake pedal. Emergency brake should be off but I always chock the opposite wheel from the one I'm lifting. (Tip: On cars with floating rotors, never torque the rear wheels with the emergency brake on.) Another suggestion: If you removed your wheels, always get in the habit of torqueing your wheels just as soon as you get your car back off the jackstands. Some folks have forgotten with disasterous results!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
If you removed your wheels, always get in the habit of torqueing your wheels just as soon as you get your car back off the jackstands. Some folks have forgotten with disasterous results!
I use painter's tape extensively when working on the car - stick a bit of the bright blue tape on anything that needs to be re-connected but easily forgotten (IAT gauge in teh intercooler, wheels that aren't yet torqued, etc). I put a big piece on the steering wheel and windshield when something very important needs to be done before the car is driven, such as when the wheels need to be torqued or the oil re-filled.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:29 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
I use painter's tape extensively when working on the car - stick a bit of the bright blue tape on anything that needs to be re-connected but easily forgotten (IAT gauge in teh intercooler, wheels that aren't yet torqued, etc). I put a big piece on the steering wheel and windshield when something very important needs to be done before the car is driven, such as when the wheels need to be torqued or the oil re-filled.

Good idea!
Old 02-02-2009, 01:12 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
I always lay the wheels flat under the car.....old island habit...as soon as you take the wheel off, it's time to slip it under the car...
I like this, but my 225s and 265s offer zero rim protection for my MY02s. Maybe with a cardboard slab underneath first?..

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I purchased a set of AC stands from Steve three years ago and have used these stands many more times than my pea-brain can recount. They are scratched, gouged, stained, and generally abused.

Andreas
WTF?!? Dirty jack stands?!...slacker

The "2x6" jacknig method discussed:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=44637

Quick Reply: OT: Hey, Let's Be Careful UNDER That 993