993 Forum 1995-1998

Friend of mine selling 96 993

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:17 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friend of mine selling 96 993

Coupe. 24,500 miles, very nice car. Red/tan man.trans, unmolested no damage, no paint work. Some stone chips on front bumper, and 1 small imperfection on rear bumper. Very well maintained and cared for, always garaged and covered. Do you guy's think he can get $43k? I would like opinions on this please. If anyone is interested pm me for details, Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

If its a NB, the current market shows much less than $43K. Unmolested also means stock, which means high right height, etc. Low miles can count for quite a bit, but with the economy taking a dump...

Do a search on the list, you will see that several cars have been listed. There was just a Targa (which usually goes for the same if not more than the coupe) for $29K, lower miles.

If he sells it, please feel free to post the price so the rest of us have more data.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the car a narrow or wide body? IMHO narrow body - price seems high. Wide body - Good price. I just posted a 98 Targa at a dealer near me with 21,800 miles. The dealer wants $28K. May not be a good comparison, but something to look at.

Mike
Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike J is on the ball 2 minutes difference in the post.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:27 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

If stock height and shocks means unmolested, I was wrong. It has Bilsteins with M033 springs and is lowered. It is a narrow body car.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Red Tan 96 with those miles - lowered - I would hold out for about 34, your going to have trouble getting much more than that
Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Targa is not a good comparison.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin Keenan
Targa is not a good comparison.
Why not? Targa's seem to command at least as much as a coupe, if not a bit more, so I think they are a valid data point. The problem with the example is its a real steal, as was shown by the fact that its already been sold.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the input guy's but I know he will probably keep it for that price.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:46 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Targa price is very low, IMO, assuming it's a really nice, no stories car. $43K for the '96 Coupe is too high now, but I think Kcreager1's estimate of $34K should be reasonable, with some patience. There just aren't many super nice cars with that mileage around and, even in this market, people (though fewer of them than usual) are willing to pay for that.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:52 AM
samsnead
Pro

I think the suspension actually hurts the cars value in this case.

The mileage is low enough that it probably wouldnt become a driver, so originality is more important.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:48 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedraser
There just aren't many super nice cars with that mileage around and, even in this market, people (though fewer of them than usual) are willing to pay for that.
Big time collectors always have extra discretionary funds if "the right car" comes along. Demand and prices for the sub-30K cars will always be strongest. Although in today's market, strongest = barely alive, signs of life. In all mileage segments, there are a lot of GR and black cars, so a common color may lack a sense of urgency. I say list at $36K and be patient.

Originally Posted by samsnead
I think the suspension actually hurts the cars value in this case. The mileage is low enough that it probably wouldnt become a driver, so originality is more important.
I could see your point if we're talking about a heavily-modded track car, but without being able to see 30 years into the future, unless all collectors are concours judges, I don't know if that's true. It's hard to understand how worn-out Boge shocks will be seen as "better," even if it's not driven. While my ROW MO30 springs don't appear on my options sticker, they are "period correct" OEM parts. I did ask some concours judges at Parade '07 about this in particular, and they told me that in the "Original" class, you just have to be willing to take the hit in points. "Modified" class is something else all together.

At a certain point, it will be interesting to see if a large proportion of surviving examples will be tasteful enthusiast-owned Bilstein/MO30 cars and thus create a new "class standard"?

Who will win out in the battle of enthusiasts vs. collectors?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

All points are valid, but personally I wouldn't want to keep the stock shocks if I were going to drive the car. This particular example, although very nice, is not a show car. I'm sure he wouldn't sell for less than $40k. so I guess he will have to keep it.

Thanks again for all of the input.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:38 PM
samsnead
Pro

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Big time collectors always have extra discretionary funds if "the right car" comes along. Demand and prices for the sub-30K cars will always be strongest. Although in today's market, strongest = barely alive, signs of life. In all mileage segments, there are a lot of GR and black cars, so a common color may lack a sense of urgency. I say list at $36K and be patient.

I could see your point if we're talking about a heavily-modded track car, but without being able to see 30 years into the future, unless all collectors are concours judges, I don't know if that's true. It's hard to understand how worn-out Boge shocks will be seen as "better," even if it's not driven. While my ROW MO30 springs don't appear on my options sticker, they are "period correct" OEM parts. I did ask some concours judges at Parade '07 about this in particular, and they told me that in the "Original" class, you just have to be willing to take the hit in points. "Modified" class is something else all together.

At a certain point, it will be interesting to see if a large proportion of surviving examples will be tasteful enthusiast-owned Bilstein/MO30 cars and thus create a new "class standard"?

Who will win out in the battle of enthusiasts vs. collectors?
I agree with you, but having been at Holt's and Sloans places, they emphasize that the car is unmodified, including suspension. A majority of the buyers in the low mileage market seem to want these cars, since there are driven quite infrequently.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:40 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by samsnead
I agree with you, but having been at Holt's and Sloans places, they emphasize that the car is unmodified, including suspension. A majority of the buyers in the low mileage market seem to want these cars, since there are driven quite infrequently.
You have to remember that Sloan and Holt are car salesman and if the car they were selling had Bilsteins, they would tout the virtues of those as well.

Quick Reply: Friend of mine selling 96 993