Sponsored by:

Follow on question to Trunk Amp Location question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 AM
Mayadino
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow on question to Trunk Amp Location question

I have a Nakamichi head unit, Soundstream amp and ADS speakers, which I saved from my 87 Carrera prior to selling, and am contemplating installing in my 993 with the "hifi" option. The amp is too big to fit under the passenger seat (where it was in my 87) so it will need to go in the front trunk. For the folks who have mounted their amps in the front trunk, I'm wondering how you handled the wiring? Specifically I'd appreciate any insight regarding, (1) where in the firewall did you run the interconnects from the amp to the head unit (speaker wires as well), and (2) how did you connect to the speakers...run new cables through the doors (seems to be mixed experiences), tap into the existing wires from the old amp under the passenger seat, others? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:47 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I mounted my amp under the seat, but I faced the same issue as I ran a power wire directly to the battery. You should be able to run the wires through the firewall without making any new holes. I did this by using the hole (driver's side) which formerly passed the cable for the CD changer. The hole is big enough to run everything through.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is hole through the driver's side wall to the interior on mine. I don't know if it was original or not.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Jamey Rawlings installed my system, but from what I saw, they ran wires through existing holes in the firewall, there was no cutting or drilling for that.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Mayadino
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. My car has the CD changer so I'll follow the wires to and through the firewall. Any recommendations/experience regarding the speaker cable side of things...running new cables through the doors, or is there a straight forward way to tap into the existing cables used by the OEM amp?

Cheers
Old 01-13-2009, 11:26 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by Mayadino
Thanks for the replies. My car has the CD changer so I'll follow the wires to and through the firewall. Any recommendations/experience regarding the speaker cable side of things...running new cables through the doors, or is there a straight forward way to tap into the existing cables used by the OEM amp?

Cheers
It's way easier to use the existing speaker wires. Fortunately, they are of good quality. Just consult the wiring diagram in the workshop manual to double check your connections.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
JM993
Banned

Forgot to mention, if you car had an under seat amp, all the wires will be there.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:25 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may not be applicable to the 993, but in my 964 I had the stereo installation shop mount the amp to a piece of wood and strap it to the fuel tank- not a huge amp so no over heating issues or anything (the trunk map fits over it). I used stock speaker sizes, so everything looks stock except the head unit, which is Alpine. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised the first time we took it out at night and noticed the green and orange colors of the apline matched the green and orange colors of the lights in the center console below giving it a decent stock appearance. The alpine was also the least ugly head unit out there (We did this when I first bought the car in 2002- I think the only decent looking basic units now may be the McIntosh which are very expensive and if anything they look too old- the best looking head unit in my opinion was the alpine units of the mid 1990's- basic, clean design). The audio quality is decent, but I'm in a 911 so most of the music I listen to is from the motor and wind with the top down
Old 01-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Mayadino
Intermediate

Excellent news jmarch. Patching into the amp wiring sounds like the best option for me. By chance does anyone have the wiring diagram handy for the amp/speaker connections for a hifi set-up?

Cheers

Quick Reply: Follow on question to Trunk Amp Location question