Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The color of your 993 determines your accident rate - I shoulda bought white! :o)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:01 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember reading somewhere that the early 914s with chrome bumpers tended to get into to head on collisions due to the chrome reflecting the image of the road so oncoming cars didn't see them. Not sure I buy that but it sounds like a good story.

My solution to cutting collision risk is to drive as fast as possible so I get where I'm going quickly and minimize the risk.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 427 Posts

Wonder if this represented the percentage of the total number of cars available in each of the colors, or just simply the color of the car as a percent of all accidents. IOW, if 90% of all vehicles are black, it would be expected that 90% of cars in accidents would be black. Dark colors would naturally be more difficult to see at dawn/dusk.

In a sorta related story, I was surprised how many cars didn't have their lights on in mid-morning pea soup fog last week. Visiblility was down to under 20 yards and maybe 15% didn't have their lights on. A few idiots apparently thought it was cool to only have their parking lights on, though. I got surprised by a silver 325 who was crawling along at 20MPH no lights on as I approached at 30MPH. The silver blended into the fog very well. Followed for a mile turning my lights on/off and hi/low just to see how long it would take for the BMW driver to "get it", but she never did. I don't know why, but a lot of folks have an aversion to turning on their lights during difficult conditions. It's as if they hadn't noticed that the other cars without lights on at dusk/dawn or in fog are difficult to see.

Quick Reply: The color of your 993 determines your accident rate - I shoulda bought white! :o)