Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Complete interior makeover thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Complete interior makeover w/ alcantara & tartan, PICS finally!

PICS ON PAGE 3!

Thread is from Jan. '09

----------------------------------------

The past few years, all of my free time has been devoted to finishing my 928 race car. Unfortunately, that meant that my 993 got neglected. The interior had gotten pretty dirty (marble gray carpet needs to be maintained really well!), and I was really tired of the dated look of the midnight blue. I enjoyed the marble gray, but I like a change. Also, I have a new leather 3-spoke wheel going in, and I didn't want to put the nice wheel in a dirty interior. So, I went to work.

Right now I'm done with all of the upholstery work, but the interior is still totally apart. I plan on dying the seats and headliner Friday and putting the parts back in on Sunday.

Firstly, here is a photo of the interior when I purchased the car 6 years ago. In retrospect, I wish I had kept it this way, but it doesn't matter now!

After that, I decided to add a nice stereo since the car was my DD. While doing that, I also dyed some parts black and carpeted some things in blue.

Since the car is no longer my DD, I don't need the fancy stereo system. I'll put that in my truck. I'm keeping the head unit and running some standard 6.5" speakers in the doors.

The first step was to deconstruct. After that, I got some SEM Color Coat and dyed the carpet black. Don't worry; from this photo it doesn't look that good... it's just the picture. Sometime next year I plan on purchasing a whole new black carpet set from Rob Budd, but this will have to do for now since I blew my budget on the 3-spoker and airbag.

Next, I stripped the dye off the seats. They are being conditioned right now, and I will dye them with Surflex on Friday.

Since I don't need the fiberglassed components in the door panel, I removed that part and turned my hifi door panels into the standard panels with a little fiberglass.

Here is a picture of the interior as it sits now:

Continued.....

Last edited by Benton; 12-05-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Man, you've been busy!

Did you graduate from Vanderbilt?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Benton
Drifting

On to the good stuff! I've always dreamed of a Porsche with a plaid interior, so I decided, what the hell, why not?

New materials-
2.5 yards of black alcantara
3 yards of Moffat Tartan plaid fabric
Black surflex

In these pictures, the white balance is a bit off on the plaid. I'll take some good pictures of the interior once I'm done with it all.

The first step was to take the handbrake, new 997 shift **** (got on ebay for $36!), and old 993 shift boot covers apart for templates for the alcantara.

Finished shift ****, handbrake cover in plaid and alcantara, and a new shift boot in alcantara with french seams.

Close-up of shift ****:

Next, I covered the lower portion of the rear deck in plaid, and the upper portion is alcantara. I'm done with the rear deck, but don't have any photos of it together yet.

On to the rear quarters. I took quite a bit of care to make sure the plaid was straight, and it actually matches up at the panel junctions. I also dyed the vinyl here with surflex. The window sills, front and rear, are covered in alcantara (no photos of that right now).

And finally, for this update, I covered the door panels. The door cards are alcantara as well.

Stay tuned for the final update and installation. The upper and lower dash are finished and covered in alcantara; all that remains is to dye the seats and headliner, then install it all!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Benton
Drifting

Mark:
My mom still makes fun of that sweatshirt. It's my "work sweatshirt" bought it years back when I wanted to do engineering at Vandy. I ended up changing my mind to Design, so I went to Auburn for Industrial Design.

Last edited by Benton; 01-08-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Hot dam, that is a project!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Red
Mark:
My mom still makes fun of that sweatshirt. It's my "work sweatshirt" bought it years and years back when I wanted to do engineering at Vandy. I ended up changing my mind to Design, so I went to Auburn for Industrial Design.
Cool. I graduated from there in, gulp, '85!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Benton
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Cool. I graduated from there in, gulp, '85!
Great school; I would have loved to go there, but MAN it got expensive! That was the biggest deciding factor. I still rock the sweatshirt when I'm working like I went there.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:35 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That interior is going to look snazzy. I dig it.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm liking that Moffat Tartan plaid fabric alot. Keep us posted. NICE!

Mike
Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Benton
Drifting

Thanks! Here is another photo of some of the dyed carpet. The only carpet in this photo that was originally black is the front floor mats. Some was blue, some was gray.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

WTF are you thinking?

On a Pontiac Fiero perhaps, but a 993?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Benton
Drifting

Haha. Different strokes buddy. I went into this knowing some would love it and some would hate it. I love it, and I couldn't care less what you think.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 PM
vicrossi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm diggin' it, isn't that the burberry pattern?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:12 PM
ste993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kinda cool I think.

^ No, I don't think it's Burberry... but you've given me an idea!!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Benton
Drifting

Burberry is nice looking, but this is just a Scottish Tartan plaid. By the way, I didn't see this photo before I started this project, but here is a (I think) '76 Turbo interior with the same style plaid. I'd eventually like to make this car sort of a lightweight semi-retro 993.

I don't really like that one, but it just shows that I'm not copying a Fiero; I'm trying to make it retro-styled but factory looking, then adding the alcantara for a more modern touch.

I'm looking forward to you guys seeing the final product; I think it will be a good bit different than some of you are imagining. Thanks for the comments!

Quick Reply: Complete interior makeover thread