993 Forum 1995-1998

Window Switches for $16.50 Delivered

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:24 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ouch, I wish I had done a search....

I was at the local shop this morning having a state inspection on my Mini. While there I mentioned my 993 driver's side door window switch is starting to act intermittently. He said 'you want the cheap crap or OEM'. Without thinking I said OEM, even with a 10% off coupon it was still $45. I said 'why do you stock both', he said some people don't mind crappy frequently-failing switches that cost $15. Oh well, at least I hear it's an easy replacement. Can someone tell me what you use to pry the old one out of the door (I'm assuming something above and something below ?
without screwing up the vinyl trim ? THANKS
Old 11-24-2009, 01:37 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

For what its worth.... I was talking with the parts guy at the dealer awhile back about the premium on 993 parts compared to other models... The example he gave me, window switches.... 993 window switch $50, 964 window switch $20... The only difference is the texture on the lever.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:24 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

We stock both at our shop as well. The cheap ones usually last less than a year, you get what you pay for.
Porsche ones last longer and carry a warranty. I always recommend the Genuine Porsche brand, but not everyone wants to pay $50 a switch.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I no longer have my 993 but the AutoHausAZ ones were still working fine when I sold it in Oct.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:46 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also got switches from AutohausAZ and they have been working well so far (installed about 6 months ago). I'll see what their longevity is before deciding what the replacement will be when needed.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
Can someone tell me what you use to pry the old one out of the door (I'm assuming something above and something below ?
There is a thin flat metal housing that surrounds the back edge of the face of the switch. It has little fingers that wrap around the inside and pinch the vinyl. It serves as the mounting surface for the switch. If you start prying out the old switch with a sharp screwdriver of 1/8" or narrower, your most likely failure point is pulling the housing as well as the switch. This is bad, and undermines the ability of the housing to hold the new switch flush and tight.

So when digging in with the screwdriver, pull the back out slowly until you are only a couple of millimeters behind the face of the switch. At that point you might even feel a small "click" telling your that you've grabbed just the swtich and not the housing as well. Once you're sure that you're free of the housing, you can push back in a bit and use the housing as a fulcrum to help you get the switch out.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

964 switches are the same part number (964.xxx...) and have the same $50 dealer pricetag. I tried an ebay "OEM" and it lasted about a month. Then bought two from the dealer and one just failed after slightly over a year of use. This is an aftermarket gold mine if someone can make a switch that lasts, even for $50 a pop.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:04 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
ouch, I wish I had done a search....

I was at the local shop this morning having a state inspection on my Mini. While there I mentioned my 993 driver's side door window switch is starting to act intermittently. He said 'you want the cheap crap or OEM'. Without thinking I said OEM, even with a 10% off coupon it was still $45. I said 'why do you stock both', he said some people don't mind crappy frequently-failing switches that cost $15. Oh well, at least I hear it's an easy replacement. Can someone tell me what you use to pry the old one out of the door (I'm assuming something above and something below ?
Fingers.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:09 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I have replaced all of my switches in my nearly 4 years of ownership, some more than once. In fact I have one that needs replacing now. I have purchased OEM and repro. I have not noticed a difference in longevity. So, naturally, I buy the cheap ones now.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a $12 switch from Ebay and it lasted an entire week!

Live and learn...
Old 11-25-2009, 12:58 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are (at least!) 3 grades:

OEM Porsche $45
German $38
Really cheap (most are Asian) $15 or less

The German hold up as well as the OEM Porsche, FWIW
None last as long as a window switch should!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
There are (at least!) 3 grades:

OEM Porsche $45
German $38
Really cheap (most are Asian) $15 or less

The German hold up as well as the OEM Porsche, FWIW
None last as long as a window switch should!
Do you guys sell any of these?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:23 AM
samba-lee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about repairing the "broken" OEM switch ? It's usually just that the contacts are burnt - strip the switch, blast the contacts, reassemble - I've done this on other cars.

Lee
Old 11-25-2009, 08:37 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
There is a thin flat metal housing that surrounds the back edge of the face of the switch. It has little fingers that wrap around the inside and pinch the vinyl. It serves as the mounting surface for the switch. If you start prying out the old switch with a sharp screwdriver of 1/8" or narrower, your most likely failure point is pulling the housing as well as the switch. This is bad, and undermines the ability of the housing to hold the new switch flush and tight.

So when digging in with the screwdriver, pull the back out slowly until you are only a couple of millimeters behind the face of the switch. At that point you might even feel a small "click" telling your that you've grabbed just the swtich and not the housing as well. Once you're sure that you're free of the housing, you can push back in a bit and use the housing as a fulcrum to help you get the switch out.
Thank you for the specific details. This is why I ask questions, because in my bull-in-a-china-shop style I'd have just yanked out the frame as well. Knowing that the frame is there,into which the switch's metal tabs fit, will help whether I try fingers or small flathead screwdriver.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

When I sold the cab the 16 buck swithch was still working. I would still buy a $16 one over an OEM one for $50. However, if I only got a week out of it I would be shelling out $50 for an OEM one!

Quick Reply: Window Switches for $16.50 Delivered