Sponsored by:

Worn Frt Shock Symptom?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Worn Frt Shock Symptom?

Okay, first let me say I have stock shocks on the front of my car with 111K miles.

If you're done throwing the rotten tomatoes, note that the jarring in front is clearly a sign it's long past time for them to go. My question though: I pulled through the gutter into my driveway this afternoon, and the suspension seemed to get "stuck" so that the front end was about an inch or more below its usual height in the front of my car (like below RS ride height). I drove it around the cul de sac and back in to the driveway, and it came back up to normal height.

Does this sound like something a worn shock could cause, or can you think of anything else that could get stuck up there like that? Figured I'd ask before I climb under there in the morning...

Thanks in advance.
dave
Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You're kidding right?

The stock shocks that came with your car are good for 30K miles, maybe 50K. You are way overdue for new shocks. It soulds like they are already binding. Use this opportunity to upgrade to Bilsteins HD's.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

This damper (albeit a rear) is from a 60k mile car. Absolutely DONE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WiNZVm997o
Old 01-03-2009, 12:10 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Dave - it's not April 1st yet.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by black ice
Okay, first let me say I have stock shocks on the front of my car with 111K miles.

If you're done throwing the rotten tomatoes, note that the jarring in front is clearly a sign it's long past time for them to go. My question though: I pulled through the gutter into my driveway this afternoon, and the suspension seemed to get "stuck" so that the front end was about an inch or more below its usual height in the front of my car (like below RS ride height). I drove it around the cul de sac and back in to the driveway, and it came back up to normal height.

Does this sound like something a worn shock could cause, or can you think of anything else that could get stuck up there like that? Figured I'd ask before I climb under there in the morning...

Thanks in advance.
dave

No, it's normal. Porsche is finally activating the dormant, "factory-controlled ride height so that we can f*ck with our customers twelve years later adjuster". Those Germans have the strangest sense of humor!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:49 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Well holy shiznoli, guess I'll be doing some online shopping tonight...

dave
Old 01-03-2009, 06:37 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Springs compressed between the lower perch plus upper bearing control the static ride height of a car .... not the shocks hydraulic piston: not to say your shocks aren't dead - they are; however, if there was a real drop in ride height, check the whole assembly.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:23 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
...The stock shocks that came with your car are good for 30K miles, maybe 50K. ...
My US M030 shocks were fine when I removed them at 75k. A friend of mine removed his US M030 and they were fine at 85k. So there's a huge variance in life. But I completely agree that the OP's are shot based on his post. Like waaay shot.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:54 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

I removed my stock BOGE shocks at around 37,000 miles - because of the anti-agricultural ride height atmosphere around here...

That said, I've been very pleased with the Bilstein HD / M030 coil combo I installed at the time.

Andreas
Old 01-03-2009, 07:02 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

What, only 110K???????????????????? Please tell me this is your 4th set of shocks.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:44 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Uhhhh - nope. Bought the car with 68K and (what appear to be) the original shocks given the records I have. I am not sure I would know if they were a "little bit" bad, but I've had some friends that track drive and they thought the car handled fine - at least until recently...

Whatever they are, they don't appear to be anything special. Black body with (I think) a yellow sticker on the back side.

Looking for some HDs to match the back, as well as your wise recommendations. Going price seems to be about $370. Let me know if any of you have seen less expensive. I'm gonna pop over to Ebay and see what I can find, otherwise I'll probably just hit one of the sponsoring vendors like Vertex. Or Viper Bob.

Dave
Old 01-10-2009, 09:58 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Well, put in some Bilstein HDs today and they are like... like... butter.

I think the shocks that were in the car may have been the second pair. Looked to be Boge factory struts, but at some point someone was pretty abusive to the allen keyway on top of the strut.

Strange failure mode. The shocks were really peforming fine about three or four weeks ago, then deteriorated pretty quickly (especially in compression), and then the left shock would get stuck when approaching full bump.

dave
Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 PM
bmweater
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you upgrade these, is it just a straight swap...sorry for the hijack
Old 01-11-2009, 12:57 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

The HDs are basically a straight swap for the factory shocks. There are three plastic things attached to your shock body which need to be transferred to the new shock body. they hold things like the wiring to your brakes or your ABS sensor. This takes like an extra 45 minutes. You have to push the plastic plug out from the back of each (or pull out with vise grips) and then pull out the plug. Not too difficult.

The front Bilstein HDs have two collars on the threaded body to set ride height. You will be able to measure the height on the old shock before you remove the spring and apply this height to the new shocks. You need to compress the spring slightly to disassemble the old shock, but with the HD you can turn the collars all the way to the bottom of the thread travel and then work them up until you have the same distance to the bottom of the spring as you did with the old shock.

I wonder if there is a DIY on this. Did not take pics today but will work on a short DIY tomorrow (assuming wifey doesn't have to many honey do's)

dave
Old 01-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Rick J.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please tell me that you had an alignment/ride height done after install!!

Quick Reply: Worn Frt Shock Symptom?