Sponsored by:

A/C Evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Okay, metal panel out of the way and the airbox is visible now. Just ordered the Griffiths evap/expansion valve and drier.

TJ, I'm using your DIY guide. Thanks for putting that together!

There's a long tube that looks like a vacuum tube that is tied to the wire bundle on the passenger side, does that hook to something or is it just not attached to anything? You can see it swung up in this pic... (the tube is aiming at the words, 'Air Intake Grill'

http://pcarworkshop.com/index.php/Im..._-_image21.jpg

thanks!

-travis
Old 01-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like TJ had the same question in a previous thread... I guess I'll just hook up the long black vacuum hose to the connector and leave the shorter tube disconnected??

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...sed-to-go.html
Old 01-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Onto airbox removal...

Okay, that airbox is stuck in there! I am having a hard time getting to budge off of the ducts.

BTW, I think the real problem is the o-ring pictured on the expansion valve. It was torn and likely the source of the leak.

Really want to get the airbox out. TJ, where are the 3 tabs you refer to in you DIY? I see the one staring at me on both the left and right sides, but dunno where the others are...

-travis
Attached Images  

Last edited by Travis; 04-26-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Travis - can you take a picture of the tabs that you can see? it will jog my memory. Sorry its been awhile.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got it out! Glad I didn't stop just at the valve. Man, that thing is gross!

Also after I took off the valve, the o-rings were visibly worn as well on the back side.

Tomorrow, the parts arrive and time to button everything back up.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:44 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Good job. Mine looked the same way. Its amazing that the evap would work at all with all the muck in the veins.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work Travis! I've gotta ask...how much time have you put into this so far? I've got this looming on the top of my list as well.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, the number of hours is around 5 so far, however, this is spread out over several days. After work, a couple of hours on the weekend, before work...

The time sinks are:
1. Getting the gas tank out. Siphon as much as you can. Makes less of a mess in the end.
2. Getting the airbox out. Be gentle and take your time. It will eventually come out.

The rest is nuts, screws and a few bolts. TJ's thorough DIY has been my guide and it's been working out so far!

Hope to see Mr. UPS in an hour so I can get started on the install.

-travis
Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a mate help me and it took us about 12 hours total time. A lot of that time was just gorking at it wondering what to tackle next!
We never siphoned the petrol. I took the hoses off the fuel pump and dumped the lot. The hoses were easy to get back on.

When you get to the stage of trying to get the air box back in be aware of a cable loom thats not attached to anything under the fuse box. That needs to be bent out of the way. You'll see what I mean, unless the Turbo's are different.
There are some clips on the lower vents that need to "click" back into place.
Hard to expain this in words, but the box assy wont go in fully unless they go click.

The other bitch was lining the bolts up that go into the firewall. If the heaterbox won't go back all the way, thats what the problem will be. I wasted about an hour before figuring that one out.

I hated doing that job and think anyone that achieves it, and keeps there sanity deserves a pat of the back.
GL.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default A/C is blowing cold now

Success! Went down to Kirberg Motors to get the vacuum and recharge performed this afternoon.

Brian, the tech said the system held vacuum no problem so onwards to the evac and refill of R134a and some dye (just in case). Woo hoo, those o-rings aren't so bad afterall. Time will tell if it's truly fixed. Fingers crossed.

Here's some pics of the Griffith's Kuehl evap and expansion valve as fitted into the airbox and the infamous tabs that lock the airbox onto the ducts with all their might.

Now on to some long awaited driving in this spring like weather we're having!

cheers,

-travis

Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the pictures. I get to look forward to this in a few weeks.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just take your time and it's really not too bad. The gas tank was a pain, but again, siphon as much as you can.

The airbox was tricky. No brute force needed unless you want to buy new ducts. I didn't want to buy new ducts, so a little patience and wiggling and sliding a slim tool down to release the tabs did the trick. Putty knife works well.

Once the airbox is out, replacing the evap was a 30 min. exercise, if that. Lots of screws and clips to remove.

The drier was simple and straightforward. Remove liner and unbolt. Lube up new o-rings and attach. I also cleaned out the condensor in the front driver corner. Lots o bugs and leaves there. I just shoved the vacuum down in there after removing the turbo s duct and got all the crap out.

Wife just took the car out to do some shopping...hmm. Oh well, I'll drive it tomorrow!

-travis
Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jhummel68
Thanks for the pictures. I get to look forward to this in a few weeks.
Call me when you do. I will be there for as a tool caddy only

Mike
Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again for taking the time to post up your results and pictures. MY Griffith's evaporator and dryer will arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to getting this done once and for all!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:41 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wanted to post an update on removing the evaporator as I have a feeling others will be doing there’s soon. I also want to give a big thanks to Mike (Arena993) for all his help. First, we had a hell of a time getting the CR-1 out. After the trim ring around the radio is remove there are two sliding locks that need to be unlocked. No special tools for this radio just a screwdriver or something like it to move the “locks” up to the neutral or middle position then pull. The pulling part is what was hard. It was really stuck in there and took four hands to push / pull to get it loose. The other thing that people were having trouble with were the vent tubes that come up from the bottom on both the driver’s and passenger’s side. The DIY says there are three tabs that need to be released, one you can see and the other two are on the back side that you can’t see. We found out by removing the side kick panels from the interior (very easy) one person can be inside gently pulling down on the tube while the other is in by the air box “releasing” the tabs is the best way to get those tubes out of the way. With two people working on this, it would be easy to get this part of the job done in one day. I did take the time the next day to remove the compressor and empty the old oil out and flush the whole system. This did add more time but now I know the job is complete and won’t have to do anything to it for a long time. Good luck to those who are going to try this. It is definitely doable.

Quick Reply: A/C Evaporator