Sponsored by:

Wrong car cover for indoors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wrong car cover for indoors?

My car isn't a daily driver and I keep it garaged. It came with this NOAH Block-It cover, which I thought was pretty nice, but it seems like it's more for outdoor use: http://www.covercraft.com/NOAH.htm
Last night my buddy asked me "So, is this a super-soft, no scratch cover?"
Me: "Uh, I dunno." Turns out it Covercraft only rates it as "better" for scratch and ding protection...WTF?

I think I might need an "indoor" cover, like their "Form-Fit" model. They rate it as best+ for scratch protection and best for ding protection. plus it's not so bulky to pack up. Looks an awful lot like the genuine Porsche accesories models I've seen: http://www.covercraft.com/Form-Fit.htm

Any experiences with either? Anyone want to trade?

EDIT: Here's the Porsche product. At $199, pretty reasonable vs. $318 for the Form-Fit above.
http://porsche.parkplacestores.com/P...14&us=67456.34
Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Stated differently:

1) Which car cover do you have?

2) If you like it, why?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:12 AM
dmm993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the Porsche one from Sunset last week.. It's en route and I should have it real soon. I have never owned a car that needed a cover before (this is my first winter with the 993) so I was a little confused as to which one to buy.

There were many I considered, but I figured with the Porsche one, it will be guaranteed to fit and it must be good quality (breathable, non-abrasive), for Porsche to sell it. (Let's hope!)

At first, I was going to get an indoor-only cover, since I don't plan to ever keep the 993 outside (at least long enough to need a cover). I ended up going with the PNA-508-993 "SilverGuard" indoor/outdoor cover, just in case. The PNA-505-993 is the "TriGuard" indoor-only cover, I believe.

By the way, it seems like the Porsche 993 covers are getting harder and harder to find, at least in the US. A lot of the online sites are back-ordered, or sold out completely.

Good luck.

-Dave

1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black
Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gert Carnewal has form fitted ones. IIRC... his price was close to competitors and in the case of my RS.. with tail and front splitters... it fitted like a glove!

Good luck
Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 550 Likes on 373 Posts

I have the Porsche Silverguard. Seems to work well. I use it outdoors periodically through the summer and use indoors while the car is in storage for the winter.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The NOAH material is great for a comb indoor/outdoor cover. I have two of them and they work very well on 356s and 911s. They do have a second material on the inside to protect the paint. The real key to avoiding scratches with any cover is to always be certain the car surface is clean before using the cover. An added benefit to the multi-layer outdoor covers for an indoor application is that they provide a cushion of protection for those unplanned "touches" by some of the many other items used in a garage.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:07 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+ 1 for Gert @ Carnewal
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

that's the one i had (gert) for my old car and loved it. IIRC, it was pretty pricey, about $300. maybe i should ask santa to bring me for that for christmas this year............
Old 12-02-2008, 12:27 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
My car isn't a daily driver and I keep it garaged. It came with this NOAH Block-It cover, which I thought was pretty nice, but it seems like it's more for outdoor use: http://www.covercraft.com/NOAH.htm
Last night my buddy asked me "So, is this a super-soft, no scratch cover?"
Me: "Uh, I dunno." Turns out it Covercraft only rates it as "better" for scratch and ding protection...WTF?

I think I might need an "indoor" cover, like their "Form-Fit" model. They rate it as best+ for scratch protection and best for ding protection. plus it's not so bulky to pack up. Looks an awful lot like the genuine Porsche accesories models I've seen: http://www.covercraft.com/Form-Fit.htm

Any experiences with either? Anyone want to trade?

EDIT: Here's the Porsche product. At $199, pretty reasonable vs. $318 for the Form-Fit above.
http://porsche.parkplacestores.com/P...14&us=67456.34
Chuck,

Does it work for you? then don't sweat it. If you need a present for the holidays or birthday then ask for one. You know you could turn your garage into a clean room and never drive the car. then you won't have to worry about the cover.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:53 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

+1 on only putting a cover on a clean car. Also, a lot of avoiding scratches is in how you handle the cover. NEVER drag it across the car as you put it on/off. When removing it you should fold the sides over the the top, covering the outer side of the cover completely. Then roll the cover up so the inside only touches the other inside parts of the cover, ultimately putting it in a clean cover bag until next time. A big mistake many people make is just rolling the cover up from one end to the other. When you do that the clean inside gets pressed against the dirty outside and the dirt ends up on the inside and causes scratches. Most good covers will be pretty scratch free if you use them correctly.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Porsche Silver guard

I guess it is OK, my primary purpose is in the summer months when the car is parked in the sun to keep it cooler. It is a very lightweight cover, so when there is a little breeze, it is a bit of a PITA to put on and take off, but it is well made, and the elastic holds it on.

Previously I used a generic cloth cover which left a lot of dust, it was quite soft, and did the job. between the 2, the Silverguard is better, as it doesn't have the dust problem.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My Porsche is in the same category as yours. I've bought 2 or 3 Evolution covers from Covercraft, and I use one on the 911 even though it stays inside. I like the extra "ding protection" aspect, and it's fairly soft. I figured it would also have more utility in case I had to leave the Porsche outside for a day or two when using the garage for something else. I don't think they're an optimal outdoor cover though, because Evolution does allow some soak-through if it gets really wet. I recently switched to a WeathershieldHP for a car that sits out all the time. Pricey though.

Seems like the Porsche cover is a good deal, all things considered.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PM sent

Quick Reply: Wrong car cover for indoors?