Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

So much for this "Greatest Generation" BS.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Default So much for this "Greatest Generation" BS.

So I'm in line in the bank and notice three septogenarians come in and their animated conversation stopped as they came in the door.
I do my business and leave. I notice their Buick La Sabre parked a little too close to my driver's side for comfort, so I look down the door and wing to see if there are any door dings.
There aren't any, so I think to myself: "see they were careful getting out. Shame on me for suspecting them."
I carefully get in my car, and as I'm checking my mirror to back out, I notice some white paint on their fender. I think: "well maybe not shame on me. They hit someone recently."
So I head to my next stop. As I get out of my car, I notice the scrape on the rear fender! I was looking forward where their doors would have hit, never thinking that they would have run into me and not said anything!
I thought old people were supposed to have character and integrity. WTF???
So the bank is checking to see if it's on the video cams in the garage. I hope I get to ask the above question in person.
Otherwise, it looks like new stoneguards, some serious buffing, and a little touch up painting are in order.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:38 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it a Gold Buick???

They probably never even knew they hit it. Could have been worse I suppose but it still sucks to get damaged like that. Probably not enough for a insurance claim but too much to leave alone.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM
got*ki
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, interestingly enough, that happened to my wife's BMW e34 this weekend too. I washed her car yesterday and found a scrape to the rear tail light and also found just below the tail light there is a kink in the metal. No note, no report. Just a hit and run. The tail can be polished out. There is no way the kink can be pounded out. I think we are going to just leave that one as is.

This is after getting the other corner repaired just about 3 months ago from a similar type of rear-end hit that resulted in the car taking a couple of weeks to fix. On that hit, the driver of the other car owned up to the accident.

Drivers are much less careful than in the past...It's a sad direction/path that society is taking where there is blatant disregard and disrespect for others and their property.

BTW, did the shirt fit okay?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:21 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Jeez. It must be going around, because two weeks ago I was out in Calabasas having brunch with some Pcar buddies for my birthday and when I get out I realize that some jackass has hit the rear driver's side quarter panel and bumper. No note, no nothing.

There is a tiny bit of paint that has been rubbed off on the lower edge of the quarter panel and the upper edge of the bumper and a slight dimple in the metal. I don't know that they will be able to pull it out, but I hope so. Happy Birthday to me. Sucks.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

The shirt fits great! Thanks!
I just did a little buffing with scratch-x and most of the stuff came off. There's still a nice no-paint outline around my wheel well, and my idea of replacing my stoneguards every year looks like it will be easy to keep this year...
Old 12-01-2008, 03:59 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

that is terrible Rick...
Old 12-01-2008, 04:06 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I washed my 993 this weekend and found that sometime last week some ahole whipped their door open and hit my right front fender just above the wheel well not once, but twice!, leaving white paint in two places and one ding that I will have to get fixed.

Just once I'd like to catch someone in the act!

I'm getting tempted to buy a POS car to drive everyday and leave my 993 in my garage full time but the draw of driving my 993 still won't let me.

ZP44
Old 12-01-2008, 04:11 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the scary part is the number of baby boomers with declining driving skills who will be driving over the next twenty years. And yes, I am one of them.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:22 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone keyed my car a while back in a Home Depot parking lot. WTF. Its a real PITA to find a good paint shop and write the check for the deductible. My advise is to take car of it right away. That way you don't think about it every time you get in your car.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:32 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
They probably never even knew they hit it.
+1
Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
I'm getting tempted to buy a POS car to drive everyday and leave my 993 in my garage full time.
Done. Parked at the bus station every day. Don't hate me for my glamorous life!

Last edited by dcdude; 07-24-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about this Rick...we seem to take our life in our hands when we are visiting my wifes folks in Clearwater. There are too many old drivers but I cannot believe they would not own up to the damage.

Hope you can get it resolved...

Bruce (you saved my Spiderco!)
Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

This is why I don't drive a nice car anywhere. I spend my money on my race car and drive a Jeep Wrangler for a daily driver. I sold my M5 as I started to hate to take it anywhere for fear of either accidental damage or vandals.

If I buy another nice luxury car it will be religated to sundy drives only.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:10 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Done. Parked at the bus station every day. Don't hate me for my glamorous life!
LOL. Me too. I drive a 20 year old diesel POS everyday to my office and have the collection in a locked storage space, most of which only come out on weekends for fun.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

It also seems the spaces keep getting smaller and smaller. Some that are marked "Compact", should say "Motorcycle".
I never, ever, park my 993 in a parking lot.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rick: Especially BS after all the work you have done. For this reason I will never park between cars, always an end spot angled. However, that doesn't protect against some jerk hitting the front or rear.

Quick Reply: So much for this "Greatest Generation" BS.