993 Forum 1995-1998

FISTER stage III installation and impression

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:18 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FISTER stage III installation and impression

i want to start by saying it has taken me since yesterday to calm down and get my thoughts together to describe how cool (awesome, mean, bitchin, insert adjective here) sounds. incredible.

installation:
if anybody is thinking about changing the mufflers/exhaust on their car but is unsure they can tackle the project, it's not difficult at all. 4 bolts and 2 hex-head screws and the mufflers are off. simple. the hardest part of taking my mufflers off were that the bolts were rusty and difficult to break loose. i actually broke a bolt so i replaced all 4. replacing with the stage III mufflers was easy as they just bolt back in place. if i didn't break a bolt, the entire process would have taken about an hour and that includes getting tools together, jacking the car up and clean up.

sound:
as soon as i started my car up, i could tell there was a different exhaust on my car. i had 1 3/4" bypass pipes installed (the LPMM mod) and it was noticeably louder, but not too much. revving the car up i could also tell that these cans were louder, but from inside the car i couldn't tell a difference (a good thing). it was 30 degrees outside, but i was driving around with windows down, taking my car up to about 5k RPM and letting the car come back down listening to the burble and crackle of the exhaust all while giggling with a huge grin on my face. i want somebody to drive my car so that i can hear the exhaust for myself. for someone coming from a stock exhaust to stage III, it might be advisable to start with the bypass tubes or stage II...i say that because this definitely sounds like a modified exhaust and may be a little too loud for some people. i was standing behind my car talking with a friend (i drove to his house to show off) and we had to talk a little louder than normal or move to the side of the car. there is no resonance inside the car, but i do think i can hear a little more of the exhaust with my windows up. i assume going from a stock exhaust to stage III would be a noticeable volume increase.

wrap up:
my car seems to have been transformed by the new stage III exhaust. i know this is subjective and may sound weird, but my car feels lighter, more visceral and it is exactly what i wanted. at certain RPMs it sounds to me like a 996 gt3 and then at times it sounds like a porsche race car with straight pipes...it's a great compromise between a stock look, no resonance and *****-out debauchery when you give it full throttle. i don't think i would have a problem having this exhaust on my daily driver.

all-in-all, you can guess i'm very happy with this mod and i would recommend it to anyone wanting a more aggressive sound. it's getting up to a balmy 38 degrees and sunny today, so if you will excuse me, i've got about 6 hours of driving without a destination to do today.

Last edited by roche; 11-23-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:36 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Very nice!

Andreas
Old 11-23-2008, 03:41 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Thanks for posting. Please give us an update after your drive today. I've got Supercups on the 95 and though they sure sound nice, they're too much for more than a couple hours. I want to put something on the 97 but can't decide between Stage II or III.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your killing me.........
Old 11-23-2008, 07:39 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

i just put the car away from a great day of driving. i gave a couple rides to friends, did some city driving and tore up a bunch of my favorite country roads. i love this mod!

on my way home, i turned into my subdivision and backed it down to 25-30mph. kept it in 2nd gear. i have to drive by my buddies house who owns a 355gts and an older ferrari BB something with a v12. i didn't see him out but apparently he was in his garage with the door up. he just left my place because he heard my car and knew something was different and had to come over to check it out. he said the crackle and burble as my car was decelerating sounded great. he has a tubi stlye on his 355 and said it reminded him of that sound, only a lower tone. he was impressed and i continue to be.

it's gonna be a looooooooong winter knowing i have that car sitting in the garage.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:23 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, how much do you get from each mod?

I am so sold.

My car is stored fpr the winter, but I cannot (incompentant) jack it up to RR the cans. I'll try to work something out with my mehanice when I go for an oil change this week (before storage). Maybe he has aspare set up cans for me or I can drive it home without mufflers.

Has anyone from Canada done this exchange thru Darren? How long does the whole process take?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:29 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you hear the radio and is it too loud on the inside??
Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

no problem hearing the radio or talking to your passenger. everything inside the cabin is *almost* as quiet as stock. no resonance at all.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:39 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

sound file?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:40 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
Maybe he has aspare set up cans for me or I can drive it home without mufflers.

Unless your mechanic lives at the end of your driveway, I would advise against it. Without the mufflers, the exhaust is directed directly into the underside of the rear quarters. Not to mention, the sound is sort of like a top fuel dragster guzzling a 90/10 mixture of nitromethane & methanol while performing a burnout. (Note: my mufflers are somewhere between MD & CA at the moment, so I've started the car a few times just to savor this aural insanity).

How long does the whole process take?
Usually a few days shipping, a few days for the work, and a few days for return shipping.

Andreas
Old 11-23-2008, 09:45 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write-up Roc.

I am really liking Darin's car (especially following ) even more with his Stage IIIs.
I just went to Stage II on my wife's cab yesterday and drove about 90 miles today. Had Darin's Stage I prior.
Even with the soft top, more is definitely better
Old 11-23-2008, 11:07 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I am so sold.

My car is stored fpr the winter, but I cannot (incompentant) jack it up to RR the cans. I'll try to work something out with my mehanice when I go for an oil change this week (before storage). Maybe he has aspare set up cans for me or I can drive it home without mufflers.

Has anyone from Canada done this exchange thru Darren? How long does the whole process take?
I have exchange sets available. I just need to know Bischoff or Gillet.

Originally Posted by roche
no problem hearing the radio or talking to your passenger. everything inside the cabin is *almost* as quiet as stock. no resonance at all.
It is definitely a little louder than stock in the cabin, but not too loud at all. Radio and talking are still fine

Originally Posted by e9stibi
sound file?
Click here.These are the mufflers on Roche's car
Old 11-23-2008, 11:13 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Thanks for posting. Please give us an update after your drive today. I've got Supercups on the 95 and though they sure sound nice, they're too much for more than a couple hours. I want to put something on the 97 but can't decide between Stage II or III.

Thanks.
Tim.....Stage III. You do not get the drone, like you do from Supercups. They are closer to the Supercup volume with none of the ill side-effects. I even like the tone a little better. Supercups have that "V8" sound, while Stage III still retain the Porsche sound, just very aggressive.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:23 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the youtube sound bites Darin! I thought I was finished after Stage I, but that new sound is really calling my name, I don't know how long I can ignore it
Old 11-23-2008, 11:39 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pstraub
Love the youtube sound bites Darin! I thought I was finished after Stage I, but that new sound is really calling my name, I don't know how long I can ignore it
Paul, I just got my personal set of Stage IIIs ceramic coated. I shaved off the heat shields for ultimate lightness and a superclean look. I am in Oregon until Thursday, so I haven't even put them on yet! I'll post some pics when I get back.

Quick Reply: FISTER stage III installation and impression